PDA

View Full Version : Contender & Pachmyer

contender1
01-29-2017, 10:20 PM
A recent post brought out a little confusion about the Pachmyer grips & forends offered for the T/C Contender. The Pachmyers allow a shooter to enjoy heavier recoiling calibers w/o as much pain as experienced with the factory wood grips. Considering the initial calibers for the Contender weren't hard kickers,,, the wood was fine. But as different calibers came along,,, recoil became uncomfortable & even painful.
Pachmyer came along & their grips tamed the beast & allowed for very good shooting with the kickers.
To compliment the grip,,, they also built a rubber forend,,, and to allow it to attach to the barrel,,, they built an adapter to mount to the barrel, then the forend could be screwed to the adapter. This Pachmyer forend was for the bull barrels,,, and as such,,, there are 2 main different lengths when this was offered initially. A 10" & a 14" bull barrel was the 2 common lengths. As such, Pachmyer had 2 different barrel adapters,,, called "barrel blocks" to fit either one. A short one,,, & a longer one. A 10" bbl only had one screw for the factory forend,,, while the "Super 14" had 2 screws & a different factory forend. So, Pachmyer made 2 different blocks. Later on,,, it was discovered that you could use just the longer block & they dropped making the shorter bbl block.

I've had a Contender in my stable since the 1970's,,, and I've got several still. I also have many barrels to allow me to enjoy this fine firearm.
I wanted to show the different barrel blocks,,, so as to clear up any confusion.

http://i.imgur.com/1X5kNJh.jpg?1

Intel6
02-03-2017, 01:09 PM
I never knew there were two sized bars for the forends? I only ever had the longer 2 screw ones as I had mostly 14" bbls. The one 10" bbl I had I just stuck the bar on with one screw and it worked fine. I managed to get some extra blocks so I could leave them on the bbls and just move the rubber forearm.

contender1
02-04-2017, 09:39 AM
I too have blocks for all my barrels.

charlie b
02-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Mine was that way too. I liked the all black look better than the stock stuff, besides it being more comfortable to shoot. Especially on those hot days at the range when the hands sweat. I still have fond memories of shooting my .30 Herrett at 400m plates.

jmorris
02-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Never had any pain from the grips, the trigger guard/spur have gotten me before though.

dubber123
02-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Never had any pain from the grips, the trigger guard/spur have gotten me before though.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_3023.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/dubber123/media/IMG_3023.jpg.html)

Heres one for you :) It's actually not too bad

475BH
02-05-2017, 03:02 AM
You sir will not get a call from PussyGalore.
Although she prolly would send you a smile or two.

hendere
02-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Thank you for this, I've been trying to understand the subject and this made it clear. One more question, do these fit the octogon barrels?

contender1
02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
These blocks do not fit the octagon barrels.

hendere
02-06-2017, 10:23 AM
My luck. Thanks!

Pee Wee
02-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Actually, they do, as I have two Octagon barrels, One is 44 Mag/Special and one is 38 special. I have Pachmyer on both of them.

contender1
02-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Now I have to go & check my octagon bbl & a Pachmyer block. I'm thinking I tried this long ago,,, and due to the taper of the octagon,,, as well as the flat vs. round,,,,,, the mounting screw & all didn't work.