PDA

View Full Version : Star BM Stuck

joatmon
01-29-2017, 11:56 PM
The slide is stuck to the rear with about 1/32'' movement, will not go forward! Any thoughts?
Aaron

Crank
01-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Bulged barrel?

Mark

pietro
01-30-2017, 07:24 PM

IDK how familiar you are with autoloading CF handguns, so at the risk of preaching to the choir, check:

1) If the empty magazine (follower) has activated the slide stop, as normally when shot empty. (remove the magazine, the slide should then close)

2) If the barrel/slide bushing at the front of the slide might not be correctly seated or have some other issue.

There could also be issues with the internal mechanics of the gun.

Here's how to dis-assemble & re-assemble the Star - during which you should be able to discern what's wrong:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?737-Star-BM-Assembly-Disassembly

If you're hesitant to do so, then I would advise taking it to a real gunsmith (not some parts-changer).

376Steyr
01-30-2017, 07:29 PM
Broken barrel link is my guess.

cainttype
01-30-2017, 09:07 PM
The link is very possible... The OP doesn't say if the gun was firing fine and suddenly malfunctioned, or if the gun was being reassembled and jammed up.
If this happened on reassembly, try to remove the disassembly pin (slide-stop lever) and double-check to make sure it goes through the link on reassembly. If the pin misses the link's hole the gun will jam up.

country gent
01-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Another place to look is if this pistol uses a rubber or fiber recoil buffer, I have seen them come apart and tie up the slide.

joatmon
01-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Sorry for the lack of info, the jam was on the line and I have pulled the mag. The slide is a little back past where the slide stop could move up to lock the slide. No recoil buffers used and no extra recoil or report that I could see.
Thanks Aaron

JHeath
01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
I don't know this design but might the disconnector be sticking up for some reason?

Der Gebirgsjager
01-31-2017, 03:25 PM
I've got a pair of these--great pistols. There are so many questions a situation like this brings to mind which only you can answer, but the answers to which we don't know until we ask. The answers may help to give a diagnosis.

Have you fired the pistol before? Have you disassembled and reassembled the top half of the pistol for cleaning after firing? When this event occurred, was it the first shot (ever) (of the day) (of that magazine)?
Click to enlarge.

To disassemble the pistol you will have to remove the magazine. Assure yourself that a round does not remain in the chamber. The pistol will have to be as shown in the next photo, with the thumb safety engaged in the notch just forward of the finger grip serrations. If I have read your previous posts correctly it must be in close to that position now. This is a very sturdy pistol design, and there isn't much about it that is easily broken. If it is not quite in the disassembly position as shown in the photo you will somehow have to get it there. If the slide needs to go forward a bit then try a medium-hard smack or two on the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet. More than likely a small part has come loose inside and is jamming it up. To get the slide into disassembly position you will have to get that part to move inside to free movement of the slide.

If you can get it into this position (above), then the slide stop will come out easily--almost fall out. There is very likely a foreign object (dirt, twig, little rock) or fragmented small component part in between the barrel and slide. If you can jiggle it around and make it shift position you may be able to get the slide to move a bit. Use a rubber mallet and tap the top of the slide a few times, try it, tap the side of the slide, try it, etc.

Once the slide stop is removed the slide can be moved forward off the frame. Again, if it won't go, a little urging with the rubber mallet will probably solve the problem.

At this point you will be able to ascertain what the problem is. There isn't much to come lose inside the top half of the pistol to jam it up. The barrel link has a cross pin that is a tight fit to begin with, and then it was staked. There should be no movement in the pin at all. If it was loose and managed to move a bit sideways it might jam the gun, however when the barrel is in place in the slide there is not enough room for it to come all the way out and float around. Another suspect would be the captive recoil spring. It is held onto the recoil spring guide (rod) by sort of a "C" clip washer beneath the end cap. This is unlikely to just come off, but if it has been removed and not replaced properly it might break and fragment (s) get between slide and barrel to cause a jam. Less likely, but anything is possible, the recoil spring itself may have broken.

The disconnector-trigger-sear bar, disconnector, and sear are all visible when the right side grip panel is removed. When the slide is in the rear position the disconnector can not be up, as it is forced down by the slide as illustrated by the presence of the screwdriver in the photo.

Since it's already been several hours since your original post we'll hope that you solved the problem. If it's still jammed, then I'd try the rubber mallet and the other instructions, above. Look at it this way: Something is probably already broken or the problem wouldn't have happened. The design is such that you're unlikely to break anything else by forcing the slide forward, although perhaps the fragmented part or foreign object may cause a gouge or scratch--which is unavoidable. Parts aren't too difficult to find, and the pistol is of no use the way it is. One final piece of advice, once you get it apart be certain that you have found the problem and get it fixed before reassembling. Good luck to you with this project.

DG

NoAngel
01-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Man, there ain't much in life that sucks more than a stuck BM. ​Maybe pour some prune juice on the slide? :kidding:

Der Gebirgsjager
01-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Cruel, just cruel! And evil. [smilie=l::groner:

SOFMatchstaff
01-31-2017, 04:52 PM
I didn't see anywhere in the above posts that addressed the first thing to check, IS the gun LOADED...... visually or a pencil down the barrel. Since it locked up on the firing line, I can assume it was a failure to extract or a failure to complete the feed for some reason, ammo related.. If there is a case in the chamber, either empty or live that is Tightly stuck, you will get exactly what you describe. If it is easy to lever the slide back with a small screw driver to see if it will move. the 1/32" movement is just about what the extractor slop would be. You may also try to dis-engage the extractor by pushing in on the rear of the extractor .

joatmon
01-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Sorry for the crappy explanation! Here go's.
Have shot this gun many times before, have had slide off before for cleaning and no problem with getting back on, this day was on line with a few clips down range (yes I typed clips) and on the last one I fired two shots and the slide locked back almost 1/4'' back past where the slide stop would go up and lock the slide there fore also past the thumb safety slot (in the full rearward position) there was no shell in barrel and the clip dropped right out, gun is empty. The slide will barley wiggle.
Thanks for all the help and Der Gebirgsjager those pic's are GREAT!!

joatmon
01-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Well the rubber mallet worked!! I see some scratches and will update this post when I determine what made them.
Aaron

Update Crank you nailed it! Must have missed a low report and shoved one behind a stuck one. Now to look for a barrel cause I love this little pistol!