PDA

View Full Version : How many machining steps does it take to build a Glock?

Plate plinker
01-30-2017, 12:30 AM
The thread about the New sig service gun has trip my mind up about this.

Any machinist have a educated guess?

GONRA
01-30-2017, 06:07 PM
GONRA wonders how one attributes "machining steps" to a stamping?
Maybe add up the actual nr. of "machining step"s then say "plus X stamped parts".

dkf
01-30-2017, 07:11 PM
If they are doing it right they can do all the slide machining on one machine. If not they probably have a cell of machines set up for start to finish of the slide. I would assume the barrel blank is hammer forged on one machine and them the forged blank goes to one more machine (lathe with live tooling and sub spindle) for finishing. I will say though Glock does a very good job on machining with a very good Ra on all machined parts. Much better than some companies, like Ruger. Ruger does not change cutting tools often enough.

dragon813gt
01-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Ruger does not change cutting tools often enough.

That's an understatement. I'm tired of sending guns back to them to be finished. They should have never left the factory to begin w/.

Plate plinker
01-30-2017, 09:24 PM
GONRA wonders how one attributes "machining steps" to a stamping?
Maybe add up the actual nr. of "machining step"s then say "plus X stamped parts".
Sure why not.

Bookworm
01-31-2017, 06:58 PM
Machining steps ? For a Glock ??

I thought they just poured them in a mold and let 'em cool - like the rest of the Tupperware.

6bg6ga
02-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Machining steps ? For a Glock ??

I thought they just poured them in a mold and let 'em cool - like the rest of the Tupperware.

Spoken by someone who probably has never owned one. Just kidding I liked the Tupperware comment.