PDA

View Full Version : What's a top of the line brass tumbling rig for personal use?

7Acres
01-26-2017, 01:04 PM
So it's been a while since I joined this site and binge-read every post on a daily/hourly basis. I've picked up some opinions on what a good setup would be. But it has been a couple years and there might be a new definition of what the top of the line brass tumbling setup is today. This is just for me, not production brass cleaning or anything. I've been using a Franklin vibratory tumbler and it's okay. But I want the super clean brass you guys on here can get with the wet tumblers w/ SS pins. (I saw recently that somebody sells a tumbler with SS chips. Chips perform better?) If you were in my shoes and were going to buy the tumbler that you will be proud to own and run what setup would you put together?

Ickisrulz
01-26-2017, 01:16 PM
I think the answer would be a kit from STM. It comes with the SS pins, Lemishine and a heavy duty rotary tumbler that is an upgrade of the Thumlers unit. STM is a site sponsor and can be accessed via the link at the top of the page.

Trophy Tom
01-26-2017, 01:22 PM
SS Chips?
I would also like to know if these are better than the pins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7Acres
01-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Yeah, it sure looks like the STM kit is the gold standard. I hadn't heard of them till now. Glad I asked.

I think the answer would be a kit from STM. It comes with the SS pins, Lemishine and a heavy duty rotary tumbler that is an upgrade of the Thumlers unit. STM is a site sponsor and can be accessed via the link at the top of the page.

5Shot
01-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Don't use chips...they will scratch the brass (ask me how I know).

If you want shiny on the outside, try adding a bit of mineral spirits and some liquid car wax to the tumbling media you currently use. Won't make the inside shiny but that doesn't matter to me.

NyFirefighter357
01-26-2017, 02:22 PM
You can make one very cheaply with a windshield wiper motor, old laptop power source a couple of casting wheels and a metal or steel frame. Add a bucket bottled through with extension nut. You can also set up several different buckets for diff media or just diff sizes. Total cost to make about $50.

Trophy Tom
01-26-2017, 03:30 PM
I'm just using Lyman green right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7Acres
01-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Don't use chips...they will scratch the brass (ask me how I know).

If you want shiny on the outside, try adding a bit of mineral spirits and some liquid car wax to the tumbling media you currently use. Won't make the inside shiny but that doesn't matter to me.

Perfect. That's right I remember reading that now.

lightman
01-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Any of the models used for rock polishing will do a good job and last for years. Google "Big Dawg" and check out the ones that he makes. They are expensive, but will do large amounts of brass and are very well built.

fralic76
01-27-2017, 01:31 AM
You can make one very cheaply with a windshield wiper motor, old laptop power source a couple of casting wheels and a metal or steel frame. Add a bucket bottled through with extension nut. You can also set up several different buckets for diff media or just diff sizes. Total cost to make about $50.
Can you post a couple pictures of this if you made one.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Iron Whittler
01-27-2017, 06:37 AM
It depends on how much brass you need to clean. Rifle or pistol. The weight and size of the brass, and quantity you need to clean will dictate size of tumbler. I use small concrete mixer from harbor freight(150.00) for tumbling. you can do 100 lb. batch or 5 lb. batch. The mixer doesn't know the difference. Should last a long time. A few simple modifications will be needed for optimum operation.:Fire:

salpal48
01-27-2017, 09:39 AM
Before Buying The STM. you should Check several Others. There are 3 Major Tumbler Manufactures. In the US. LORTONE, Diamond Pacific, Covington.. They have Both Professional Grade and Commercial.. All have Commercial Running Motor and Built to Use . My Lortone is Over 25 Years Old and on the same Belt. . There 12 LB is the most Reasonably Prices. Followed By DP, then Covington.. There rock Tumbler. Rock Tumblers are made to Rum Continuos for Months on End. They Never Brake.
. Even Though The STM has a Hi speed Motor, It has No bearing On Performance. . I have both 1550, 1700 rpm/ 3000rpm. and an Extra 1/2 Time Makes no difference. I am Not including Thumler even Though I have One. Due to there Thinner shaft that there using Now. All of the above are US made and Parts are always available.. I am enclosing a Photo of my Tumbles
Don't be Fooled by Fancy Black paint

bobthenailer
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
A+ on the Lortone rock tumblers I have been using them for about 40 years ,
the QT-6 for 40 years and I picked up a used QT-12 about 15 years ago , only replaced one drive belt on the QT-6 . I clean my brass every firing, you can use them with wet with pins or dry corncob.
I would go with the QT-12

7Acres
01-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Following up on the recommendations here is the rundown:

It seems like these two rise to the top:
STM Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17 (http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/reloading-products/tumblers/extreme-tumblers-rebel-17.html) $220 - 17 lbs (2-4lbs of brass) stainless media included
The drum measures: 9" diameter with hexagon shaped drum with opening 7.5", length of drum is 8.5"

Lortone QT-12 (http://www.lortone.com/midsize_tumblers.html) $220 - 12lb capacity (what's that? 1-3lbs of brass?) stainless media not included so an extra $40 for the pins (http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stainless-tumbling-media.html) (now we're up to $260)
6 lb Rubber Barrel Inside Dimensions: 6-3/4" opening x 3-5/8 length

These seem overpriced:
Big Dawg's smallest is a 6" (http://www.biggdawgtumblers.net/tumbler-info.html) for $375 looks to be 12Lbs (5lbs of cases in 7lbs of media). Kith with stainless media included is $425

Covington Single Half-gallon Tumbler (http://covington-engineering.com/lapidary-equipment/tumblers/rolling-tumblers/single-half-gallon-tumbler/) $355 - 6Lbs

This one is way bigger than I need:
Diamond Pacific's smallest tumbler was their 25Lb (http://www.diamondpacific.com/Resources/complete%202017%20catalog.pdf) at $750 - had to download their PDF catalogue to get the details (pg 62).

7Acres
01-27-2017, 01:16 PM
I wanted to find the motor details for the STM vs the Lortone. Maybe I missed it. But what I found was:

STM boasts a "high speed" motor.
Lortone boasts a "heavy duty" motor.

Can anybody who owns either give me more detail? Horsepower, brushed/brushless, etc.?

salpal48
01-27-2017, 03:23 PM
STM has a 3000 rpm. Motor
Lortone Q-12 has a standard Run I believe 1725
the STM Gives a capacity of 17 Lb. . Thumler ModelB has The same dimension but Claims 15 Lb.
Capacity Is Determined How You Measure . If you measure on the Flats . It will Give You One amount
Measure on The Diagonal You get another
The STM capacity is just a selling tool

salpal48
01-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Someone Posted above Lortone 12 Lb. was $220.00 Maybe some Places
Go to The Rock Shed.com
He sell Tumbling Equipment and Parts.
Lortone QT-12 $178.00 + ship
Tumbler Model B Hi speed $197.00
If Your Going to call ask For Shawn

gwpercle
01-27-2017, 04:45 PM
I've been using a Thumbler's Tumbler Model B since 1973 and its still doing it's job.
Only thing replaced is belt. Nothing bad to say about The model B.
I see that they now have units geared just for brass case cleaning , what could be better!
Gary

salpal48
01-27-2017, 04:53 PM
I purchases mine about the same Time . Still going strong same Belt. . The only Change from Then to Now is Original Thumlers. had a Continuos running commercial Motor .( made to run Hot). Now due to Govt Regs all personal Use Items must be Thermal Protected.
Either was There Good

PaulG67
01-27-2017, 07:08 PM
I have been running a Lortone model R40, the label does not mention capacity but I believe it to be something around 25 lbs. I've had it about 5 years. Motor is 1/3 HP, 1725 RPM. I runs very QUIET, I can run it while I am working at reloading and hardly notice it, I like it. I bought it used, of course, as they are very expensive new. I can be used wet or dry.

bstone5
01-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Lortone two drum rock tumble purchased to moly coat jacketed bullets many years ago, now use with stainless steel pins to clean brass has never given a problem all parts are original.
The tumbler has operated a few thousand hours since new and still works, the RPM of the rubber drums is goog for cleaning brass.
Some small rocks have also been tumbled to make smooth also.
Tumble 00 and #4 cast buck shoot to make more round before Hi-Tech coating for loading for shoot gun.

stranded1980
01-27-2017, 08:07 PM
I personally prefer the Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler. Mostly because I like how quick I can unscrew the cap and dump the contents, as well as the all plastic construction, so I never have to worry about rust.

I had the Thumler Tumbler Model B, and although a great unit, and never leaked, I disliked the 6 wingnuts on the cover; it may have only added an extra 2 minutes to undo them, or to tighten them, but over time, those minutes add up. I was also a tad worried about moisture between the rubber boot and the metal frame eventually leading to it rusting out (even though it was unlikely). Even so, when I hosed it out, I was always concerned about drying the metal tub right away. With the plastic Frankford Arsenal container, I can let it air dry with no worries.

I converted to chips over pins for 2 reasons: quicker clean time, and they never get stuck. I also tumble in corn cob media (with Nufinish and mineral spirits) after the brass dries.

Smoke4320
01-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Thumbler B here . Love it SS pins are the way to good for clean brass

AnthonyB
01-27-2017, 09:07 PM
I have the Thumlers Model B, the STM Rebel 17, and the Frankford Arsenal plastic unit. The Thumler and Rebel are built better, but I have used neither since getting the FA.
Tony

Bayou52
01-27-2017, 09:27 PM
I've got a truck load of tumbling hours on my Thumlers Model B. I have no problem recommending this tumbler based on my personal experience. It's a trojan workhorse, in short.

However, since I purchased the Thumlers, the Rebel 17 was introduced. It appears to have a better carriage insofar as the axles use bearings rather than bushings.

It's worth a look.

Bayou52

Big Dog
01-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Can you post a couple pictures of this if you made one.

how about a video ?

I am in the process of making one similar to this

https://youtu.be/MchjmCIvzlY

7Acres
01-29-2017, 03:09 PM
That's pretty slick. Seems a little wobbly though. But if it works, cool! A very economical way to clean brass.

how about a video ?

I am in the process of making one similar to this

https://youtu.be/MchjmCIvzlY

7Acres
01-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Is this the one you referred to: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/713881/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-case-tumbler-110-volt?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Frankford+Arsenal-_-713881&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwrbEBRDqxqzMsrTGmogBEiQAeSE6ZQa1e_LX mYY9Lf5bYzP5F59bIpj3r8ENSrccdaYhQooaAkjh8P8HAQ

I'd have to say, I like that design! The timer, and screw on caps, viewing window and emptying screen. That's actually innovative.

I have the Thumlers Model B, the STM Rebel 17, and the Frankford Arsenal plastic unit. The Thumler and Rebel are built better, but I have used neither since getting the FA.
Tony

kmrra
01-29-2017, 03:53 PM
It just amazes me how thing have changed in the last 30 years, Im using the Barrys Tumbler with corn cob media , works great for me , But I sure like the way the brass turns out with the SS Pins , and im sure I will eventually give in and give it a try , so now Im going to have to put running water in my reloading room along with an oven for powder coating , and the venta hood for casting , im seeing a remodle coming LOL, it a good thing I kicked the wife out of the other half of my devided shop cause im going to need the room , at least the shop is next to the well house and septic tank , if it wasnt for that I think I would just stay old school . Cant have hunin nice

7Acres
01-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Kmrra, my thoughts exactly! I need to put a small utility sink in my shop now.

nvreloader
01-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Since the late 60's I have been running the Model "B"
updated the belt to vacuum belts with a sliding adjustable base,
using 10#'s of pins, cuts the tumbling time in half,
fill it up with brass, H2o, Lemishine, dash of dish soap,
let it run for less than 2 hrs, rinse, dry and ready for the press.

Tia,
Don

DerekP Houston
01-29-2017, 05:49 PM
I personally prefer the Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler. Mostly because I like how quick I can unscrew the cap and dump the contents, as well as the all plastic construction, so I never have to worry about rust.

I had the Thumler Tumbler Model B, and although a great unit, and never leaked, I disliked the 6 wingnuts on the cover; it may have only added an extra 2 minutes to undo them, or to tighten them, but over time, those minutes add up. I was also a tad worried about moisture between the rubber boot and the metal frame eventually leading to it rusting out (even though it was unlikely). Even so, when I hosed it out, I was always concerned about drying the metal tub right away. With the plastic Frankford Arsenal container, I can let it air dry with no worries.

I converted to chips over pins for 2 reasons: quicker clean time, and they never get stuck. I also tumble in corn cob media (with Nufinish and mineral spirits) after the brass dries.

I'm running the Frankford Wet Tumbler as well, works like a champ for my smaller needs. I'll run ~250 cases at a time with the supplied SS pins it came with.

7Acres
01-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Well after being able to research this more this weekend I'm settling on the Lortone QT12. Mainly because it seems to be the most elegantly designed rotary tumbler. The barrel being entirely made of rubber was a big plus for me. I like the way the lid inner lid goes on plus the outer lid secured by a single knurled nut requiring only a hand snug. The Lortone has a belt guard (I've got toddlers and a really dusty shop). The Lortone and STM Rebel 17 were the finalists. I just get the feel that Lortone owners' experience is 100% drama free. No barrel parts to rust, no belt to replace, no leaking, no plastic. It just works and will last a lifetime. Granted there are plenty of Thumler owners who are still running theirs after 30 & 40 years too.

Here's where I'm considering purchasing from:
Lortone QT12 from The Rock Shed (http://therockshed.com/tumbler4.html) $178 +$39.43 S/H (totalling $217.43) or from HayNeedle (http://www.hayneedle.com/product/lortoneqt12rotaryrocktumbler12lbcapacity.cfm?sourc e=pla&kwid=RockTumblers%20level02&tid=KNI011-1&adtype=pla&kw=&lsft=adtype:pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQITy2LVB NNO_6ZhRI0a37zzZB-p-rnuh6ygO8dQhEssaApCG8P8HAQ) $215.80 Free Shipping
.047" diameter SS Pins BullseyeReloading (http://www.bullseye-reloading.com/Pellet-Pins-Tumbling-Media.html) $38 Free Shipping or StainlessTumblingMedia (http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stainless-tumbling-media.html) $39.95 + $6.95 shipping

This gets me in the ballpark of $255 total spend.

And the other accoutrements to be part of the kit: Lemishine, Dawn dish soap, Mineral Spirits, Liquid Car Wax, 5 Gallon paint strainer bag and my Frankford Arsenal brass separating basket.

I'm getting excited to be able to make some super clean brass! Of the four vendors above and their negligible price differences who would you vote for? Any other thoughts before the trigger gets pulled?

7Acres
01-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Trigger has been pulled. I should be in business sometime next week. Thanks for all the input! I definitely would not have arrived at this conclusion on my own.

Now, to hijack my own thread... A very distant secondary objective was to use to tumble rocks. My four year old loves collecting rocks. I thought it would be fun to polish some from his collection and see them getting smoother and shinier over time. I'm going to have to research polishing media for rocks. I'm guessing SS pins have no role in using a rock tumbler for its intended purpose, correct?

Ickisrulz
01-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Trigger has been pulled. I should be in business sometime next week. Thanks for all the input! I definitely would not have arrived at this conclusion on my own.

Now, to hijack my own thread... A very distant secondary objective was to use to tumble rocks. My four year old loves collecting rocks. I thought it would be fun to polish some from his collection and see them getting smoother and shinier over time. I'm going to have to research polishing media for rocks. I'm guessing SS pins have no role in using a rock tumbler for its intended purpose, correct?

To polish rocks you will need "grit" sold for that purpose. You start with coarse and work your way to fine a week or so at a time. The larger quantity of grit you buy the cheaper it will be.

7Acres
01-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Okay, so it's like any other type of polishing or sharpening. Just move up in grit fineness till you get the polish you are going for.

gpidaho
01-30-2017, 04:50 PM
I bought a Lyman Cyclone on sale at Cabela's for $149 with 5lbs of pins I've run about 10 batches so far using 1tsp. Dawn and 1tsp. lemon shine. Brass looks new or better.
I also own the Lyman Sonic cleaner and a RCBS vibrating tub. The SS pin system is by far my favorite. Gp

Phlier
01-30-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm a fan of the Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler setup, too. It may not be "top of the line", but it's pretty darn nice, especially when you consider pricing. The whole system just works.

7Acres
01-30-2017, 06:45 PM
I did see the Lyman Cyclone as I was researching yesterday. I really liked it. It had the timer too like the Frankford. I saw a "teardown" video where they took off the bottom plate. When I saw that the motor was the size of a C cell battery it clicked with me why the timer is there. Partly for as a feature to shut off the unit automatically for you. But I suspect another reason is that they don't want people using them as rock tumblers as the motor is not sized to be running for weeks/months on end. Seeing the motor was enough to turn me off to both the Cyclone and FA's rotary tumbler. If all you're going to do is use it for tumbling brass it's just fine. But I kind of wanted to let my son tumble rocks too. So that helped me on my decision.

I bought a Lyman Cyclone on sale at Cabela's for $149 with 5lbs of pins I've run about 10 batches so far using 1tsp. Dawn and 1tsp. lemon shine. Brass looks new or better.
I also own the Lyman Sonic cleaner and a RCBS vibrating tub. The SS pin system is by far my favorite. Gp

dbosman
01-30-2017, 07:06 PM
About five gallons of water, two to five thousand cases (Pre rinse or pre wash with just water.)
fifteen to twenty pounds of SS pins, couple of table spoons or so of dish detergent, couple of table spoons of citric acid or LemiShine. Push the power button. Couple of hours later, nice shiny cases.

I have a smaller one for winter use, inside.

7Acres
01-31-2017, 10:11 AM
That is awesome. I aspire to accumulate that quantity of brass that I need to deal with someday. Haha!

About five gallons of water, two to five thousand cases (Pre rinse or pre wash with just water.)
fifteen to twenty pounds of SS pins, couple of table spoons or so of dish detergent, couple of table spoons of citric acid or LemiShine. Push the power button. Couple of hours later, nice shiny cases.

I have a smaller one for winter use, inside.

Bayou52
01-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Question for dbosman:

When using a large capacity tumbler like a cement mixer, how do you capture all of the pins when emptying out the cases, and then what procedure do you use to separate larger volumes of pens from all of the brass?

I use Thumlers Model B which has all the capacity I need, and then some, but it's not near the capacity of a cement mixer.

Bayou

Walter Laich
01-31-2017, 11:55 AM
to un-hijack the thread for a minute:

I've used the SS chips for over a year now and find the cut the time in half. I have noticed no scratching--not saying it doesn't do it, just it doesn't do it for me. started out with the STM kit and tried the chips and stayed with them.

using 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine, about 1-2 oz of Armor-All Wash and Wax (this keeps the brass from tarnishing after they are dry) and 1 gallon of water. Tumble for 2 hours and bright and shiny.

found them on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers/ think you have to send him a message and he'll get back to you.

don't have a horse in this race--just a happy customer.

Guardian
01-31-2017, 12:02 PM
These seem overpriced:
Big Dawg's smallest is a 6" (http://www.biggdawgtumblers.net/tumbler-info.html) for $375 looks to be 12Lbs (5lbs of cases in 7lbs of media). Kith with stainless media included is $425

"Seem" is the operative word there. I thought the same thing and decided to build my own. When I was done buying all new parts, I had more in it (plus time) than if I'd just bought one from him. I'm a firm believer that overkill is highly underrated, and those tumblers are certainly overkill for what we do.

If you don't have access to scrap pieces of pvc pipe, it gets expensive building the barrels too. I've got these premade barrels on my list of things to buy - http://www.candmtopline.com/tumbling-barrels/

jmort
01-31-2017, 12:25 PM
What Walter latch said.

^^^ exactly what I have found. I am certain the chips could over-do-it but I am getting great results at 20 to 30 minutes. Which means far less collisions with the steel media regards of whether it is chips or pins. Saving a lot of time is nice.

dbosman
01-31-2017, 08:30 PM
To seperate the pins from a cement mixer dump, I pour into a fifteen to twenty gallon storage tub. I fill it about 80% full and use a Lyman plate type sorter to lift a bunch up through the water shaking the media plate all the while. I do that twice and that empties most of the pins.

Recluse
02-01-2017, 02:04 AM
I'm still using the Thumler's Tumbler AR-12 I bought in 1987. It runs at minimum twice a week and has done so since I bought it. Only things I've replaced have been belts and lids.

Not a fan of stainless steel pins. It may be quicker, but the hassle and PITA factor had me giving away my (stainless) media in a hurry, combined with the fact that I still had to run the brass through one of the tumbler's in media that had a dash of NuFinish in it so as to keep the brass from tarnishing as quickly as it did with just the stainless steel/soapy water media.

I will run the Thumler's for 24-hours in walnut with a capful of mineral spirits and a half-cap of NuFinish. When finished, the brass is shiny clean inside and out. The tumbler is very quiet and I have plenty of brass, so I'm in no hurry or rush to get it cleaned up in just a few hours.

:coffee:

7Acres
02-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Tumbler and pins arrived yesterday. I won't go on and on about the Lortone QT12 but... Thick... all... rubber... barrell! And aluminum inner/outer lids. I was impressed. I frantically case prepped 300 (~4lbs) of Rem .223 cases. De-primed and de-crimped the primer pockets. Ran an errand for the wife and picked up Lemishine, Dawn and NuFinish while I was in town. The wife had a women's seminar thing at church; so she left and it was just me and the boys. I brought all my tumbling stuff up to the house and got set up in the kitchen.

In short I ran the tumbler for 3hrs. The boys, including me, were in suspense the whole time. 8p was the opening ceremony. My oldest was disappointed to see that the glossy stones that were displayed on the back of the Lortone manual were not pouring out.

I was disappointed that the brass was not glossy per the goal of this whole endeavor. Upon inspection I realized I goofed in a few areas. I did not pre-wash the SS pins. And I forgot to add mineral spirits. I probably got my proportions of the rest of it wrong too as there were no soapy suds whatsoever. On a positive note the tumbler was even quieter than I expected.

So back to school. Here is what I did.

5lbs of SS pins
4lbs of brass
Added water to cover the brass

1 cap full of NuFinish
1/8th tsp of Lemishine
A couple timid squirts of Dawn Ultra 2x
3hrs of tumbling

Please advise me on what I got wrong.

Wife is leaving again today for Day 2 of the same women's seminar. :neutral: So I'll have all day to get nothing done but tumbling. :lol:

7Acres
02-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Here's the result I got. The smudge was from me smudging the oil left on the case to make it readily apparent for the photo.

Teddy (punchie)
02-04-2017, 11:14 AM
interesting Thanks !!

salpal48
02-04-2017, 11:37 AM
You can't Go wrong with a Lortone .

stranded1980
02-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Here's the result I got. The smudge was from me smudging the oil left on the case to make it readily apparent for the photo.

How much soap did you use?

7Acres
02-04-2017, 12:01 PM
How much soap did you use?

I'd say 1tsp. I didn't use a measuring spoon. But honestly, not much.

DerekP Houston
02-04-2017, 12:03 PM
I'd say 1tsp. I didn't use a measuring spoon. But honestly, not much.

More dawn definitely. If there aren't suds when you open the container after tumbling, you didn't use enough. It might have something to do with water hardness but mine were leaving a residue on the brass until I upped the soap content. Dawn is cheap! The more water and brass, the more soap you need.

also, shouldn't need 3 hours with SS pins, I set the timer on mine for an hour and haven't noticed any difference letting it run for longer. I'd toss that same batch back in for 30 minutes and I bet it'll rinse all the residual oil off.

Bayou52
02-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Tumbler and pins arrived yesterday. I won't go on and on about the Lortone QT12 but... Thick... all... rubber... barrell! And aluminum inner/outer lids. I was impressed. I frantically case prepped 300 (~4lbs) of Rem .223 cases. De-primed and de-crimped the primer pockets. Ran an errand for the wife and picked up Lemishine, Dawn and NuFinish while I was in town. The wife had a women's seminar thing at church; so she left and it was just me and the boys. I brought all my tumbling stuff up to the house and got set up in the kitchen.

In short I ran the tumbler for 3hrs. The boys, including me, were in suspense the whole time. 8p was the opening ceremony. My oldest was disappointed to see that the glossy stones that were displayed on the back of the Lortone manual were not pouring out.

I was disappointed that the brass was not glossy per the goal of this whole endeavor. Upon inspection I realized I goofed in a few areas. I did not pre-wash the SS pins. And I forgot to add mineral spirits. I probably got my proportions of the rest of it wrong too as there were no soapy suds whatsoever. On a positive note the tumbler was even quieter than I expected.

5lbs of SS pins
4lbs of brass

1 cap full of NuFinish
1/8th tsp of Lemishine
3hrs of tumbling

Wife is leaving again today for Day 2 of the same women's seminar. :neutral: So I'll have all day to get nothing done but tumbling. :lol:

7acres-

Suggest the following adjustments to your procedure for SS wet tumbling:

1. Suggest you not add NuFinish to your rotary wet tumbling drum. NuFinish is a car polish that those who use vibratory tumblers add to their dry media,

2. Suggest you use 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine per batch.

3. Dawn is an excellent cleaning agent, but I've long ago switched to auto wash and wax (1 ounce per batch, any brand). Both are great cleaning agents but the wash and wax impedes the return of tarnish over time. Brass tumbled in Dawn, although very bright at the outset, tends to re-tarnish quicker.

Bayou52

7Acres
02-04-2017, 12:45 PM
I've been tumbling/checking three times now. Last round I added about a quarter cup of Dawn and more water too. Just checked zero bubbles. I think the NuFinish is the problem. I'm going to dump everything out; rinse and try again with no NuFinish. I have no Wash and Wax and the wife has the van. So I'm stuck. Let's see if deleting the NuFinish helps on this next round. I'll park the NuFinish next to the dry tumbler for future experimentation.

So Bayou, you don't use Dawn? You substitute Wash and Wax instead?

7acres-

Suggest the following adjustments to your procedure for SS wet tumbling:

1. Suggest you not add NuFinish to your rotary wet tumbling drum. NuFinish is a car polish that those who use vibratory tumblers add to their dry media,

2. Suggest you use 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine per batch.

3. Dawn is an excellent cleaning agent, but I've long ago switched to auto wash and wax (1 ounce per batch, any brand). Both are great cleaning agents but the wash and wax impedes the return of tarnish over time. Brass tumbled in Dawn, although very bright at the outset, tends to re-tarnish quicker.

Bayou52

sparky45
02-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Seems everyone has their own formula for tumbling solutions. I use (after trial/error) Lemishine (1tsp); ArmorAll wash and wax soap (any auto wash and wax will work) 1 Tbsp added to enough HOT water to cover everything and tumble for a couple of hours. Bright, shiny brass with a noticeable waxy feel which stores and keeps the shine for a longer time. That's all based on roughly 5#'s of brass with 5#'s of pins.

5lbs of SS pins
4lbs of brass

1 cap full of NuFinish
1/8th tsp of Lemishine
3hrs of tumbling

Bayou52
02-04-2017, 01:17 PM
7acres -

Dawn is an excellent cleaning agent, but auto wash and wax is just as good a cleaner. Plus, the wash and wax leaves a microscopic coating on the brass that cannot be felt or seen but which inhibits re-tarnishing of the brass over time. I've got brass tumbled several years ago in wash and wax that are still shiny. So, yes, I use wash and wax instead of Dawn.

Suggest you rinse your drum and pins very well to assure all of the NuFinish is removed. You may even want to tumble just your pins in detergent to assure they are clean of the NuFinish.

Your tumble time will vary depending on how shiny you personally want your brass. I like the "jewelry" look but that's me personally. Also, pre-soaking will reduce your tumble time. For me, an overnight soak in detergent cuts tumble time in half. You will experiment as you go along.

Here's a couple of pics of recently tumbled cases using the recipe I described to you:

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20151210_112830_zpssx5feplu.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20151210_112830_zpssx5feplu.jpg.html)

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20150611_111556_zpsvmsnexwm.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20150611_111556_zpsvmsnexwm.jpg.html)

Bayou52

7Acres
02-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Just did 15 minutes with just 1/4tsp of Lemishine and Dawn and water. Nothing else.

Opened it up and it looks crazy greasy and again no soap suds. I am starting to feel like I really screwed something up here. I dumped out the gray water, rinsed and dumped again. Filled it back up with fresh water, Dawn and 1/4tsp of Lemishine. Tumbler running again now.

This is getting embarrassing.

Just checked it again before submitting the post. Soap Suds! Maybe we've turned a corner. I'll let it run for an hour.

Bayou52
02-04-2017, 01:49 PM
^^^^^^Super. Very important to get all of the NuFinish washed/rinsed out. I think that will help you.

Let us know.

My own tumbler is getting a good work-out today, too!

Bayou52

7Acres
02-04-2017, 01:56 PM
7acres -

Dawn is an excellent cleaning agent, but auto wash and wax is just as good a cleaner. Plus, the wash and wax leaves a microscopic coating on the brass that cannot be felt or seen but which inhibits re-tarnishing of the brass over time. I've got brass tumbled several years ago in wash and wax that are still shiny. So, yes, I use wash and wax instead of Dawn.

Suggest you rinse your drum and pins very well to assure all of the NuFinish is removed. You may even want to tumble just your pins in detergent to assure they are clean of the NuFinish.

Your tumble time will vary depending on how shiny you personally want your brass. I like the "jewelry" look but that's me personally. Also, pre-soaking will reduce your tumble time. For me, an overnight soak in detergent cuts tumble time in half. You will experiment as you go along.

Here's a couple of pics of recently tumbled cases using the recipe I described to you:

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20151210_112830_zpssx5feplu.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20151210_112830_zpssx5feplu.jpg.html)

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20150611_111556_zpsvmsnexwm.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20150611_111556_zpsvmsnexwm.jpg.html)

Bayou52

Yes jewelery quality is the goal! That is some beautiful brass there.

Just did a rinse. Man, a serious amount of black liquid poured out. Did several rinses to get as much out as possible. Running again now with Lemishine and Dawn only.

7Acres
02-04-2017, 03:46 PM
I've wash/rinse/repeat about four times now. I'm going to keep doing this till the water is clean after an hour of tumbling.

But the brass is getting real pretty now.

In case anyone was wondering... Don't use NuFinish in a wet tumbler. Haha!

DerekP Houston
02-04-2017, 03:52 PM
I've wash/rinse/repeat about four times now. I'm going to keep doing this till the water is clean after an hour of tumbling.

I was wondering about that :D. Substituting car wash works great I just ran out of mine and didn't feel like buying more. I pulled out a few bags of brass that have been stored in my closet, they are tarnished slightly but not enough to bug me.

Bayou52
02-04-2017, 04:40 PM

You're making progress! Keep us posted on your results....

Bayou52

7Acres
02-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Okay, I finally got a clean run. I probably did 7 rounds, one every hour, before getting them as clean as new. Here's a before & after:

7Acres
02-04-2017, 07:42 PM
I was so happy it finally all cleaned up in there!

So now I have a few questions.
To get the pins out of each case I handled each one and dumped its pins back into the drum. I was glad to see the pins slid right out. But the whole time I was thinking there has to be a better way. Is there?

Others above said they add mineral spirits. That just doesn't seem to make sense. Is that a dry tumbler suggestion too like with the NuFinish?

sparky45
02-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Yep; dry tumbling and Mineral Spirits.

Bayou52
02-04-2017, 08:43 PM

To get the pins out of each case I handled each one and dumped its pins back into the drum. I was glad to see the pins slid right out. But the whole time I was thinking there has to be a better way. Is there?

Others above said they add mineral spirits. That just doesn't seem to make sense. Is that a dry tumbler suggestion too like with the NuFinish?

Yes, mineral spirits is added to dry tumbling media. It has no place in the wet tumbling process.

To separate pins from cases quickly, I use a rotary media separator like this one :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176956/rcbs-rotary-case-and-media-separator

I couldn't imagine life without one. I also use it to quickly dry the brass.

Your last batch came out very nicely! Congrats -

Bayou52

Drew P
02-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Others above said they add mineral spirits. That just doesn't seem to make sense. Is that a dry tumbler suggestion too like with the NuFinish?what size pins are you using?

Drew P
02-05-2017, 11:43 AM
7acres -

Bayou52thats great if you're happy with that level of shine.... but could you get them even more shiny? ;)

7Acres
02-05-2017, 12:17 PM
what size pins are you using?

.047" diameter .255" length. 5lbs of pins.

7Acres
02-05-2017, 12:22 PM
thats great if you're happy with that level of shine.... but could you get them even more shiny? ;)

I'll take the bait. I've got brand new brass. Bayou52's is just as shiny. And his won't tarnish like my new brass has.

How do you get shinier than that?

Bayou52
02-05-2017, 01:35 PM
thats great if you're happy with that level of shine.... but could you get them even more shiny? ;)

Hi, Drew -

With the level of shine and polish that I'm achieving with wet tumbling, I feel we have approached the limits of what can be obtained with our tumbling process. In short, I don't think brass can get much shinier and still be brass.

Please don't misinterpret, as I'm certainly not "bragging" here but merely stating the facts as I see them. I'm trying to help others, like 7acres, achieve shiny brass.

Here's another snap of some recently tumbled 30-06 brass:

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20160401_141930_zpsbhbdu1fp.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20160401_141930_zpsbhbdu1fp.jpg.html)

Happy Tumbling-

Bayou52

7Acres
02-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Yes, mineral spirits is added to dry tumbling media. It has no place in the wet tumbling process.

To separate pins from cases quickly, I use a rotary media separator like this one :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176956/rcbs-rotary-case-and-media-separator

I couldn't imagine life without one. I also use it to quickly dry the brass.

Your last batch came out very nicely! Congrats -

Bayou52

Thanks, Bayou52! I've got one of those I used to remove the corncob media from cases out of the vibratory tumbler. There were always a few crumbs left in a good portion of the cases after separating. Does the separator do a more thorough job with the SS pins?

Phlier
02-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Bayou52! I've got one of those I used to remove the corncob media from cases out of the vibratory tumbler. There were always a few crumbs left in a good portion of the cases after separating. Does the separator do a more thorough job with the SS pins?

I use the Frankford Arsenal Media Separator. They sell two different versions, one meant for wet tumbling, one for dry. Their wet media separator is top notch. It removes the SS pins very quickly, while giving your brass a bit of a finishing rinse in the process. I also use the FA brass drier, and couldn't be happier.

The media separator I use: https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Media-Separator/dp/B01B6S8JUC/ref=pd_sim_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZPKRN5FF09DW9XXNA3KT
The drier: https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Brass-Dryer/dp/B00RPABBG0/ref=pd_sim_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6DGD2QGQWJ8NQG2AWN51

And a post I put in another thread that will hopefully help guys that are chasing down the correct amount of Lemishine (citric acid) to use:

The amount of citric acid (LemiShine) needed to produce highly polished brass varies according to how hard your water is. If you're unable to get the same results as the guys that are posting their recipes, try varying the amount of citric acid.

Where I'm at, the water is hard... dang near crunchy. In my Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler, I have to use two heaping tablespoons to get perfect results. So if your brass is still looking a bit grungy, try increasing (by small amounts) the citric acid. You'll know you've gone too far if the brass comes out with a pink tinge to it. The pink tinge won't hurt anything, it's just an indicator of too much citric acid. If you hit the pink, decrease (in small amounts) until the pink goes away. You've hit the garden spot at this point... you'll get maximum shine and good passivation.

Buying bulk citric acid off of amazon is much less expensive than buying Lemi Shine.

For Dillon press users:

Brass cleaned by wet tumbling gets *so* clean that it isn't uncommon for it to become stuck to your powder through expander neck. If you use one of the all-in-one car wash/wax products mentioned by the guys in this thread, it will leave just enough lubrication behind that you won't have brass sticking in your press anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5rSj9a1l78

Typical results:

Bayou52
02-05-2017, 02:52 PM

Hi, 7acres -

Yes, the rotary media separator works great to separate pins from brass. Please note that it works so well because it is filled with water, and the squirrel cage, when filled with brass, is rotated in water. The water breaks the surface tension between pins and brass. So, all pins sink to the bottom of the separator, and the water gets poured off. Then, the pins go back into the tumbler for the next tumble.

Works great - no pins left in any cases.

Bayou52

7Acres
02-05-2017, 03:41 PM
I'll have to give it a try then.

Here's what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VNK1UA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486321866&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=frankford+arsenal+media+separator&dpPl=1&dpID=41lQ7TAQESL&ref=plSrch

It looks to be a similar concept to the one Phlier says works for him. Just fill the bucket up with water and crank it for a couple minutes?

7Acres
02-05-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm thinking of taking a chance on Meguire's Ultimate wash and wax.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17748-Ultimate-Wash-Wax/dp/B00353PWAW

The reviews on YouTube are good and the stuff is supposed to smell real good. :lol: Anything to cover up the lingering NuFinish smell!

7Acres
02-05-2017, 07:29 PM
I scrolled through the reviews and happened upon this one, "I use it to clean my brass cases in a tumbler with stainless steel pins. A quarter cup of Ultimate Wash and Wax, 1/8 teaspoon of citric acid (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5L9P30/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1), and a gallon of hot water. Four hours later, the brass is as clean as can be - including primer pockets - and the Ultimate Wash and Wax leaves a protective coating which inhibits corrosion."

On order! Arrives Tuesday. I'll re-tumble my initial batch above and then proceed to tumble all my other brass I've got in the queue. Fun!

Bayou52
02-05-2017, 07:36 PM
I'll have to give it a try then.

Here's what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VNK1UA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486321866&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=frankford+arsenal+media+separator&dpPl=1&dpID=41lQ7TAQESL&ref=plSrch

It looks to be a similar concept to the one Phlier says works for him. Just fill the bucket up with water and crank it for a couple minutes?

Yes, that will work. Just give it 25-30 cranks or so. Just make sure the squirrel cage is in the water. Pins will separate nicely.

Bayou52

Bayou52
02-05-2017, 07:42 PM
As far as auto wash and wax products used for wet tumbling, I've pretty much used all of them:

Maquire's
Blue Coral
Armor-All
Rain-X
Turtle Zip

In my experience, they are all about the same in wet tumbling results.

The only one with a negative was Rain-X since it simply did not suds up good enough for me.

Hope this helps.

Bayou52

7Acres
02-07-2017, 05:12 PM
I just started a batch with 1/4tsp LemiShine and 1oz of wash and wax. I'll open it up in 2 hrs. This time it is primed 45ACP brass. Some of them are almost entirely black. Will be interesting to see how those clean up.

Yesterday, I added the NuFinish and mineral spirits to my dry tumbler and let it run for probably 6 hours. It did get the brass very acceptably shiny. Not perfect however. Some cases still had evidence of tarnish. But I'm glad I've got my quiet Lortone wet tumbler. I'll be able to compare 6hr dry vibratory tumbler results with 2hr wet drum tumbler results.

7Acres
02-07-2017, 07:46 PM
2 hrs in the wet tumbler provides superior results. Just like factory new! There was one case in there that was a non-nickel case and nickel primer. The whole case including primer was darker and pinkish. It's right in the middle of the pic.

I dried half the batch with a heat gun. I'm curious to see if the non-heated ones will have water spots.

7Acres
02-07-2017, 07:48 PM
About that dark pinkish one... I found other cases in the batch that had the same headstamp. Perfect condition. I'll add the dark one to subsequent runs to see if it improves.

1hole
02-07-2017, 08:36 PM
After a long time reloading (50+ years) and buying the first vib tumbler (Lyman) on the market and using several others since and buying an ultrasonic when they were the new bright toy and using an eager young friend's wet cleaner I would advise my grandsons to get a vib tumbler and cob media and be done with it.

First thing you will notice with brass that glitters like polished gold is that it won't shoot or last a bit better. What you will notice about spotless cases, outside and in, with wet pins is as soon as you pull the trigger it immediately returns to where you started and it performs no better than the far less messy, costly and time consuming dry tumblers.

All vib tumblers work the same, I know of no meaningful design or quality differences between them. So - IMHO - your Midway tumbler is fine, anything more than what it can do for reloaders is meaningless eyewash - trivia. I'm confident the vib tumblers made by Lyman and Berry's are the "best" because they both use superior ball bearing motors and have 1/4" shafts (the rest use 1/8") but Berry's is by far the best deal on price; Cabalas house brand is made by Berry.

But ... if you're determined that you absolutly must have the prettiest reloads, inside and out, on the firing line get yourself a wet tumbler to clean and then finish them to an eye burning glitter with your Midway using cob and brass polish

Bayou52
02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Congrats, 7acres -

Those cases look great. You've really made significant progress. Not sure about that one case in the middle with the discoloration. Are you sure it's brass and not steel?

A couple of comments:

1. I use a Lee Universal Decapping die to decap before tumbling so that the primer pockets also get tumbled clean.

2. As far as drying, I use the squirrel cage of the media separator. Once the pins are separated and the water drained off, with the wet cases still in the squirrel cage, throw in a dry towel and agitate briskly back and forth for about 30 seconds. The towel will absorb the moisture thrown out by the cases. Repeat with a second dry towel.

The cases will only have a slight amount of moisture left in the primer pockets. Just let the cases stay exposed to open air in a tray for 15-20 minutes, and those will be dry, too. No heaters, dryers, ovens, etc. are needed. Sure works for me, anyway.

Bayou52

7Acres
02-08-2017, 11:19 AM
I don't disagree with anything you've said. I've got some clean but not very pretty brass already reloaded and don't turn my nose up at it one bit. I found though that I was always disappointed my dry tumbler wasn't getting everything back to factory new clean as I've seen people get on this forum. I also didn't like the fact that the batches took so long. And the fact that it was annoyingly loud in my shop. All personal pet peeves.

The results I get in 2 hours with the wet tumbler are well worth it for me. But having said that... I already have a dry vibratory tumbler so I am very tempted to take the additional step you mentioned.

But ... if you're determined that you absolutly must have the prettiest reloads, inside and out, on the firing line get yourself a wet tumbler to clean and then finish them to an eye burning glitter with your Midway using cob and brass polish

If I don't watch it I'll be reloading and shooting with cotton gloves so I don't get fingerprints on each case as I handle it :groner:

7Acres
02-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Congrats, 7acres -

Those cases look great. You've really made significant progress. Not sure about that one case in the middle with the discoloration. Are you sure it's brass and not steel?

A couple of comments:

1. I use a Lee Universal Decapping die to decap before tumbling so that the primer pockets also get tumbled clean.

2. As far as drying, I use the squirrel cage of the media separator. Once the pins are separated and the water drained off, with the wet cases still in the squirrel cage, throw in a dry towel and agitate briskly back and forth for about 30 seconds. The towel will absorb the moisture thrown out by the cases. Repeat with a second dry towel.

The cases will only have a slight amount of moisture left in the primer pockets. Just let the cases stay exposed to open air in a tray for 15-20 minutes, and those will be dry, too. No heaters, dryers, ovens, etc. are needed. Sure works for me, anyway.

Bayou52

I like your towel idea. I've done a few batches now and those pink cases are cleaning up and looking more like brass now. A strong magnet demonstrated they are not steel. But I also read about zinc leaching. If these cases sat in the dirt for a few years that may be what's going on. The pinkish ones are now clean enough that I can see etching in the brass' surface. I'd have to think these 3 cases are no good for reloading now.

1hole
02-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Dark stains are harmless oxidation on the surface, it will turn pink from the acid in your mix (the Lemishine) but the color polishes off easily, don't worry about it.

Green crud on the other hand is brass corrosion that eats into and weakens the metal, toss it.

Most stainless steels are anti-magnetic.

Big Dog
02-15-2017, 01:59 AM
I finally got everything together and assembled for my home made wet tumbler, it is not pretty like a commercially made unit you can buy

I have about $100.00 laid out, many things I had on hand like the outlet, the 2 outlet boxes, 2x4, deck screws, robbed the 115 VAC computer case cooling fan from my garden start setup, my buddy gave me A/C duct putty buckets

wet tumbler test, dry test w/ only about 1-1/2 pounds of SS pins to see turnover

https://youtu.be/K2r-iARlf_c

wet tumbler 1st run, its running, you can see the timer controlled outlet that switches the cooling fan & power supply for the wiper motor

https://youtu.be/osJtcATcIwg

the wiper motor shaft is 8mmx1.25, I drilled a hole in the bottom center of the first bucket and a fender washer & 8mmx1.25 bolt is thru and a thread rod connecting nut keeps them together

the angle is just enough to keep the second bucket seated, both buckets are 1 gallon

the fins were 3/4" pvc square tube before I split them corner to corner to make simple angle

the whole thing is sitting in a pan in case of spills,

I used a standard 12 VDC 6A power Supply for a computer display to power the wiper motor, the wiper motor will fit my car (in case it did not perform)

wiper motor

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3727_zpsutunf3yx.jpeg

agitator bars

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3690_zpsksifwshf.jpeg

splitting the bars

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3706_zpsvup0dxkf.jpeg

cooling fan (I deleted the #10 can for a duct, it was not needed)

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3787_zpshazqjuza.jpeg

bucket inside, I removed each agitator bar after this pic, gave it a bead of silicone based caulk between the bar & the bucket wall, cut the screws short and re-installed each one

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3807_zpsc68n90dl.jpeg

1st batch run for 1 hour

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3918_zpsys1vyfyk.jpeg

clean primer pockets

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3919_zpswotrtw6v.jpeg

clean inside

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3920_zpsagfztduv.jpeg

Dillon CM-500 media separator, carefully dump as much dirty water out of the bucket & run fresh water to flush as much dirt as you can, then dump the bucket into the separator cage , fill the tub of the Dillon at least 3/4 full of water then begin slow turning the cage while it is in the water, if you do not surface tension will prevent the pins from dropping free

this unit is much more robust than any other on the market, this is how I get all the SS pins sorted from the cleaned brass

https://youtu.be/as6N78S_T_g

for getting the cases dry I do the “polish a bowling ball” thing w/ a old bath towel, then 5 minutes w/ a heat gun or hair dryer to get the cases hot enough to dry w/o spotting

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/BigDogWalkin/IMG_3931_zpsbqd7ecab.jpeg

annealing is the next step for my blackout conversion brass, there is a thread here on my case annealer build if you search

annealing provides less springback when forming the shoulder and case mouth tension is more uniform, you really need that when loading the Barnes 110 grain TAC-TX

bobthenailer
02-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Just a thought I use warm to hot water with JOY and lemishine and discard water after each barrel of brass tumbled , the water is usually gray or black , also I usually only tumble 1.0 to 1.5 hours max to get a like new shine . I spread brass out on a bath towel to remove water from the outside of the cases, I use a hair dryer or old toaster oven to dry brass set @ 150 degrees.

For the protective coating to prevent tarnish I use my vibratory tumbler with liquid Nu Finish and corn cob media , and let it run for about 1/2 hr.

w5pv
02-23-2017, 11:55 AM
So it's been a while since I joined this site and binge-read every post on a daily/hourly basis. I've picked up some opinions on what a good setup would be. But it has been a couple years and there might be a new definition of what the top of the line brass tumbling setup is today. This is just for me, not production brass cleaning or anything. I've been using a Franklin vibratory tumbler and it's okay. But I want the super clean brass you guys on here can get with the wet tumblers w/ SS pins. (I saw recently that somebody sells a tumbler with SS chips. Chips perform better?) If you were in my shoes and were going to buy the tumbler that you will be proud to own and run what setup would you put together?
wash your brass in citric acid first and then dump in the tumbler.They will be shiney and clean

nvreloader
02-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Guys

FWIW,
I have found that when I changed to 10#'s of pins,
the less thumbing time is needed, to clean the brass,
as you have twice the amount of pins working for you,
for the same amount of brass, in the same time period.

I fill my Model "B" to within 1/2" of the rim with brass and H2o,
and let it run for about an hour, same results as shown in the above photo's.

Tia,
Don

Bayou52
02-23-2017, 01:32 PM
^^^^Interesting, nv.

I also cut my wet tumbling time significantly, by as much as half, by pre-soaking the cases in detergent water before putting them in the Thumlers. Typically, I decap on one day and tumble the next day. There's no lost time by a soak overnight.

Bayou52