PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Sizer

Dave Jackson
06-29-2008, 04:10 AM
For my sins, I just bought a Lyman 45 Bullet sizer on Ebay. I know I'll have to clean it out and probably replace some seals.

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the old manual for this thing?

Also, I'm loading .45-70 and .50-70 cast bullets using Ron Long custom moulds. I'd bet good money that the top punches sold by Lyman won't fit the noses of my bullets. Why couldn't I make a flat top punch and push the bullets through upside down so that the punch bears on the flat bases of the bullets?

Any advice is welcome.

Ivan the Butcher
06-29-2008, 07:35 AM
You can size nose first only in sizers where the bullet passes all the way thru, like a Starr or the Lee beat thrus. If you use a Lyman or RCBS that way it gets messy in a hurry. You can use that "flat' top punch on flat nose bullets, like the 405 FN 45-70 or the "cowboy" pistol and a few semi wad cutters. It is a good way to cut down the number of top punches you end up with.
While you cleaning up yous sizer don't forget to clean the sizer dies too. I've found that 1 sizer for SPG lube and 1 for something else is a good long term set up. Lyman has everything you need , and there custermer service is real good.
One last item; top punches and sizer dies for Lyman 45 and 450 as well as RCBS are all interchangable, so when you're looking you have more choices.
Ivan teh Butcher

James C. Snodgrass
06-29-2008, 08:46 AM
If you have got one that is close, clean it well miix up some acra glass add to the punch and invert place new bullet in the glass straight, also don't forget to put a release agent on the bullet. I've done this a lot and it works well. James[smilie=1:

NuJudge
06-29-2008, 10:13 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/Lyman_45.pdf