PDA

View Full Version : Best wad for Remington hulls and 7/8 ounce slug

rromano158
01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
I have a question/problem about loading the Remington Nitro, STS, and Gun Club hulls with the Lee 7/8 ounce slug. I am using the load data directly from the Hodgdon website:
Remington Nitro 27, STS, Gold Club hulls
Hodgdon HS-6 powder
Win 209 primer
It says to use the WAA12L wad, (which seems to be out of stock at BP)
I have tried the Downrange wad DRXXL Pink which says it replaces the OEM WIN. WAA12L, and CB0178-12.

My problem is every time I try to seat the wad and slug it bulges the hull where the slug meets the base of the top of the wad. Then it will not chamber the shell in the shotgun because of that bulge. I see that the DRXXL Pink wads have one rib in each petal, which likely causes it to bulge. I have cut the petals off and wrapped a piece of mylar around the slug.

My question is... Is there another wad with MUCH thinner petals (without the interior ribs) that someone could suggest that I try that will be compatible with these specific hulls?

Hogtamer
01-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Those wads are too long as you have discovered. The regular waa12 wads work with a 20 ga 1/8" hard card in bottom of wad. Start with no more than 34 gr HS-6.

rromano158
01-26-2017, 03:00 PM
It's not that they are too long. When I inspected the DRXXL Pink wads closely I found that each petal has one vertical rib inside. I just received a PDF file from Downrange customer service showing load data using the Lee 7/8 ounce slug and an L078 wad, which I am guessing means the Claybuster Lightning 078 wad.

copdills
01-27-2017, 12:26 PM
i use WA112 win and claybuster T-12 the T-12 has thinner petals than the other claybuster wads I have tried

runfiverun
01-27-2017, 01:30 PM
it's the CB4100-12B
also called the lightning.
it's the windjammer 7/8-1oz wad with 6 thin petals.
I use it in the straight walled cases like the Rio and the estates with the plastic bases.
[1-1/6oz of shot]

another one that might give you a little more latitude is the
claybuster federal knock off 12-C1 it has 4 petals.
they are a tick thicker than the lightnings 6 petals but the shot column is a touch bigger/longer which could give you room to use a card under the slug.
it would also protect the slug a touch more in the barrel.
I use it for the same loads only in the cases like the estates and the federals with the paper base wads. [1-1/16 oz shot]

it all comes down to fitment like everything else.
in the cases you have.
the regular 1 to 1-1/8 oz windjammer [blue] and a 20ga under card could be the better length fit depending on the powder volume.