PDA

View Full Version : Roll Crimper

jh45gun
06-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Went to a gun show this morning and bought this roll crimper for 5 bucks. I found the following article and pic on the web:

Found a picture online with this article. Picture and the first paragraph were actually at the bottom of the article.

http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/ust.jpg

if you see one of these grab it!!!! this one is an old us cartridge company tool no.12,these can be found on e-bay and in tools sections,most people dont have any idea what they are so its marked nice old tool? or something to that liking.either way i like them alot.too bad i have only one for my reloading.

Roll Crimping Your Own!!!!!!!!!!
roll crimpers can be had in antique or old tool shops or possibly your local gunshop!
i picked mine up and am glad i did,brownells makes one you can use in a drill but i like the old hand crank tool method myself of doing it.plus the shells just look downright better with an overshot wad above the double ought or number twos for duck etc and nicely roll crimped.especially for older short chambered guns or if you have a stash of old slug hulls you want to re-use again.sometimes one can start a star crimp on a rolled shell tho but i find that a 50-50 shot on my old pacific loader,it does or dont half the time for me.with my roll crimper i just put the overshot wadcard over the shot charge i desire and then insert it and crank the handle as i apply pressure on the handle that pushes the shell in.works just fine.with some 2 3\4" shells you can get away with just cutting off the star crimped part about 3\16"-1/4" and still get a nice roll crimp to do the trick.the beauty is also if you own an older shotgun with a 2 5\8" or english 2 1\2" chamber you can recreate safe blackpowder loads to use within reason or for cowboy shoots just with fiber wads and overshot cards by trimming the case.one of my faverite loads is one ounce of shot and 55 grains of FF pyrodex separated with a thick wad and an overshot wad on top roll crimped will work nicely in an old marlin 19-s i have in the rack too.if you get a few bad crimps just load them in the right hand barrel and shoot them first. Save the good ones for the second shot. You don't want the crimp opening up under recoil and leaking shot down the bore. Cases that have never been star crimped are easer to roll crimp. Shells that once held rifled slugs are nice.Star crimped shells that have been shortened work OK. Magnum shells work fine after shortening because all of the original crimp is removed. A roll crimp requires a special over shot wad. It is made of thin but strong cardboard; strong enough to stand recoil in
a double gun but thin enough that it will not spoil the pattern. This pattern spoiling is the main reason why modern shells use the star crimp. Stick the card wad over the shot and get it nice and level. There should be about 1/4 or 5/16 inches remaining in the case. Put the shell in the crimping tool and press it in with the lever. Turn the crank until a nice crimp is formed.Plastic Shells. Plastic shells get sort of melted on the inside when fired with black powder and will not take a crimp after about 2 or 3 firings.accept it and throw them away. Paper shells work fine; they were originally designed for black powder.I normally use plastic. It is easer to obtain and is easer to trim and crimp.to trim your shells here is a trick,take a dowel and cut it the length you want for your shell and cut it down so you have room to roll crimp the shell after its been cut.all you have to do is put the dowel in the shell,run a razor over the top of it thru the side of the case and pull its dowel out.now you have a nice even cut and can have the room you need to roll crimp it after you put in the powder and wad and shot and overshot card.neat trick huh? 8o)

Johnch
06-29-2008, 01:02 AM
For some reason your pic will not show
I looked at it by left clicking the red X and pasting the results into my brozer

Some nice info though

I use a nice roll crimper atached to my battery drill

IMO quicker and maybe a little easyer
But I did have to make a hull vice to hold the hull , but that was simple enough

John

jh45gun
06-29-2008, 01:04 AM
It opened for me when I came back here to check on the post?

longbow
06-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm not seeing anything.

Longbow

jh45gun
06-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Blackdog
06-29-2008, 01:19 PM

I get an error saying I don't have permission to view the file.

jh45gun
06-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Weird It is open when I open this board so I must be able to see it since I posted it.

jh45gun
06-29-2008, 03:48 PM
OK I saved the pic so this should work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/RollCrimper.jpg

Johnch
06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
LOL now I can see the pic in the original post

John

jh45gun
06-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Go Figure ??????? Beats me but at least now folks can see what roll crimper I am talking about.

twotoescharlie
06-30-2008, 08:26 AM
got two of these complete loaders in 20 guage,believe they were made by Union hadrware

TTC

jh45gun
06-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Took my 22 into the gunshop today to have them throw it on the bore sighter quick as I put on a Bushnell soope on it with the BDC. Anyway while looking at the shotgun reloading stuff I spyed a box of Remintgon Target hulls new or I should say never fired and factory primed. Number on this is S23474 RXP and I paid ten bucks for the box of them 100 in the box. Not sure how good of a price that is but I figure primers are 3 something a hundred so that leaves 7 for the hulls and since they have never been used should be a good candidate for my Roll Crimper.

steg
04-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Funny thing is I just picked one up a few days ago and was trying to figure out how to post a picture of it to find out who made it..............steg