PDA

View Full Version : Will this burner work ?

vrh
01-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Needing to buy a burner and pot to melt some lead.
Will this high pressure propane burner work?
What type and size of pot would everyone recommend?186447

daengmei
01-28-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't know specifics of my burner except it is similar to your pic and is a turkey fryer. I use it with a 40lb pot and have so far cast many ingots and a few bullets. Make sure you use a thermometer, it will most likely get too hot once the lead is liquid. Other things to consider, are the legs capable of supporting the weight you are melting and if using it outside, some kind of wind protection will help hold the heat. Be safe.

DerekP Houston
01-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Only part that has me concerned on that model is the weak legs, I'd be hesitant to load it up too heavy. BTU wise I'm sure it'll melt lead just fine. I'd look for a cast iron pot or stainless steel to hold your melt.

jmort
01-28-2017, 02:05 PM
This is $58.99 with free shipping
You will not find a better deal
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-outdoor-range-patio-stove-with-hose-guard/554BPHP17.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA6bq2BRC6ppf0_83Z1YIBEiQAgPYNvUhOCB6Q bOAM_4AR-NZ7QUflSxI0ZizNsCKT2QMn25MaAlKj8P8HAQ

Mike W1
01-28-2017, 02:08 PM
I'd think it'd be fine for smelting and will echo the comments above as to a thermometer and leg strength. Gets pretty hot under there. Far as a pot I have one that easily holds 45 pounds but have settled on a cut-off propane tank for the extra volume it gives. My furnace was retrieved from the dumpster at work years ago and works fine but one of the things I like best about the rig is the gas regulator is easily adjustable for pressure and has a gauge. When the melt is hot I can cut it down to a trickle and just maintain temperature. Have not noticed others running a regulator of that type but wouldn't be without one having used on. I can regulate right on the furnace but the tank one is more convenient.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/SmelterPot_zpsa494754f.jpg

308Jeff
01-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Needing to buy a burner and pot to melt some lead.
Will this high pressure propane burner work?
What type and size of pot would everyone recommend?186447

I have that EXACT burner. Bought it for $20 off of craigslist. I use a 6 quart enameled dutch oven for my pot. Got that one for $5.00 at Goodwill.
I have melted up to 90lbs of isotopes and roofing lead with that setup with no issues. Even when the supports have gotten red hot, there's been no sagging.

I say go for it.

country gent
01-28-2017, 02:56 PM
That burner and stand should do fine. If you have access to a welder those legs can be stiffened pretty easiy. Simply add a piece of 1/8 thick cold roll in the opening and weld in as a bridge between inner and outer legs and weld every couple inches. This will make them very strong and solid. I might add leveling feet to it but that's not really necessary either. I would cut a old propane tank about 2-3" above the bottom radious for a pot and it will hold a little over 100 lbs once the legs are stiffened up. Another trick is take th original base of the tank and cut a ring from the tank roughly 2"-3" wide and weld to pot for a bigger base to make it more stable. This also allows the heat to flow over the whole base and acts as a shield holding heat in. My Set up is a stand and weed burner with the above pot. If I do it right I can have 120lbs of alloy molten in 20 minutes and ready to cast. A thermometer is necessary as these pots burners will get you to over 1200* other wise. I have 2 valves on my burner a lever valve for on/off and a ball valve to adjust flame to maintain temp. Once up to temp the ball valve is barely open to maintain temp.

bosterr
01-28-2017, 03:29 PM
If that's the SP10, it does fine with my cast iron 3 quart sauce pan into which I typically load with 60 or more.