PDA

View Full Version : Used presses value?

sawinredneck
01-28-2017, 05:59 AM
I've come across some used reloading equipment and I'm not really sure how to value it fairly for the seller and myself, I'm hoping you all can help! Keep in mind this is want, not need equipment.
First piece is an MEC, I believe Jr 600 in 12ga. It's rusty, not sure it has a charge bar or not, bottles are busted and I don't know if it's frozen or not, I told him a value of $50 and I really don't even want this piece.
Next, I honestly screwed up and opened my mouth before really evaluating everything. This is a Dillon RL550b mostly? complete, with extra tool head and powder measure. It's set up for 38/.357 right now, extra tool head is 9mm. One powder measure has no res or cap, I can't find the other charge bars, I'm assuming they both have the small ones? No conversion kits, no shell plates, don't know if the locator buttons or tool head pins are there. He's ham handed and I really didn't realize all the little parts that could get lost until after I'd looked it over.
I initially valued this at $350, then I heard the rest of the story and looked at it again. This all came out of a flooded house then sat in a garage for ? years. The press is locked up in the down position. So it's rusty, locked up, no extra primer tubes/conversion kits, has the low powder and primer sensors, but are they any good? Lots of unknowns to me.
I just bought a Lee classic turret that suits my needs, this would be a nice upgrade for sure, but money is tight and it's not a "must have" for me. He'd like it out of his garage, really wants to sell it all as a package, and just doesn't need it. It's his deceased fathers gear.
So please help, what would be fair for everyone here? As I said, I'd valued it at $400 until I found out the Dillon was locked up and found out the whole story, so that's on me!

NC_JEFF
01-28-2017, 06:56 AM
$100-&125. The MEC sounds like it's unusable. The Dillon needs to be returned for rebuilding, even if you break the ram loose it is prob gonna wear fast but I would offer no more than that. If load a lot on a Lee turret and would have be getting a good deal on the frozen Dillon for me to bite.
Jeff

jmorris
01-28-2017, 08:07 AM
I would call Dillon and ask what a worst case complete rebuild on the 550 would be and go from there.

merlin101
01-28-2017, 08:21 AM
If they cared about the stuff it wouldn't have sat around for years, Id offer $100 and go up to $150 but thats for BOTH!

USMC87
01-28-2017, 08:23 AM
I would factor in 45-50 shipping to Dillon to get it worked over in the price, The Mec is probably just scrap iron now. I would'nt give a penny over $125.00 for all of it.

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2017, 08:24 AM
back when I ran square deals Dillon would rebuild them for free. All it cost was the shipping to get it there. don't know if they still do or not though. Id give them a call and ask. Id offer the guy 200-250 and see if he bites. I know id sure give him 200 bucks if he lived near me.

copdills
01-28-2017, 08:32 AM
I would load on my Lee and look around for another Dillon myself, it sounds like alot of time and extra money to me , but thats just my thoughts

salpal48
01-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Put It On ebay, It will sell
Soak the Machine In Kroil, or PT blasters. Free It up. then Put it On ebay.

SSGOldfart
01-28-2017, 11:32 AM
If they cared about the stuff it wouldn't have sat around for years, Id offer $100 and go up to $150 but thats for BOTH!
Same here

I guess it's going to depend on how much you want it. With money being tight and you not having a real need,maybe you need to pass on the deal??

DerekP Houston
01-28-2017, 12:22 PM
personally I would pass, sounds like a headache and not worth my time. After hearing about the flood damage and rust, I'd value it at ~100 for a set to take it off his hands.

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Why would it be a waste if Dillon would send it back to you completely rebuilt for the cost of shipping????? Id say a 500 dollar press at 200 bucks with a 50 dollar bill laid out for shipping would be a screaming deal for someone who wants to load on a progressive. Sure would be money better spent then buying a lee pro master for about the same money. Guy with a bit of ambition could probably tear it down clean it up and use it as is if the 50 bucks is going to break him.

Lagamor
01-28-2017, 04:42 PM
I live in Wichita.
How rusted is this equipment?
You got any pictures?

toallmy
01-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Make a reasonable offer and see how it goes . A 5 gallon bucket of kerosene and transmission fluid is not a big investment for cleaning them up if not to far gone , ( pitted or eat up - walk away ) . A couple hundred is more than a fair price in my humble opinion if more than that you may be in it for more than the cost of a new or slightly used one by time you get done with it .

mold maker
01-28-2017, 05:38 PM
the MEC is likely a boat anchor for a bathtub toy.
Unless Dillon still offers the rebuild service it could also be worthless.
Save your money and ask here for your needs. There is good serviceable equipment sold and traded all the time. Remember, your betting your life on the ammo you make with it.

sawinredneck
01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
I live in Wichita.
How rusted is this equipment?
You got any pictures?
Got your pm, no pics as yet. He's a friend and like I say, I'm trying to make it fair on both ends. I set $200 cash in front of him, just for the Dillon, but he thinks he can get more on evilbay. I'm starting to doubt that. I really don't feel comfortable offering more, not knowing what I'm getting.
Im of the sort that has lots of time, but limited funds, so some elbow grease on my end isn't a big deal. I also know between my Redding Boss and the Lee turret press, I have my bases covered, for my needs at least. (I'm not bashing the Lee, but the Dillon would sure be a nice upgrade.)
As for the care, as I said, this was his fathers, he died, this guy rescued what he could and stored it as he could, without really knowing what he had. Kind of like an estate sale, in a hurry. So not really his fault there.
But you are all making me feel better with the price I'm at. I may call Monday and see what they say, but I'm certain I'll have to pay for any electronic parts, the sensors, even if they do offer to rebuild it.

r1kk1
01-28-2017, 09:06 PM
the MEC is likely a boat anchor for a bathtub toy.
Unless Dillon still offers the rebuild service it could also be worthless.
Save your money and ask here for your needs. There is good serviceable equipment sold and traded all the time. Remember, your betting your life on the ammo you make with it.

Both MEC and Dillon offer rebuilding service. I have used both companies to do that.

take care

r1kk1

flyingmonkey35
01-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Got your pm, no pics as yet. He's a friend and like I say, I'm trying to make it fair on both ends. I set $200 cash in front of him, just for the Dillon, but he thinks he can get more on evilbay. I'm starting to doubt that. I really don't feel comfortable offering more, not knowing what I'm getting.
Im of the sort that has lots of time, but limited funds, so some elbow grease on my end isn't a big deal. I also know between my Redding Boss and the Lee turret press, I have my bases covered, for my needs at least. (I'm not bashing the Lee, but the Dillon would sure be a nice upgrade.)
As for the care, as I said, this was his fathers, he died, this guy rescued what he could and stored it as he could, without really knowing what he had. Kind of like an estate sale, in a hurry. So not really his fault there.
But you are all making me feel better with the price I'm at. I may call Monday and see what they say, but I'm certain I'll have to pay for any electronic parts, the sensors, even if they do offer to rebuild it.
Stop there and wish him luck. Walk away

back when I ran square deals Dillon would rebuild them for free. All it cost was the shipping to get it there. don't know if they still do or not though. Id give them a call and ask. Id offer the guy 200-250 and see if he bites. I know id sure give him 200 bucks if he lived near me.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

runfiverun
01-28-2017, 09:35 PM
if the ram is frozen in place on the Dillon I would be very leery.
you can get a basic 550 frame brand new with a tool head for 250$
you'll be adding the primer stuff and a powder kit to the ruined one anyway why add it to a jacked up one you get for a little cheaper.
for about 440$ you get it all brand new with the powder dump and primer tool and everything.
why dump that into a rusted up needs a bunch of work press.
I wouldn't give him more than 50$ for both presses if he brought them over to my house.

Lagamor
01-28-2017, 11:48 PM
He can probably do better on evil bay. With Dillon's name recognition someone will overbid.

sawinredneck
01-29-2017, 12:03 AM
if the ram is frozen in place on the Dillon I would be very leery.
you can get a basic 550 frame brand new with a tool head for 250$
you'll be adding the primer stuff and a powder kit to the ruined one anyway why add it to a jacked up one you get for a little cheaper.
for about 440$ you get it all brand new with the powder dump and primer tool and everything.
why dump that into a rusted up needs a bunch of work press.
I wouldn't give him more than 50$ for both presses if he brought them over to my house.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I think $200 is fair on the Dillon, with the extras, the extra powder measure is $50ish imo, so I went above my initial $150 because of that and the extra tool head. BUT, I've no idea the state of the dies, etc.
i know they are worth more than $50 to me, at least the Dillon is, if they won't fix it, I have access to a machine shop and lots of time.
But im thinking my $200 number is solid.

sawinredneck
01-29-2017, 12:05 AM
He can probably do better on evil bay. With Dillon's name recognition someone will overbid.
This is looking more viable all the time.

BNE
01-29-2017, 12:09 AM
I would load on my Lee and look around for another Dillon myself, it sounds like alot of time and extra money to me , but thats just my thoughts

My thoughts exactly. I bet you will spend what a new one would cost to get it up and going. I would offer $50 and walk away happy either way it goes.

Lagamor
01-29-2017, 12:16 AM
They'll rehab it. That's why so many people buy them. Plenty of other good brands out there to choose from, but they don't have the "lifetime of the press" warranty. That's why they hold their value so well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2017, 12:20 AM
personally I would pass, sounds like a headache and not worth my time. After hearing about the flood damage and rust, I'd value it at ~100 for a set to take it off his hands.
+1

It all sounds like junk to me. If you had experience in refurbing that kind of stuff, you wouldn't need to ask us what it's worth. I'm thinking you'll regret dealing with it/them. I'd recommend pulling the handle on your turret press a few thousand times before you jump into rebuilding junk.

WJP
01-29-2017, 01:57 AM
I'd pass unless you can get it for $100 and have the time, parts, and experience to finish them. You may have luck with Dillon and Mec for rebuilds but I don't know if there no BS warranty covers missing parts. I would highly doubt it.

Iowa Fox
01-29-2017, 02:57 AM
I'd pass on the whole deal no matter what the price. Dillon doesn't rebuild them for no charge any more and they charge you for any missing parts. Go to their website and check the charges for a rebuild. Or shoot them an email with questions and they will tell you what it will cost. A rusty Mec isn't good for much of anything.

Andy
01-29-2017, 09:27 AM
I would be shocked if he netted more than $200 on ebay, you were kind to even offer him that. The MEC would never sell so it is only of very small value to sell locally to someone who wants to put time and money in to fix it up, if it's not frozen with rust it's maybe worth $20, if it's frozen it is worth nothing. The 550 isn't going to sell for more than $300 even after it is rebuilt. By the time you figure fees, cost of rebuild and and shipping to buyer, he would be very lucky to net $200 selling it on ebay, and that's if he keeps shipping prices low and lucks out with the right buyer.

Barring something extraordinary like dillon offering to rebuild it free (worth a call I would imagine) I would not offer more than $150 for it unless it looked like I could (and wanted to) fix it up myself to excellent condition.

It sounds like he has unreasonable hopes for the price of the stuff, and it was his father's so that's not unexpected. As a friend I think you should find a polite reason to walk away from this, after he sees what it will cost to ship it and/or get it fixed up he will likely be calling you and asking if you still want it. At that point you can buy it with both of you happy instead of him feeling like he didn't get enough and you feeling like you paid top dollar.

dragon813gt
01-29-2017, 09:52 AM
$20 cash on the spot, take it or leave it. I don't take on projects for any real money. There is a penalty for not taking care of your tools. The MEC isn't worth anything. The Dillon is worth the $20 I'd offer. I know they have a no BS warranty but I would not want to test it w/ a flood damaged press.

StratsMan
01-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Dillon still has a fabulous warranty, but if you want a rebuild for a worn neglected press that has no warranty problems, the price is $75 plus freight.

I think you offered him a gift at $200... If he wants to play for the highest possible dollar, then walk away.... I would have topped out at $150... Too many unknowns with missing parts...

DerekP Houston
01-29-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm also wagering a guess that if the presses are in that bad of a condition with rust, the dies and other parts are toast as well. Add in the cost of replacing all the missing parts and just the time/effort wasted to refurb I'd rather spend a bit more for a new unit. I've heard about dillons no bs warranty, but I've also read on here about them questioning some parts now. Not only that, but not being familiar with the machine myself I'm sure I'd forget 1-2 minor parts and have to reorder them again later (either more shipping or more phone calls to dillon).

I'd leave your offer as is, it was more generous than mine. Let him put it on evilbay with the other buyers and watch it sit collecting listing fees.

toallmy
01-29-2017, 12:40 PM
:wink: I have realized in my lifetime that if I by something new or used I generally pay to much for it , but that is because I want it . Now when I don't want it anymore the value to me drops a lot so I like to think I got my money's worth out of it wile I used it . After I'm done with something I generally just pass it along to someone that can use it . Thank God I don't do this for a living .

sawinredneck
01-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Yeah, for not much more I can get a new 550b. Not much more an RL550. A little more a 650. Then since I'm there just go ahead and get the 1050! Where does the madness stop?
I guess I'll see if I can free it up and list it on evilbay for him, with commission, as he doesn't know how or care to learn, and let the chips fall where they may.
Like most of you, I thought $200 was a very reasonable offer. He's got a couple of old chipper shredders that have been sitting for years he wants me to get running for him so I'll take my offer money and what I make off them and look into a new press afterwards.
Thanks again for being honest.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2017, 07:57 AM
even if the rust caused some pitting. emery it down to smooth out the pits a bit and it would probably run as good as a new one for the rest of your life. I think some here are causal loaders that shine there presses up after using them. Look at my 550. Its only about 10 years old and its dirty and theres paint missing on it. Its a tool to load ammo not a show piece in my loading room and it does that very well. Id about bet a dime to a dollar that a good soaking of jb blaster and a little elbow grease would get you a good functional press at half the price or less then a new one. Might not impress the clean your press after every use or wipe down those wrenches and put them back in the box in the exact same place every time type of guy. But who flipping cares.

tstowater
01-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Boat anchors...Both of them. Unless you are sure that it is a 550B, you are going to need to convert a lot of extra pieces. Missing pieces and replacement parts will more than nickel and dime you to death. Unless you are dealing with surface rust, bet that the dies are junk. I would pass and either buy a better used machine or a new one.

Free is probably too much for the MEC.

I don't mind projects, but this doesn't sound good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

halvey
02-04-2017, 11:58 PM
I've come across some used reloading equipment and I'm not really sure how to value it fairly for the seller and myself, I'm hoping you all can help! Keep in mind this is want, not need equipment.
First piece is an MEC, I believe Jr 600 in 12ga. It's rusty, not sure it has a charge bar or not, bottles are busted and I don't know if it's frozen or not, I told him a value of $50 and I really don't even want this piece.
Next, I honestly screwed up and opened my mouth before really evaluating everything. This is a Dillon RL550b mostly? complete, with extra tool head and powder measure. It's set up for 38/.357 right now, extra tool head is 9mm. One powder measure has no res or cap, I can't find the other charge bars, I'm assuming they both have the small ones? No conversion kits, no shell plates, don't know if the locator buttons or tool head pins are there. He's ham handed and I really didn't realize all the little parts that could get lost until after I'd looked it over.
I initially valued this at $350, then I heard the rest of the story and looked at it again. This all came out of a flooded house then sat in a garage for ? years. The press is locked up in the down position. So it's rusty, locked up, no extra primer tubes/conversion kits, has the low powder and primer sensors, but are they any good? Lots of unknowns to me.
I just bought a Lee classic turret that suits my needs, this would be a nice upgrade for sure, but money is tight and it's not a "must have" for me. He'd like it out of his garage, really wants to sell it all as a package, and just doesn't need it. It's his deceased fathers gear.
So please help, what would be fair for everyone here? As I said, I'd valued it at $400 until I found out the Dillon was locked up and found out the whole story, so that's on me!

Sounds like a lot of headaches to me.

rbt50
02-05-2017, 02:27 AM
I would not buy any of it.

jetinteriorguy
02-05-2017, 08:58 AM
I would take the time to catalog all the missing pieces, figure up how much they are going to cost. Then I would take detailed pictures of the press, add these to a detailed description of the press and send this info to Dillon and see what they will cover under their warranty or charge for a rebuild. Then subtract these costs from the market value of a good used unit and think twice about making an offer. Not to mention your time and effort to deal basically with a pita to even get it taken care of. So what I'm saying is if this all sounds like one giant pita, it is and I'd just walk away.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Buy the Dillon, box it up, and send it back to Dillon. The warranty is for the life of the product. Several years ago they had a picture of one that was in a fire in the Blue Press. Owner sent it in as a joke. Dillon sent him a brand new one, no charge. I haven't bought another brand since, other than my Holy A4...

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2017, 08:45 AM
yup when I had my fire they told me find any piece of it to prove you had it and they would replace it. I couldn't find a thing and told them so and sent them a picture of the burned building. A week later I had a new press at my door. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy that press. Id about bet the farm that Dillon will make it at least run like new. they probably aren't going to do anything for the cosmetics but never saw a competition for the best or cleanest looking press. I wouldn't doubt if the original owner sent it in and told them it was flood damage and had pics of the flood they wouldn't sent him a new press.

OS OK
02-06-2017, 10:49 AM
I don't have any numbers for you but I do have a thought that might be worth considering for all of us old farts...
I was thinking about how our re-loading and casting gear gets lost, unidentified...mis-handled and all that when we pass on. All my kids learned loading when they were very young but none of them are into it like I am...so, I was thinking how the wife could best sell my gear and get the most out of it when I'm gone.
I asked a trusted friend and one of the fellas I taught to load/cast if he would oversee that for the wife, he's 20 years younger so it's a fairly safe bet he'll be there when I'm gone. I'd hate to see all the gear I have get sold for so much less than what I have into it, heck, the wife sacrificed too all these years so I could have all the tool-toys I wanted. The loading gear is only a small portion of all the machines and hand tools I have...Sam promised me he would do that for the whole shop...then he said, "Nuff bout that, OK? You ain't going nowhere soon!"

Rolling Stone
02-06-2017, 09:06 PM
I do have a thought that might be worth considering for all of us old farts...
I was thinking about how our re-loading and casting gear gets lost, unidentified...mis-handled and all that when we pass on. ...so, I was thinking how the wife could best sell my gear and get the most out of it when I'm gone.
I asked a trusted friend and one of the fellas I taught to load/cast if he would oversee that for the wife, he's 20 years younger so it's a fairly safe bet he'll be there when I'm gone. I'd hate to see all the gear I have get sold for so much less than what I have into it, heck, the wife sacrificed too all these years so I could have all the tool-toys I wanted. The loading gear is only a small portion of all the machines and hand tools I have...Sam promised me he would do that for the whole shop...then he said, "Nuff bout that, OK? You ain't going nowhere soon!"I've been to a lot of these rodeos and all I can say is "You're to old to believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus" for the whole shop That is what he'll get for almost nothing.

OS OK
02-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Sam has more tools and equipment than I do, his shop is almost three times the size of mine, he doesn't want anything I have.
Sam and his extended family are trusted friends...

Why do you have such a sour grapes attitude? Never had a friend?

Rolling Stone
02-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Look, I'm in my seventies, I have had a lot of friends. I have lost a lot of friends and seem what happened to their stuff. I was raised to not be a vulture but people like me are in the minority. My neighbor when I first married and bought a house was about forty years my senior. He owned an electrical contracting company. I borrowed tools from him when I couldn't buy them, on what money I had. When he died, people came out of the woodwork. The story was Bill had borrowed this or that and I want it back. When the deal was over, his family was plucked clean. Like a dead chicken. I have paid attention since then and it has gone the same in almost every instance. A friend will take over and it all disappears and if there is a little money, the family gives it to them for the effort of disposing of the stuff. Evidently it is you who hasn't paid enough attention to what is going on around you. I am selling or giving away what I want, to whom I want, NOW. Even as well as you think you know your family, don't think they will do anything the way you would. Have a good day and do what you will. It would be terrible if we had to look down and see what has happened to our treasures after we are gone. I borrow nothing and my wife has agreed to this pact. When I die, anything at my place is her's. I would like to hear the explosion when someone says to her, "I loaned that to your husband"

sawinredneck
03-03-2017, 02:54 AM
Not really sure how this got so sideways, but.....
Somehow he hit me up the other night about buying it all again, I told him I had an interested party that was willing to consider paying more for it than I would, a member here showed interest. He told me $150 bought everything that night. Well, I'm broke for a couple weeks now! No way I could turn that deal down!
The MEC is a 600 jr in 12ga, everything is there, needs new bottles, has a 1 1/8 charge bar and seems to all function decent.
The Dillon, some penetrant and "persuasion" with a brass hammer on the bottom of the ram, freed up. No pitting on the ram and a few cycles it freed up to nice and smooth. I was thinking about cleaning it up and ordering the parts it needs but remembered a few suggested asking Dillon. Sent an email and got a response the next day, they are waiting on me!
For $67.95 they will clean, lube repair/replace what it needs as long as you can pull the handle!
Im saving my pennies up to send it in!
Thank you all for the help.

toallmy
03-03-2017, 07:07 AM
I think you will like your new press , and I am glad you made the deal . If you are sending it back to Dillon for rebuilding , take some before and after pictures to share with cast Boolit members .

sawinredneck
03-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Already have some before pics, forgive my messy garage!
The Dillon,

sawinredneck
03-03-2017, 01:41 PM
The MEC,

sawinredneck
03-03-2017, 01:43 PM
There's a guy on evilbay that will refurb the MEC for $50, not sure how I'm going to go with it yet.

toallmy
03-03-2017, 05:30 PM
It looks like you have a nice press in the works , without breaking the bank .

kmrra
03-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Money well spent , looks like

sawinredneck
04-01-2017, 12:14 PM
The Dillon is on it's way, should be there Monday. Funny, it was $6 difference for priority vs. standard shipping?
Hopefully I'll have after pics in a couple weeks! Maybe I'll be able to save my pennies and be able to order the rest of my wish list by then, I can dream lol!

poacherjo
04-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Wow you made one hell of a deal on that!! You can clean that mec up and sell it on ebay for around 100 bucks then you can toss some more cash the 550's way!

TNsailorman
04-05-2017, 08:01 PM
I had been watching this and thinking about the Dillon and MEC. After seeing your pictures I think you got a heck of a bargain. I am glad to see that you sent the Dillon back to refurbish, they do a bang up job with their customer service and that is the reason they have such a faithful following, including me. I never had much dealings with MEC but I understand that they too have an excellent rebuilding service. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of the Dillon after they send it back to you. james

DerekP Houston
04-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Not really sure how this got so sideways, but.....
Somehow he hit me up the other night about buying it all again, I told him I had an interested party that was willing to consider paying more for it than I would, a member here showed interest. He told me $150 bought everything that night. Well, I'm broke for a couple weeks now! No way I could turn that deal down!
The MEC is a 600 jr in 12ga, everything is there, needs new bottles, has a 1 1/8 charge bar and seems to all function decent.
The Dillon, some penetrant and "persuasion" with a brass hammer on the bottom of the ram, freed up. No pitting on the ram and a few cycles it freed up to nice and smooth. I was thinking about cleaning it up and ordering the parts it needs but remembered a few suggested asking Dillon. Sent an email and got a response the next day, they are waiting on me!
For $67.95 they will clean, lube repair/replace what it needs as long as you can pull the handle!
Im saving my pennies up to send it in!
Thank you all for the help.

Good deal. I have a feeling your buddy wised up to your offer after sleeping on it. Hard to beat cash in hand vs a "maybe" sale sometime in the future.

sawinredneck
04-15-2017, 03:12 AM
Sorry for the delay, I'd post pics, but really don't see the need, everyone knows what a new 550 looks like! Seriously, EVERYTHING was replaced! There are a couple of scuffs on the "D" frame,but it's not as bad as the one I sent in? New ram, lower assy, handle, primer system, two new powder measures, I can go on, it's basicly all new! They didn't include locater buttons, but an email and they are on the way!
Seriously, I don't "drink the koolaide" for anyone, but yeah, I'm impressed!

lightman
04-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Glad everything worked out for you. I've bought used equipment a few times and will pay up to 75% of what new stuff cost if its in good or better condition. Dillon (and a few others) set the standard for customer service!

toallmy
04-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Good deal , now what about the Mec ?

sawinredneck
04-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Good deal , now what about the Mec ?
I'm still focusing on the Dillon, I need to get the 38/357 conversion and a "W" powder funnel with another tool head. That will get me set for all my hangun loads. I'm debating spending the $50 and shipping to the guy on evilbay, or just going after it with a wire brush and a couple of rattle cans? There's a great hobby shop in Wichita that I'd like to support more, I may just take it to them, have them look it over and buy what I need from them?
Either way, gotta save my pennies back up again!

toallmy
04-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Nothing wrong with taking your time and enjoying the process .

shafer44
04-19-2017, 12:39 PM
I have bought 2 guys out of their reloading stuff in the last few years. One guy had 2 Hornady progressive shotgun reloaders, 1 MEC progressive shotgun, primers, wads, powder, 50# shot, all the shot and powder bushings, lots of empty shell casings....$200. The other guy had a Dillon 450 that the only thing wrong was the main shaft was gummed up, just a spray of WD40 got it going, 5000 rifle primers, 600 boolits, 4 sets of dies, loading blocks, mtm ammo boxes, calipers, RCBS 10-10 scales, Forester case trimmer, Dillon press had 3 shell conversions and all this he only wanted $200. I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough for either of these deals. Deals are out there, you just have to be look and know what you are getting. Both Dillon and RCBS will replace any parts that you break or lose for FREE.

sawinredneck
04-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Saved up some more pennies and ordered the .38 conversion kit and "W" funnel, this gets me .38/.357, 9mm and .40/10mm. Still need to get the spares kit and other odds and ends later on.
Whats everyone's thoughts on the Dillon tool kit, is it worth the money or just buy my own pieces?
I've got to get another member paid for a mold before I do anything else, jut trying to get an idea what is and isn't worth buying from Dillon.