PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy question

T-Duck
01-27-2017, 10:10 PM
I have been looking for a .357 lever gun and Henry seems to be the only thing in stock anywhere. I was wondering if the model with the heavier octagon barrel is more accurate than the one with the round barrel. If there seems to be no real difference then the lighter one would be my choice.

35 shooter
01-28-2017, 02:20 AM
I don't have actual experience with a Henry, but plan on fixing that this summer.
I love octagon bbl.s., but not real fond of bbl. bands. I'm leaning towards the steel version with round bbl. and no bbl. band.

Seems it would take longer for the heavier, thicker octagon bbl. to heat up on a long string of shots though, which could be a good thing at the range.
I wish they had the octagon bbl. available with no bbl. band.

I've heard good accuracy reports on both styles though. Probably come down to which i prefer to carry while hunting.
The round bbl. version is much lighter.

Hannibal
01-28-2017, 02:47 AM
I bought a Henry .357 Big Boy. Brass alloy receiver, octagon barrel and barrel band. It would shoot most anything fairly well @ 50 yds, but I could find nothing, cast or jacketed, that I could keep 10 shots on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper with @ 100 yds. I bought the Henry receiver scope mount and used a 3x9x40 scope during these trials.
Upon slugging the barrel, I found that at every dovetail, Front sight, magazine tube band and rear sight, plus under the barrel stamping, I had constrictions. I opted to hand lap the constrictions out myself with poured lead laps and 400 grit lapping compound. Took the better part of 8 hrs. to complete. It will now hold an honest 4" @100 yds with Hornady 158 grain FP/XTPs. No, not stellar, but much better than when I started. I can not say what it will or will not do with cast, because I have not tried to ride that horse again with this particular rifle. Just simply have not tried it.
I did not contact Henry and ask for assistance. This is not a Henry bashing post. Just relaying what I found, and what I did to address it.
Hope you find this helpful. I can not say if this is common, or rare circumstance. Just my personal experience.

missionary5155
01-28-2017, 06:54 AM
Good morning
Bought a Henry 41 mag last June round barrel steel frame. Shoots as accurate as I can hold it and off cross stick. With a 265 grain GC and a healthy dose of H110 it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds. Our local range was rebuilding the longer burns so 50-60 yds was all the distance I had to work with. Lighter 240grains down to 185's (thus shorter) Shot the same type groups with Unique (8 grains and less) once the "best combination" was found. All were sized to .412.
I had limited time to work with that rifle so those are the two main lever action powders that got loaded.
Mike in Peru

9.3X62AL
01-28-2017, 04:58 PM
I have a brand-new steel-frame Henry Big Boy in 357 Magnum that got its first firing a couple days ago. My variant has the round 20" barrel.

Prior to range time, I cycled two types of loaded ammo through magazine and action--10 each of factory W-W 158 grain JHP, which cycled flawlessly and ejected normally. This was followed by a handload using Lyman #358156 seated with roll-crimp set in the uppermost crimp groove (the way I have seated this bullet for 35 years for my revolvers). These gave a little hiccup while getting pushed up the lifter, the bullet nose bumping into the receiver-top. This occurred whether the lever was cycled slowly or rapidly. An OAL adjustment might correct this tendency, but I haven't messed with that (yet). FWIW.

Initial firing was tried at 50 yards. The first 3 shots from a cold clean barrel using OEM open irons with a rather cold wind watering my eyes hit about 1.5" apart, 1 inch left and 3" low. Adding one step of upward elevator click made hits land 1" left with elevation "POA=POI". Conditions were far from ideal, mostly due to crowding at the range site, so my test-drive got abbreviated. 20 rounds showed the rifle capable of 1"-1.75" groups at 50 yards, so far. I REALLY like this little critter, and hope to give it a better work-out in a few days' time in a better environment.

T-Duck
01-28-2017, 05:39 PM
I have a brand-new steel-frame Henry Big Boy in 357 Magnum that got its first firing a couple days ago. My variant has the round 20" barrel.

That sounds like the one I've been looking at.

MyFlatline
01-28-2017, 05:57 PM
I have the 16" carbine BBS. I have not tried to shoot further than 50 yards but am happy with the 180 grain cast so far.186467
I have not shot any factory out of this gun yet to see if it makes a big difference.
FWIW, the 45colt is very accurate also.

9.3X62AL
01-28-2017, 06:14 PM
That sounds like the one I've been looking at.

It is a nice-looking levergun. Soft buttplate (not needed for a 357 Mag, but still nice), and sling posts attached. It is shipped ready-to-hunt-with, after a quick sight-in. I see a Skinner rear aperture sight at some point, maybe even (GASP) a 4X SCOPE. Glassware on a lever rifle is like a camper shell on a Maserati in my world, but I even own Glocks--so there is no end to my iconoclasm.

Hannibal
01-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Not my intention to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone other than myself shot any 10 - shot groups @ 100 yds with one? I'm curious if I drew a lemon. As I said earlier, mine would shoot lots of cast stuff well @ 50 yds. But going out to 100 yds was like trying to fly to Mars.

9.3X62AL
01-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Hannibal--

Not yet, sir. I will be doing so on the rifle's next fielding. As a practical matter, given the caliber's capabilities on deer-sized critters I think a 75-yard limit for game animals might be good policy, even with the 180 grain bullets. I wouldn't risk a shot past 100 yards with my 44 Mag levergun, and my 44/40 Win 73 gets a 75-yard limit as well. Now, jackrabbits and coyotes......I might stretch things out some, after a little field trial and test-driving.

Ramjet-SS
01-28-2017, 08:23 PM
My carbine BB brass will shoot 2.00 groups all day at 80 yards 155 grain from an Accurate mould designs for the Henry That's with a 2-7 scope Redfield my load s max load of 4227. Gas check bullet sized .359.

BrutalAB
02-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Not my intention to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone other than myself shot any 10 - shot groups @ 100 yds with one? I'm curious if I drew a lemon. As I said earlier, mine would shoot lots of cast stuff well @ 50 yds. But going out to 100 yds was like trying to fly to Mars.

Mine is the brass 20 inch octagon. It will keep the 200 grain rf by Lee/rcbs in 1.25 inches at 100 yards to 125 yards as long as I do my part. I get the same accuracy with hornadys 180 grain xtp and xtreme bullets' 158 hp.I have yet to get my 170 grain swc to even stay in a 2 foot circle at this distance though.

Edit to add these are 5 shot groups, full tubes generally open to around 1.5 inches

jetinteriorguy
02-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Both my .357 and .41 shoot under 2" at 50 yds pretty easy, haven't tried at anything longer than that yet. If the weather is good next Saturday I have a chance to stretch it out to 100 so hopefully all goes well.

Smoke4320
02-05-2017, 01:53 PM
I was busting a 100 yd NRA ram at 150 very consistently with my henry 45 colt open sights
Probably 3-4" group

joatmon
02-06-2017, 12:01 AM
BrutalAB, is your's a 357?

BrutalAB
02-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Yes it is. It's scoped to. Just switched from a cheap 3 - 9 Tasco to a 4 - 12 vortex.

T-Duck
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
I got the BB steel .357. I shot a few light loads out of it to zero it and it did good. My eyes can't deal with those sights for long though. I'll have to put a scope on it to shoot past 50 yards or 25 really. 7/8 inch was the best I could pull off at 50 yards. Can't wait to get a scope for it so that I can be sure I am aiming at the same spot every time. ;)