PDA

View Full Version : .32's and .22 results

Newtire
06-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Went up to the range today to test fire some various loads.

First up was my Hi-Standard Sport King with Simmons Red Dot I got from lastmanout. I gotta tell you, it's a real nice little sight. I got as good as inside an inch at 25 yds. for 10 shots. Thanks l.m.o. ! I used a couple of barrel clamp type mounts to set it up.

Next, I shot off a few in .32 magnum out of the Ruger Blackhawk. I was using the Lee 90 gr. SWC and 3.5 gr. "Clays" (just plain old "Clays"). They shot OK but then I tried a batch of loads with 3.9 gr. Clays and all else the same & got real sticky extraction. I can only attribute this to the fact that alot of the boolit is inside the case due to the long slender nose. This is about the max to go anyhow if you are using that boolit and seating it leaving 2-grooves outside the case.

I switched cylinders and tried out the 32-20 loads I had brought along.

These loads are for 32-20 ONLY

1=6.0 gr. HS-6 and the RCBS 32-98
2=6.0 gr. HS-6 and the Wilbird .314 120 gr. Group buy.

both of these were great loads at 25 yds. and even managed to make several 3" groups at 50 yds.

9.3X62AL
06-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a pretty good day's work, Newtire!

For going-on-20 years now, I've used SR-4756 as the "go-to" fuel in 32-20 revolver rounds. Source of this info was Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" column in "Handloader" c. 1980 or thereabouts. In Police Positive Special-strength revos, 5.5 grains under a 115 grain boolit was top-end, 6.0 grains is end of the road with an Army Special, SAA, or M&P. Both are pretty brisk loadings in their respective platform sizes, and the lighter load gets a lot more use here. It runs ~900 FPS from the 5" M&P, and goes right to the sights at 25 yards with #311316.

Your Blackhawk has strength to spare in either caliber. In 32 Magnum, were you using Starline cases? Big Slick has done some pretty intrepid load work in 32 Magnum using a SP-101 x 4", getting 1400 FPS+ with 100 grain boolits and no sticky extraction. My own experience with one boolit in 32 Magnum (Lyman #313631, SWC/GC 100 grain) is that the faster you drive it--the better it groups. It isn't very good in mid-range applications, but the gas check more than suggests that it should be restricted to faster work. The RCBS 98 SWC remains my favorite in 32 Long and 32 Magnum.

Newtire
06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey Al,

I figure the reason for the sticky extraction was the fast burning Clays and that little Lee boolit with ist's church steeple spire that needs to be seated with more of the body into the case than say the RCBS 32-98.

So, I plan on sneaking up on it again with the RCBS boolit & see how it goes with Clays.

I have been loading mostly the .32-20 and it's not been but recently that I discovered the .32 magnum will shoot even though it's a bit more of a jump to the rifling.

I started to use the "44 Man" technique he mentioned about not thinking about when the gun goes off and the groups are shrinking a bit. I just have to get someone to maybe do the trigger on it but having fun with it just the way it is.

It's a pretty big revolver for just a .32 cal so maybe will run into something a little more manageable as for size and weight and get one of those. Ya never know what you will run into. I have the little H & R 586 in .32 mag. but I am keeping the loads light in that thing. The cylinder is alot shorter on that thing so it is not possible to fit a hotter Ruger load in it if I seat them out towards the front of the cylinder. I am real real careful!

So, will have to see if Big Slick will cough up a few loads eh? I am using Starline brass by the way and CCI 550 mag. primers. Maybe the magnum primers are not necessary on the faster burning powders?

Boy, I'm going on & on so gonna wrap this up. Those .32's sure are fun.

9.3X62AL
06-29-2008, 01:20 AM
No sweat, Newtire--I get lyrical about 32 revolvers on here, and so do a lot of other folks.

One of those Buckeye Sports 32 convertibles would be nice, but my S&W Model 16-4 x 6" is all I really need for the 32 Mag caliber. I have two 32-20 revos, and would consider a SP-101 in 327 Federal if they came out with 4" barrels. Adjustable sights would be nice, too--but that is gunsmith-obtainable without much fuss and bother.

Bret4207
06-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Newtire- You ever want to get rid of the Buckeye, let me know!

Newtire
06-30-2008, 08:34 AM
OK Bret,

I just lucked into it thru a tip from our man Scrounger awhile back. It is not likely that I'll be getting rid of it, sorry.

I have a friend who has one of those Smith & Wesson (used to be called a Ladysmith he says) models. He won't part with it though!

I'll let you know if I see anything.

NuJudge
07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
My first wife gave me a .32 mag/.32-20 Buckeye Ruger. It shoots just about any load well.

CDD