PDA

View Full Version : help needed taking apart my pro met...

ROCKET
01-27-2017, 08:14 PM
My pro melt is heating at 1000 + degrees no matter what temp setting I use on the dial. Any of you guys changed the thermostat on those ? I am getting a replacement and I am looking for the easiest way to drill out the existing rivets to change it..

Which side of the panel should I start with ?

pete501
01-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Send it back to RCBS, I had one from the late 1980's and had a loaded 9mm blow a hole in the interior pot. They just about replaced everything except the old sheet metal. They will hook you up.

ROCKET
01-27-2017, 10:50 PM
Send it back to RCBS, I had one from the late 1980's and had a loaded 9mm blow a hole in the interior pot. They just about replaced everything except the old sheet metal. They will hook you up.

Did you get mad at the pot? ;) sorry I couldn't help it :)

pete501
01-27-2017, 11:10 PM
No, an errant round mixed in with blem boolits went in the half filled molten pot..

Walter Laich
01-27-2017, 11:48 PM
I've drilled my out twice--got hold of the outside of the rivet with pliers and drilled the center out.
Four on each side.
works much better if pot is empty

used pop rivet gun to replace them.

really not much to it

No Blue
01-31-2017, 02:52 AM
Why not a PID? Perfect for your situation....You'll want to do it eventually.

hermans
01-31-2017, 04:27 AM
I've drilled my out twice--got hold of the outside of the rivet with pliers and drilled the center out.
Four on each side.
works much better if pot is empty

used pop rivet gun to replace them.

really not much to it

Exactly what Walter said

triggerhappy243
01-31-2017, 12:54 PM
I am leaning with sending it back to rcbs........... just because of the warranty.

frankenfab
01-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Why not a PID? Perfect for your situation....You'll want to do it eventually.

Regardless, I would not leave a known defective part in an electrical appliance.

No Blue
02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Regardless, I would not leave a known defective part in an electrical appliance.

Remove said defective part, wire around it, install PID. The fact that the thermostat has failed closed is the same as a solid piece of wire....But only a fool will let some electrical gadget run unobserved, parts fail and you get fires. Which I figure is what you're hinting at.

I'll run my tumbler for 3 hours without watching or listening to it. BUT, it's on the concrete floor of my garage, nothing flammable near it, and the garage and the rest of the house is fire sprinkler. So if I do get a fire, it gets to 150 degrees at the sprinkler head, then it will put out the fire.

This is the same Midway tumbler they had a recall on when they were catching fire. Mine is 20 years old, so I guess mine doesn't have the defect....

OP, get a PID.