PDA

View Full Version : question on 16" min

bearcove
01-27-2017, 11:10 PM
I have always assumed that the 16" min rifle barrel length in the USA is from the breech face to the end of the barrel. That is how I have thought of it for T/C and other singleshot rifles.

Does this follow for other action types?

I have a marlin guide gun I want to cut and recrown the barrel to remove the ported part.

I don't want to do it if some dufus is gonna put a tape on it and say "Well you KNOW! Its only 15 and 3/4" from the front of the receiver to the muzzle. HMmmmm. That ain't right. should be 16"

I will have 15 and 3/4" of "exposed" barrel after removing the ports. And 16"+a bit to breech. I think this is OK.

But? Opinions please.

Thanks, Rod

M-Tecs
01-27-2017, 11:42 PM
Correct. The one time I watched a BATF agent check he had a rod that fit in the bore and made contact to the bolt face.

bearcove
01-27-2017, 11:49 PM
That's what I thought but the Gremlins been messing with me and giving me doubts.:twisted:

Artful
01-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Correct. The one time I watched a BATF agent check he had a rod that fit in the bore and made contact to the bolt face.

Yep, what he said as far as barrel length and don't forget overall length as well.

pietro
01-28-2017, 01:01 PM

FWIW:

The following is a description of the measuring process directly from the NFA Handbook produced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE).

The BATFE procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.
Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face.
The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

Nothing to do with a minimum, revolver barrel lengths are measured the same way, except they are properly measured from the muzzle to the face of a straight edge, held against the rear end of the barrel, ILO the breech-face.

Shotgun minimum barrel length is 18", measured as above.

The US minimum LOA (length over all) for a long gun (rifle/shotgun) is 26" (with any folding stocks in the extended position, not folded).

A long gun, with measurements less than the minimum requirements for barrel length and/or LOA, make it an SBS (short barreled shotgun) or an SBR (short barreled rifle), subject to a hefty fine and/or jail time for anyone that does not have the $200 Federal (BATFE) permit to make, buy, or possess such firearms.

bearcove
01-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info
Rod

merlin101
01-28-2017, 04:02 PM
measure twice and cut once! Actually if it was me I'd measure countless times and then have someone else double check, but then again I'm a little paranoid about some things.

bearcove
01-28-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm a pipefitter, its just 1/2" schedule 160 pipe. Measure, cut, face, crown, gravy.

rusty marlin
01-28-2017, 10:48 PM
Just a suggestion, don't get too close to that 16" min. Arguing over .020 with a guy using a sharpie and tape measure is going to go poorly. We like to keep them at +.2 min.

bearcove
01-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Yep an extra 1/4" is good