PDA

View Full Version : Ready for 1st service rifle shoot. SMLE.

JeffinNZ
06-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Team.

I am attending my first service rifle shoot this coming weekend. Loaded up 55 rounds for the SMLE yesterday and all clipped up. It's a beautiful thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0092.jpg

Load is:

CBE 313 200 GC, oven heat treated clip on wheel weight + 2% babbit, BHN 23.
41gr AR2209 (H4350), WLR primer, 2000fps. Duplicate of the Mk VI .303 load of 215gr at 2050fps.

Will report on the shoot later.

3006guns
06-29-2008, 08:17 AM
It's a VERY beautiful thing! Good luck and enjoy the shoot.:-D

garandsrus
06-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Jeff,

Good luck...

John

Boz330
06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Good luck Jeff. I have never been able to get my #1 to shoot cast. I'm thinking the area ahead of the chamber is eroded to the point it needs an oversize boolit. I believe CBE makes one. The same 314299 shoots great in my #4 but it has been arsenal rebuilt and has a new barrel.

Bob

RU shooter
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Good luck to you! Are your service rifle matches like ours in the states where only the rifles that were issued and used by your countries military are allowed? Or is it open to any and all Military rifles ? BTW whats with the "all CLIPPED up" thing I thought you guys got all bothered when they were referred to anything but a CHARGER !:-D

Echo
06-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Way to go, KiwiJeff! It IS beautiful! And good luck!

JeffinNZ
06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
BOZ: Get hold of Jim at CBE. He is just releasing RIGHT now a couple of oversized .303 moulds. One is 238gr and the other will go about 210gr. Both are .318 in the mould so would suit those with 88 Commission rifles too.

RU: We can shoot any military rifles but mostly the bolts will be Lee Enfield as they are very common here of course. Thought I might get a M44 or M95 carbine just to blind the natives with the muzzle flash. Figure if they can't see the targets I stand a better chance.......[smilie=1::-D

Bigjohn
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Good work there, Jeff.

I see your rifle still appears to have the magazine cut off plate installed?

Let us know how it all goes.

John.

Frank46
06-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Jeff, don't know if you have already done this. Take a small file wrap with some #320 or 400 grit silicon carbide paper and where those holes are in the sides lightly stroke the inside of the chargers to remove any burrs that may have been created when those things were made. I've already done this on some of the chargers I have and it cuts down on scratching the brass and the rounds feed way better through them. Some of the chargers I have are heavily parkerized and removing it and the burrs makes a world of difference. I take no credit for this as I read this somewhere and just pass it on. Works great on parkerized sks clips as well including garand clips too
as you run into some that are heavily parkerized. Hope this helps who knows? Frank

JeffinNZ
06-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks Frank. I will check them tonight.

Buckshot
06-30-2008, 01:40 AM
.................Well the rifle and ammo looks good, and ready to go. Good luck on the competition, but most of all enjoy yourself! I'll be looking forward to reading of what happened.

..................Buckshot

JeffinNZ
10-12-2008, 04:51 AM
FINALLY got to shoot the old girl in the service rifle shoot today. The last one in July was cancelled due to snow.

Pretty happy given my first outing at such. Put six from ten hits on the walking target at 200m so very happy with that. Target is about a three - four feet tall and held over the top of the butts on a stick then walked for 7 seconds. Two shots required in 7 seconds.

50 round match and all timed. 10 at 100m. 20 at 200 and 300m. All over pretty quick. The poor old SMLE has not been that hot in many years.

15 shooters and only 2 bolt actions. My SMLE and a guy with a Mosin who did not fear well as he had no stripper clips. No difference in time given for bolt over self loading rifles so I had to work hard. The semis were 1 x SKS, 1 x FAL, 2 x M14 Chinese copies, balance AR15 clones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN0208.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN0209.jpg

Sorry photos are a bit off. Broke the LCD screen on our brand new camera while I was out. . SWMBO was most displeased.

skeet1
10-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Jeff,
It sounds like you had a good time. I wish I could have been shooting with you.

Skeet1

RU shooter
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
FINALLY got to shoot the old girl in the service rifle shoot today. The last one in July was cancelled due to snow.

Pretty happy given my first outing at such. Put six from ten hits on the walking target at 200m so very happy with that. Target is about a three - four feet tall and held over the top of the butts on a stick then walked for 7 seconds. Two shots required in 7 seconds.

50 round match and all timed. 10 at 100m. 20 at 200 and 300m. All over pretty quick. The poor old SMLE has not been that hot in many years.

15 shooters and only 2 bolt actions. My SMLE and a guy with a Mosin who did not fear well as he had no stripper clips. No difference in time given for bolt over self loading rifles so I had to work hard. The semis were 1 x SKS, 1 x FAL, 2 x M14 Chinese copies, balance AR15 clones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN0208.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN0209.jpg

Sorry photos are a bit off. Broke the LCD screen on our brand new camera while I was out. . SWMBO was most displeased.

Way to go Jeff, Those tagets look alot more interesting for a service rifle match than the boring 6 moa. black dots we use ! And folks theres a shooter No mat, No scope stand, no coat Just a man and a rifle down on his belly in the grass. I have been pushing the match director at our club to start a match like that no fancy stuff no alibies no sighter shots, just your rifle ,sling and ammo.

Tim

PAT303
10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Way to go Jeff, Those tagets look alot more interesting for a service rifle match than the boring 6 moa. black dots we use ! And folks theres a shooter No mat, No scope stand, no coat Just a man and a rifle down on his belly in the grass. I have been pushing the match director at our club to start a match like that no fancy stuff no alibies no sighter shots, just your rifle ,sling and ammo.

Tim

All right Jeff!!.That is how we shoot over here,on the grass and go.It is funny how in NZ you can still have semi auto's but in Oz their banned,we are even having people trying to ban figure targets as well.In the SSAA you can't use them and animal targets are the next to go.I started the comp at my old range and we had LE,mosin's,mausers,arisaka's,P14-M17,M10,swede's and the bench rest boys hated us.Have fun. Pat

MtGun44
10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Jeff,
Sounds like a fun match. glead to hear that NZ is still free enough to own
semi autos, I was very sad to hear it when Australia banned them, what
a shame.

A more detailed explanation of the course of fire would be appreciated. Do
you actually shoot while walking or walk, stop then shoot and walk some
more? How fast for how many shots at the different distances?

Thanks for the report.

Snow in July - definitely not Kansas. You would probably think it would
be weird to have snow in January!

Bill

TCLouis
10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
RUShooter
I agree, great to see service rifle shot like a service rifle. Pad of som sort does not bother me, but the jacket and sling and glove combo make me wonder what it would be like if it were pad and sling only. Scores would drop from lack of all the additional support supplied by the gear, but would be "Service Rifle" shooting then.

Oh well I would love pad only service rifle matches.

The only place I see those targets here is in the military "sniper" competition.

PAT303
10-13-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree,too many matches have been taken away from what they were originally about. Pat

JeffinNZ
10-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Sorry guys. Forgot the detail.

OK. First up we use the local NZ Army range and their targetry. SCORE. Still, it's funded by the tax payer of which I am one so................

Shoot for the day is 50 rounds as follows;

100m snaps. Smallest target, 5 second exposures, two shoots, 1 shot standing then drop to kneeling for second round. 5 exposures for 10 rounds.

200m walking man. Prone unsupported. Moving target up for 7 seconds, two shots per 7 second exposure. 5 exposures for 10 rounds.

200m kneeling/sitting timed. 2 shots in 20 seconds on small target. Target lowered and raised again with marker for shooter sighting. Balance of 8 rounds in next 40 second exposure.

300m prone times. 2 shots in 20 seconds on tall target. Target lowered and shots marker for sighting. Balance of 8 rounds in next 40 second exposure.

300m standing in pit, supported. As above.

All over pretty quick.

Echo
10-13-2008, 02:54 AM
What a neat match! Gets away (somewhat) from the equipment-loaded matches we usually see. Wwill see what I can do about getting something like that started here...

AzShooter
10-23-2008, 01:36 AM
BOZ: Get hold of Jim at CBE. He is just releasing RIGHT now a couple of oversized .303 moulds. One is 238gr and the other will go about 210gr. Both are .318 in the mould so would suit those with 88 Commission rifles too.

I just ordered the 316 220 from CBE. It should be here in 6 weeks or more. I like the fact that it's not a GC. Hope it shoots well for me.

My Enfield mikes out at .315.

Boz330
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I just ordered the 316 220 from CBE. It should be here in 6 weeks or more. I like the fact that it's not a GC. Hope it shoots well for me.

My Enfield mikes out at .315.

How did you get ahold of them? I sent an e-mail and never got an answer to my inquiry and they don't seem to be set up to order on line. I'm interested but it is a pain if they don't respond to e-mails and they are half way round the rock.
It seems that more and more companies are getting to where they don't answer e-mails.

Bob

AzShooter
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Make sure that when you send an E-mail to them you ask for verification. I had mine come back that it was not deliver and sent another. We've now exchanged e-mails a few times.

Keep trying.

Doug Bowser
10-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Jeff,
Our club shoots a postal match with the Wellington Service Rifle Assn. One year we shoot American Rules, the next year we shoot New Zealand rules. We have done this for the last 3 years.