PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of "rude" forums!

Triggernosis
01-29-2017, 02:00 PM
And that's why I come here.
It seems that 90% of the firearms/shooting/outdoor forums are filled with rude, vitriolic comments that are totally unproductive to the discussions at hand. One particularly bad forum is a certain "campfire" one.

I don't cast boolits, nor do I ever intend to, but I come here for the great, honorable discussions and good advice that everyone seems to share.

Are there any other decent, respectable shooting and outdoor forums that y'all like to follow?
The SmithandWesson forum seems to be a good place.

Love Life
01-29-2017, 02:01 PM
The 1911 forum is really good.

ole 5 hole group
01-29-2017, 02:29 PM
^^^ ya, that's a good forum but some of those guys go crazy when discussing a 1911 for hunting "anything", as some seem to believe deer wear Kevlar and hogs are dangerous game - but they are a good bunch.

tim338
01-29-2017, 02:38 PM
That's why I am here too. A good bunch of people on this site. The other sites not so much.....

johnson1942
01-29-2017, 02:49 PM
here is a reality orientaion moment. i will quote a new blackpowder cartride shooter recently on a another web site but this is for all of them. he said, i recently got into blackpowder cartridge shooting and i love it but on the internet and at the range they are the biggest bunch of assssssssssss hol--------------s i have ever met. i will just deal with it and keep shooting. a lot of guys fell they have the keys to the kingdom of every thing. just deal with it and get to know the good guys like your self. anybody can punch out garbage on the internet or be vocal at the range. the science shows that the dumber you are and the less knowledge you have about anything the more your sure you know everything about every thing. always remember this. to be called a idiot by a nut job is the highest form of praise you can ever get. welcome to the bunch and hope to hear from you often. thanks for your post.

OptimusPanda
01-29-2017, 03:49 PM
I forget where I heard this..."If you want an idea about what the average Internet forum is like, go to a high school chess club, then hand out guns and meth." Seems about right for most places.

Randy Bohannon
01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Colt Forum,Paco Kelly's Lever Guns.,Shiloh Sharps Forum.

Hickory
01-29-2017, 04:02 PM
We have our moments here, the moderators are good at cracking the whip when needed or bringing down the ax when necessary.
Stay out of the pit for a more harmonious experience here.

bubba.50
01-29-2017, 04:31 PM
and it ain't all peaches & cream or cornbread & buttermilk here either. drop down & hang out in "The Pit" some time just for chits & giggles. :holysheep

Walkingwolf
01-29-2017, 04:34 PM
It's the internet, not just gun forums. I think rude is sometimes healthy, though personal insults, and threats are not. Some sites have tighter rules, or rules enforced more, they tend to be slower. I belong to several, but only participate in three anymore, left Glock forums a long time ago. I am also regularly posting on opencarry.org(OCDO), and rugerforum.net. IMO OCDO is the most polite with a very fair moderator, Ruger comes in second. Both are the complete opposite of both Glock forums.

waksupi
01-29-2017, 05:16 PM
here is a reality orientaion moment. i will quote a new blackpowder cartride shooter recently on a another web site but this is for all of them. he said, i recently got into blackpowder cartridge shooting and i love it but on the internet and at the range they are the biggest bunch of assssssssssss hol--------------s i have ever met. i will just deal with it and keep shooting. a lot of guys fell they have the keys to the kingdom of every thing. just deal with it and get to know the good guys like your self. anybody can punch out garbage on the internet or be vocal at the range. the science shows that the dumber you are and the less knowledge you have about anything the more your sure you know everything about every thing. always remember this. to be called a idiot by a nut job is the highest form of praise you can ever get. welcome to the bunch and hope to hear from you often. thanks for your post.

Correct on the BPCR guys. That is why I quit going to the big shoots, and only do the invitationals with select shooters who want to have fun. Not to mention they are the better shooters in the game. I think they have me in for comic relief, as many of them have never seen anyone miss a target as far as I can, while still insisting I am indeed shooting at the right target.

slim1836
01-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Welcome, looks like another will be casting soon.

Slim

kmrra
01-29-2017, 05:26 PM
This is a great fourm here but you will get the occasional snide smart A## here too but not that often ....its happened to me this week also but you will find a wealth of information here, all the guys here are great about helping you out

country gent
01-29-2017, 05:39 PM
A Good Day to you and everyone. Enjoy and participate in the forum theres plenty of information here for the taking in the stickies and even more for the asking. While its cast boolits there a lot of info for swagers, Jacketed bullets, Glue bullets, handguns, rifles, both smokeless and Black powder. Something to remember though its not the shooting discipline, forum or get together that makes it fun or a chore but the people there and their attitudes. The people here are the best of the bunch.

Skunk1
01-29-2017, 07:11 PM

Well said. My daughter and I are getting into BP (she's bending my arm so far I can't say no). I will have many questions and they will be asked here.

CastingFool
01-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Try www.talkhuntin.com Nowhere as large as this forum, just a bunch of guys that love hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting, and God. It's a great site, but no one casts boolits, except me. I'm working on changing that, too.

wddodge
01-29-2017, 07:45 PM
I think they have me in for comic relief, as many of them have never seen anyone miss a target as far as I can, while still insisting I am indeed shooting at the right target.

Now that is good humor... I may have to borrow that line one of these days with your permission.....

Denny

jonp
01-29-2017, 08:32 PM
The 1911 forum is really good.

I'm there as well as Shooters Forum and a couple of others. There are several out there that are very good and answer sometimes silly questions from members like me without talking down or ridicule. Snipers Hide is not one of them. I doubt many on that forum even own a gun.

Love Life
01-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Snipers Hide is not one of them. I doubt many on that forum even own a gun.

True, but the ones who do shoot .000000003 MOA all day long if'n they do their part.

Snipers Hide used to be really good. Good people, along with good info, and the spats were usually between experienced shooters. Rough language, but expected on a forum with a lot of alpha males.

Now Snipers Hide is pure garbage. I only go there to poach cheap parts and components from wannabes who overspent on their credit cards.

tomme boy
01-29-2017, 08:35 PM
When you see this color here, it is someone being sarcastic! I think it was Love Life that started it so blame him and Doe Run!

xs11jack
01-29-2017, 08:52 PM
I think that we come here for a little relief from the rat race. But every now and then real life intrudes and people get a bit nasty until the Mods calm them down. It is just the nature of humans to be competitive. I try to avoid the screamers and stick with the people I trust and enjoy.
Ole Jack

dragon813gt
01-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Forums are what you make of them. There is plenty if vitriol here. But it's pretty well contained. There is always going to be an "expert" and there will always be rude people. Some even go as far as calling themselves humble to throw you off. If you don't go to every site possible you will miss out on information.

Murphy
01-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Rude forums...sigh. I've bought my first computer back in 1998. The internet seemed like such a large place at that time. And, for the most part people had some common courtesy back then.

Fast forward: Now we have your idiots who know just enough about their smart phone to get on the internet and wreck havoc. I'm not saying all smart phone users are the problem, but I would venture to say many couldn't start a desktop or laptop computer and get online if they had to. I had no idea there were so many 'experts' in the world in regards to the shooting world until the past 10 years.

I've joined sites and went to their chat rooms, only to find out they didn't seem to care to chat to anyone who was new to the site, not too hospitable in my opinion. The people on this site are the best, I haven't even bothered to return to a lot of sites because this one has spoiled me.

Murphy

LUBEDUDE
01-30-2017, 12:42 AM
This is a great fourm here but you will get the occasional snide smart A## here too but not that often ....its happened to me this week also but you will find a wealth of information here, all the guys here are great about helping you out

Five years ago, me and another member got off on the wrong foot and we both took offense to each other.

Rather than fight it out in the open we went to PM. We soon discovered that we were both at fault and had a lot in common. Soon we were polite and became friends. That's what I like about the folks here. We truly are brothers in arms. (Sorry MaryB, brothers and sisters) :)

tommag
01-30-2017, 04:26 AM
To put it another way, I've always said that those with the least knowledge are the most generous with sharing their knowledge.

Idaho45guy
01-30-2017, 08:15 AM
left Glock forums a long time ago. I am also regularly posting on opencarry.org(OCDO), and rugerforum.net. IMO OCDO is the most polite with a very fair moderator, Ruger comes in second. Both are the complete opposite of both Glock forums.

The owner of one of those Glock forums is an atheist and has allowed open season on Christians for years... The past few years it has gotten ridiculous with the amount of over-bearing and rude posters that infiltrate every thread.

6bg6ga
01-30-2017, 08:23 AM
bottom line.....no forum is perfect. Sometimes someone posting something doesn't realize that what he posted can and will be taken a number of different ways. Simple solution.....if you don't like something someone posted you can always find another thread to read or simply leave for a while and come back when you've calmed down.

Texas by God
01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
This is the best forum I have found. I visit it daily because of the nice people and to gain and share knowledge. Of course you run into differences of opinion but that's entertainment. Best, Thomas.

10x
01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
It usually ain't the forum that is rude. It is rude people who like to bully and intimidate.
Good moderators weed out the bullies, blowhards, and keyboard commandos leaving a group who I like to chat with

My thanks to the Cast Boolits mods

10x
01-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Rude forums...sigh. I've bought my first computer back in 1998. The internet seemed like such a large place at that time. And, for the most part people had some common courtesy back then.

Fast forward: Now we have your idiots who know just enough about their smart phone to get on the internet and wreck havoc. I'm not saying all smart phone users are the problem, but I would venture to say many couldn't start a desktop or laptop computer and get online if they had to. I had no idea there were so many 'experts' in the world in regards to the shooting world until the past 10 years.

I've joined sites and went to their chat rooms, only to find out they didn't seem to care to chat to anyone who was new to the site, not too hospitable in my opinion. The people on this site are the best, I haven't even bothered to return to a lot of sites because this one has spoiled me.

Murphy

You missed "Usenet news groups". There are some Facebook gun groups that are a social media disaster.
Bullies, blowhards, personal attacks, soapbox vitriol, and "seldom right but never in doubt".

Cast boolits is a great forum with great folks willing to listen, educate, and guide.

w5pv
01-30-2017, 10:23 AM
To me the best policy is Shoot,Shovel and Silence,I have had the mods to delete some of my post but I just get over it and go on to some other subject.

Mytmousemalibu
01-30-2017, 11:01 AM
There isn't a better site or wealth of knowledge on the web!

white eagle
01-30-2017, 11:13 AM
I find that a bunch of the rudeness comes from sub forum headers like
the Pit,the Church or any political religious areas and the like
seems some can't handle the discussions that can happen there
otherwise I just blow off non related responses as ignorance of topic

HABCAN
01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Reading here it's obvious to me there ARE OTHER gun/shooting forums (fora). Gee! Who'dathunkit?

waksupi
01-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Now that is good humor... I may have to borrow that line one of these days with your permission.....

Denny

Feel free.

Sorry to hear about your shooting skills! :kidding:

kmw1954
01-30-2017, 01:28 PM
If permissible these are the forums I regularly visit and contribute to.

Cast Boolits, This site, very good
Taurus Armed, very good and not just Taurus firearms
The Firing Line, Good
Shooter forum, Good, slow at times
iBoats Forum, Great boating forum that covers everything. Members are much like here
Lake-Link, Great site for those in the area, Midwest hunting and fishing site.
TinBoats, Good site more limited to smaller Tin fishing boats.

I find most public forums are more a reflection of the members than it is the topic. The ones which show the fewest mod interdictions are the most friendly as the members seem to police themselves and are more civil to each other. I tend to shy away from forums that are loaded with Fanboy's members. I go to forums to enjoy myself and learn new things not to promote a product or bash another. I see it many times in gun or hunting/fishing forums where people pipe up a comment like that product is Junk, get rid of it. You need this! Then go on a tirade as to why their product is the only one to use. But they never answer the question that was originally asked or offer a solution to the original problem other than to get rid of their Junk product.

Teddy (punchie)
01-30-2017, 01:32 PM

Murphy

Well Said !!!

Blackwater
01-30-2017, 01:39 PM
It's you guys who make this place what it is. As the newest and still very much learning mod here, I can assure you that we try to intervene as seldom as necessary, and only when the terms of service are violated pretty clearly. We DO allow dissensions to take place in the pit much more freely than on the rest of the forums here, because it's clearly stated on the header you click on to go there, that you should expect to be challenged and occasionally offended by posts there. When a large group of people discuss things like politics and religion, things always tend to get out of hand sooner or later, but there, we tend to (as much as possible, barring serious violations of the TOS) let things seek their natural outcome, in hopes (!!!) that maybe the body posting there might learn to curb themselves, so as to maybe not take a disagreement quite so personally. That seems often to be a pipedream, but sometimes, its really best in the long run to let folks fight it out, providing they don't violate the TOS substantially. But ..... some folks never seem to learn, and those can be a problem. If you go there, just try as hard as you can to keep in mind that, as Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does," and try your best not to be driven to stupidity by letting your emotions get the better of you. Do that, and you'll fare well, but when a large group discusses politics and religion, we all know going in to it that it's gonna' get kind'a messy sooner or later. It's just how that works when we humans choose to enter there. But it's amazing how many good and poignant posts occur there, too, so .... it's a case of having to wade through some mud to get to the real pearls. If anyone knows or has an idea how to change all that, PLEASE let us mods know about it! And I mean that sincerely, too!

But all in all, it's always been the great folks here who have and do make it what it is and has become. I think I can speak for all the mods when I say a very sincere "Thanks" to all of you for your gracious knowledge and gentlemanly behavior. It matters, and it matters a LOT! Thanks, guys. You're the greatest bunch I've ever seen or heard of on the whole worldwide 'net!