PDA

View Full Version : Lee Press Linkage

OutHuntn84
01-29-2017, 01:08 AM
Alright so I've got an itch to take a Lee C Press and flip it upside down as a dedicated push through sizing press. However I'm pretty sure that the angle of the handle will not be very ergonomic. So what I'm thinking is change out the original lineage and handle from the C Press with the adjustable grip and linkage that Lee uses on all their other presses. From pictures it looks feasible. Can anyone let me know if these parts will be interchangeable?

Drew P
01-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Alright so I've got an itch to take a Lee C Press and flip it upside down as a dedicated push through sizing press. However I'm pretty sure that the angle of the handle will not be very ergonomic. So what I'm thinking is change out the original lineage and handle from the C Press with the adjustable grip and linkage that Lee uses on all their other presses. From pictures it looks feasible. Can anyone let me know if these parts will be interchangeable?
I've always wondered why the upside down press is a good idea, can't you just put a hose on top to guide them into a bin?

dikman
01-29-2017, 08:15 PM
I've always wondered why the upside down press is a good idea, can't you just put a hose on top to guide them into a bin?

I just find it easier, a tube guides the boolit into the die via gravity, pull (or push) the handle and it drops down into a container. No risk of crushing fingers(!), works well for me. It is also possible to semi-automate this process, but because my press isn't permanently mounted I haven't bothered with this.

OutHuntn84
01-29-2017, 08:45 PM

Not so much about where the boolits go after they are sized but loading the boolits into the sizer. Instead of sitting the boolit on the ram you just drop it nose first into the sizer die and run the ram.

TCFAN
01-29-2017, 09:26 PM
I use the Lee hand press up side down clamped in bench vise with a coffee can under neath to catch the boolits.The handle works on the down stroke when the press is up side down and that makes sizing boolits very fast.I can do 500 .358 semi - wadcutters in not very many minutes.

OutHuntn84
01-30-2017, 10:27 PM
I use the Lee hand press up side down clamped in bench vise with a coffee can under neath to catch the boolits.The handle works on the down stroke when the press is up side down and that makes sizing boolits very fast.I can do 500 .358 semi - wadcutters in not very many minutes.

Are you using the "C" frame press or the challenger series "O" frame press

WebMonkey
01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Neither, the hand press.
Held in the hands rather than bench mounted.

TCFAN
01-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Are you using the "C" frame press or the challenger series "O" frame press

The Lee Hand Press. From the Lee web site............ http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

The only way I could mount it was in a bench vise.

OutHuntn84
01-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Aaaah I see said the blind man. Somehow I scorned right past the hand part lol. That would be a super simple method. Are those made out of cast iron or aluminum?