PDA

View Full Version : Different lengths, Different Weights

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 10:33 AM
I have been reading threads and instructions for a few weeks now, and I'm still stuck on how different jacket lengths and bullet weights are made. And of course which punches and dies are being used to make them. I'm just not seeing this, could you guys help me out here?

clodhopper
01-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Longer jackets hold more lead.
The amount of lead in each jacket can be adjusted, more lead shows in front with heavier bullets of the same jacket length.
It is possible to close the point with air inside.

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 11:27 AM
I thought different weights, say 110 - 220 grain used different punches or something.

Zbench
01-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Blackout, you really need to head to Corbin's site and read the FREE book he has published that answers all your questions and more. It's informative and insightful, and whomever's dies you purchase, it's applicable. The direct link to the html version is: http://www.swage.com/ebooks/hb9-text.htm

Punches have nothing to do with the weight of a bullet, other than their relative depth in the jacket when seating the core. One punch, assuming that the core has constant thickness walls (most aren't) will work for any bullet weight. It's the diameter of the punch that sometimes forces a different punch, and that is because there needs to be a good seal between punch and jacket to prevent the lead from squirting past the punch and not achieving the pressure required to properly seat the core and expand the jacket to the die walls.

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 11:44 AM
THanks for the link, I've been all over Corbins site and hadn't seen that one.

What is an adjustable punch?

Zbench
01-26-2017, 12:41 PM
If you read the book above, all will be revealed. :D

rbt50
01-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Richard corbin has been writing a book about swaging. go to his wed page and you can print it out if you want. adj punch is for different length jackets.

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 05:01 PM
If you read the book above, all will be revealed. :D

I'm reading it right now.

GerryM
01-26-2017, 05:42 PM
It depends on what brands of jackets your using Ie sierra have a pretty good taper on the inside so do other brands
Now the punch diameter depends on just where your seating the core . The core must be seated without any bleed back on the wall,s pf the jacket.
The punch must also be the correct size as not to scrape the walls of the jackets,

DukeInFlorida
01-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Also, you would be well served to also call and speak with our own Brian Thurner (BT Sniper). He also has a lot of knowledge, and makes the tools for swaging. I've learned a LOT from him.
Brian's details are here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?183513-Available-products-and-current-prices

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 07:19 PM
I was thinking about using tubing jackets.

mckenziedrums
01-27-2017, 10:46 AM
So... here's the thing. This hobby isn't one where you're going to just be able to look up a recipe and get exactly the same results. (Maybe one exception is using cartridge brass for jackets...) I looked all over trying to figure out what length of jacket, how much lead, etc etc and then realized that the only way to really know is to experiment. Write down your results and keep track of what you did and you'll be able to reproduce it. No one is going to say "cut the core to .78325" and place it in a 1.05" jacket to get a 95gr bullet" or anything like that. There are some threads that cover basics around weight of a lead cylinder and you'll have to take that and work from there.

The maximum/minimum weight you can make with a set of dies will depend on a few factors. Most obvious is the length of core and jacket. The lightest weight bullet must still have enough bearing surface to shoot well. On the heavy side it's pretty much sky's the limit as long as you've got the stroke length. One thing you'll find out quick is that having a variety of punch diameters is key. Most jackets are tapered somewhat so you may need to use different diameters of punches when seating the core. Too skinny of punch and the lead squeezes by it. Too thick of punch and you damage the jacket walls and likely snap the jacket.

I still think tubing jackets are NOT the way to go with 30 cal but you're hell bent on them for some reason. :)

BlackoutBuilder
01-27-2017, 11:13 AM
I only want to stick with tubing, because the strip to jacket tools are $3500 and I dont want to have to buy ready made jackets frrom anyone. I want to make the whole thing. :)

My price list at Corbin is about $4,000 with the H dies and presses, it will take at least a year and a half before I can even make my first bullet as it is. If I go with copper strip, I'm looking at 2019 before I make my first bullet. I am very patient, but come-on now ! hahaha.

I finally got a response from Larry Blackmon this morning, but even with his tols, I'm in it for $1800 and thats still from tubing.

It would cost about 1800 to go with 9mm or 5.7 jackets as well.

Dave Corbin has answered every question I've asked him, about half a dozen, and I havent even given him any money yet. Thats really impressive.