PDA

View Full Version : Predator calling

richhodg66
01-25-2017, 08:55 PM
I'd kind of like to kill some coyotes to thin them out some. Haven't seen many on the property, but have seen the tracks and here them close by at night. I have about 18 acres, mostly heavy woods and rolling, ought to b easy to set up an ambush site.

I want to try an electronic call I can use a remote with. Any recommendations? I was looking at this one; http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/icotec-gc300-electronic-predator-call?a=1549621

I've hard tying a turkey feather or similar with thread so it moves easily in a breeze helps seal the deal on an incoming coyote, will that work or should I get one of these decoys that moves?

I'll probably use a shotgun and have some appropriate shells around. I just have a feeling based on the place that shots will be close and maybe fast.

How important is getting fully camouflaged? With deer it isn't critical at all, but I'm guessing predators see better.

OS OK
01-25-2017, 09:08 PM
I've been very successful using a 'dying rabbit' call when bow hunting varmits, blow it just like a Duck call, used it for calling Bobcats and it will surprise you how fast they'll come a snooping. They come in so stealthy that you have to keep a sharp eye...all of the sudden they are just there and looking right at you!

I'll bet you a nickel to a donut hole that it'll work on the coyotes too. These are cheap mouth calls, might be worth trying before you get invested in expensive electronic equipment.

Camo yourself well and even use a portable blind...height off the ground helps too, it'll give you a much better field of view and fire.

35remington
01-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Since you call when you are sitting down, a cameo parka is sufficient as your upper body is what the coyote sees. Here in Nebraska a winter cameo top with streaks of brown in it is ideal. I never call without my cross sticks for my rifle. With a shotgun they are probably not needed.

I prefer Sceery mouth calls myself. My most successful calls are not rabbit calls as I think coyotes probably hear that one so often they simply do not respond as much to them around here. My best and most productive calls sound like another coyote.

richhodg66
01-25-2017, 09:14 PM
The advantage to the electronic call I figured is it would attract their attention somewhere other than me. Same for the decoy.

A mouth call might be a good start, though. Is Sceery a brand name?

Plate plinker
01-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Camo up. Coyotes are very smart. I only killed one while sitting and it was from an elevated stand at night. She had know idea we were up there. My guess is they are wired to look at ground level when being defensive. If I was doing it at my home I would gut a chicken and leave some bait or a rabbit.

OS OK
01-25-2017, 09:34 PM
35 Rem...has a good point there if they are over used and coyotes are wise to them...but...the thing about the rabbit call is this...'a dying rabbit' is a loud shrill scream..."I'm dying....help....oh, I'm so hurt, I'm dying!" <English translation) When that call goes out every predator within earshot knows that dinner is served for the first guy that gets there!

It's worth a try...

35remington
01-25-2017, 09:36 PM
It is a brand name. I prefer their single reed, split mouthpiece model. You "bite" it between the teeth and blow, and the amount of bite and how far you bite it from the end changes the pitch from a high tweet to a buzzing rasp. Outproduces my other calls about 3:1.

It is called the Variable Predator.

Tuck it in your coat near your skin immediately after blowing into it so it does not freeze up. Wait a while before calling again but not more than a minute or two. Three series is enough to bring one in.....or not. If nothing for 10-15 minutes move to another stand.

OS OK
01-25-2017, 09:49 PM
"You better hope that there aren't any 'Bigfeet' in the neighborhood looking for a little snack!" . . . :bigsmyl2:

35remington
01-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Don't get me wrong......the usual dying rabbit call is always with me. With skill you can sound piteous enough, and with additional skill you can pitch the call so it doesn't sound so "same 'ol same 'ol"....but it takes some miles and practice to accomplish this. Late Jan-Feb they are looking to mate and they respond to mating and a possible crack at another sexy coyote sometimes more readily than to an easy meal.

Sex or dinner are powerful incentives, and if they don't want one they might take you up on the other.

35remington
01-25-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm not worried about Bigfoot as this year my calling rifle is a Marlin bolt action .308. Shoots the 110 Vmax at 3250 fps very well and the bullet does not ricochet off frozen ground. Does well accuracywise in 30-06 to boot, over 3031 or 4064. In 308 I favor IMR 4895.

The coyotes here in eastern Nebraska have poor color and are not worth much save as self preserved pelts for bragging purposes. Generally after the shot I look up over the scope and nothing is moving. I like that.

The 110 Vmax has much greater accuracy potential than the 110 spire point which I used to use years ago.

shoot-n-lead
01-25-2017, 10:04 PM
I have predator hunted a lot...if you are hunting coyotes, watch your scent...Mr Coyote is about the toughest thing there is to call, in dense cover.

Also, when you see him, better be getting that gun on him as you will have about 3 seconds to shoot...they don't stand and look around like other predators will.

nagantguy
01-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Camo is a definite, pretend you are hunting something that can hunt you, cause they can. I've had about even luck with mouth and electric calls but the last two years a chicken has been my best call/ bait! Move slow always scan, a few years back we spent an entire winter hunting a lone male, always saw his tracks over ours on the way out, my buddy got a store maniquin and we put a broom stick in its hands, we caught him coming east or down wind around a little knoll and dropped him with a .243 he'd gone around us and his tracks cut back about 60 yards from our "dummy" seem to have my best luck calling mornings along rivers and even the small pond at my friends house something about drinking in the am after a night of prowling I guess. They are smart and weary and have great ears better eyes and an even better nose, if you can call in and kill turkey you can hunt yotes, we usually team hunt someone with a shotgun or pistol or mini 14 and someone with a true varmint or deer rifle for the ones that hang up way out there. Best tip I can give don't over call and give each set up at least an hour, be even more cautious about sent than when you hunt deer!

OS OK
01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
I'm not worried about Bigfoot as this year my calling rifle is a Marlin bolt action .308. Shoots the 110 Vmax at 3250 fps very well and the bullet does not ricochet off frozen ground. Does well accuracywise in 30-06 to boot, over 3031 or 4064. In 308 I favor IMR 4895.

The coyotes here in eastern Nebraska have poor color and are not worth much save as self preserved pelts for bragging purposes. Generally after the shot I look up over the scope and nothing is moving. I like that.

The 110 Vmax has much greater accuracy potential than the 110 spire point which I used to use years ago.

That's about as close to a 'bolt of lightning' as I can think of!

35remington
01-25-2017, 10:14 PM
Since the wind is out of the north northwest most times when I am calling thought must be given to your stand setup so they cannot flank you and get your scent when they come in.

Generally I like to be on the south side of east-west draws with a setup on a point of cover with open fields on my flanks. They will not cross open fields if they can avoid it and will follow any available tree line or fence row with cover to avoid exposing themselves.

Knowing this you must setup with knowledge of their likely approach to minimize their great advantages in vision and smell.....and again, try not to allow them cover so they can circle downwind and scent you before they come in.

On occasion they come in from unexpected directions. I've seen them circle to cut my scent trail and react to my scent in a light breeze at a quarter mile or more. They get out of Dodge quick.

Coyote calling makes deer hunting seem positively dull when you spot one coming in.

My '06 will do 34-3500 depending upon whether I am using 3031 or 4064 and is an absolute bomb of a coyote rifle as well, a lightweight fiberglass Savage made before they got the current clunky flimsy Tupperware stocks and a skinny barrel that is a joy to carry. Three shots usually do near an inch and an eighth.....at 200 yards. Groups of five open up due to barrel heat but I never shoot that many in a row.

Great coyote rifle. Overpowered, yes, but I never shoot twice and as I said hides aren't worth much here.

35remington
01-25-2017, 10:37 PM
If you can visualize an east-west draw or tree line, usually a stream course, I will set up on a point of cover south of the tree line that has about a 50-100 yard gap of open field between me and the tree line. When called they will follow the trees until directly north of me, then cross the small open space to get to me.

This maximizes my concealment and and allows me to guard my flanks so they cannot circle me. Study google earth and plan your calling spots before you go as this helps identify likely areas and saves much time. Maps can be printed out beforehand and I recommend that.

I have many requests to call coyotes as the cattlemen here are not fond of them. Nothing like people calling you to get you to shoot their critters. This weekend I will be trying my luck on the west side of the county line, but finding a good calling location will be tricky. Time to get the photos out.

35remington
01-25-2017, 10:49 PM
It is no use sitting in a big expanse of cover or trees as that simply gives them room to flank you and get your scent. Sit such that the coyote producing location is in front of you and upwind. Sit on a point of cover with a gap of open ground between you and the coyote producing cover. Have open flanks so they cannot circle undetected and scent you.

Think about your approach zones and good calling setups based on topography, cover and wind direction and your success will increase. Neglect good stand choices and you'll call coyotes you will never see or know about because they will scent you and skedaddle before you know they are there.

RoyEllis
01-26-2017, 12:06 AM
Learned a new yote killing set up from a fellow I go to church with. He takes 2 wire live traps, puts a tomcat in one and a female in heat into the other. Sets them 10-20ft apart 300yds out from a barn in the open pasture, either early a.m. or last couple hours of day, takes position in barn & waits for 'yotes to come in. Around most farms 'yotes eat barn cats like crazy & that brings them outta the woodwork.

9.3X62AL
01-26-2017, 12:22 AM
Good info above, esp. from 35 Rem.

I am in the midst of developing varmint loads for my 6.5 x 55 (Ruger 77R), using 85 grain Sierra and 95 grain Hornady in a shoot-off to see which one groups tighter. Hornady seems to be a bit better, so far.

The toughest coyote hunting I've had was around Ridgecrest. Those song dogs get hunted HARD, and I think they know most of the recorded predator call soundfiles by heart. A mouth call is a lot more "random", and does better for me.

9.3X62AL
01-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Learned a new yote killing set up from a fellow I go to church with. He takes 2 wire live traps, puts a tomcat in one and a female in heat into the other. Sets them 10-20ft apart 300yds out from a barn in the open pasture, either early a.m. or last couple hours of day, takes position in barn & waits for 'yotes to come in. Around most farms 'yotes eat barn cats like crazy & that brings them outta the woodwork.

I gotta ask......how many times to the cats PUT UP WITH that regimen?

richhodg66
01-26-2017, 07:59 AM
I'd have to look it up, but I believe coyotes are legal to hunt at night here. Between the thick woods and if we have close to a full moon, it might be an option especially with a shotgun. Not sure what kind of light set up would help.

Bodean98
01-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Unless it has changed recently, yes you may hunt coyotes a night here but not with the aid of any type of artificial light.

richhodg66
01-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Seems there were weapon restrictions such as what size shot you can use. I need to research it.

After years of field training in the army, I know I see better in the dark than most guys do if I get away from artificial light. Might wait for a good moon and give that a try.

OS OK
01-26-2017, 09:15 AM
I noticed the last sliver of the moon last night...sorta saying seeya. I figure about 2 weeks give or take and she'll be bright and full...but the question in my mind is this..."How are you going to find a female cat in estrous? A ferrule cat? Well, good luck with that part...I think I'd rather buy a can of sardines and go coon hunting without a dog."

35remington
01-26-2017, 09:26 AM
With snow on the ground a partial moon is just right. A full moon is too bright for my taste.

randy_68
01-26-2017, 12:11 PM
We usually get out 3 or 4 times each winter and manage to shoot a few. We have always went out at first light and have had good luck, but I know some call at night and are successful too. Been out twice this year and got one on our first trip, a big male that finally came in after I switched the call to another coyote. I use a FoxPro wildfire and it's ok but I wish it was louder. He came from over 400 yards away and stopped at 65 looking around but never looked at the call. My buddy shot him with a .243 but only wounded him so I sent a 150 gr Speer out of my .308 thru him. That did the trick.lol
I never had much luck with mouth calls, but then again I never used them that much.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/randy_68/Hunting%20pics/IMG_20170102_081132157_zpsdntqikok.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/randy_68/media/Hunting%20pics/IMG_20170102_081132157_zpsdntqikok.jpg.html)
I fixed me up a new coyote rifle since then in .223.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/randy_68/AR15/IMG_20170122_140223309_zpsxhmbuoyq.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/randy_68/media/AR15/IMG_20170122_140223309_zpsxhmbuoyq.jpg.html)

RoyEllis
01-26-2017, 12:11 PM
I gotta ask......how many times to the cats PUT UP WITH that regimen?
I honestly don't know how often he uses the same cats. He owns a fairly large farm including 7 Tyson broiler houses about 400ft long, several grain/feed silos for cattle and chicken feed. At a guess he has probably 40 to 50 cats of various age running everywhere, he says the rat & mouse problems use to cost him $$$, so he keeps lots of cats. He told me he looses several cats every week (mostly kittens & young ones) to hawks, owls and the steady flow of dumped feral dogs.
I don't own or really like cats, just hunt with him a good bit....his method seems to do well. In the past 3 months, he and I have gone out 26 times & taken 34 yotes and 2 wild hogs(not sure why the hogs came in but we don't pass them up).

OS OK
01-26-2017, 12:17 PM
That's a fine looking camo-job there randy_68.

runfiverun
01-26-2017, 01:40 PM
I don't wanna put this up but it might help out there too.
get you a squeaky toy [like the dogs chew on] and take the squeaker out.
there are two types.
the little plastic ones about 1/4" around and 1/2" long you blow through.
and the ones you pinch to make squeak.
the more annoying the better.
they can be used to help back up the caller and to stop the yotes when they wanna leave the area.
the pinch type is better up close since it's a bit quieter but it will get their attention.
if your set up and camo'd and they are close they will sometimes stop and look right at you and cock their head to the side.

shoot-n-lead
01-26-2017, 01:48 PM
there are two types.
they can be used to help back up the caller and to stop the yotes when they wanna leave the area.
the pinch type is better up close since it's a bit quieter but it will get their attention.
if your set up and camo'd and they are close they will sometimes stop and look right at you and cock their head to the side.

BINGO!

That is one of the most important pieces of equipment that you can have...it will often make the difference.

LAKEMASTER
01-26-2017, 01:52 PM
i decided to make myself learn the mouth calls. most of mine are from primos.

popper
01-26-2017, 02:45 PM
All the dogs I've had or known will KILL to get that crazy squeeker out. My guess yotes would be the same. A buddy uses the 223 for them, hits them but they run off. IIRC he uses the standard 55gr. FMJ stuff. Has the same problem with pigs.

shoot-n-lead
01-26-2017, 02:49 PM
All the dogs I've had or known will KILL to get that crazy squeeker out. My guess yotes would be the same. A buddy uses the 223 for them, hits them but they run off. IIRC he uses the standard 55gr. FMJ stuff. Has the same problem with pigs.

Your friend needs to match the bullet, to the job...they won't typically run off, then.

white eagle
01-26-2017, 02:57 PM
camo is very important
think of turkey hunting but with a very keen sense of smell
breaking up your outline is helpfull
personally I use both electronic and hand calls and use a variety of sounds
getting to be near their breeding season around these parts so coyote vocalizations
will work well
try not too call one spot to often and call different spots they may not be in your
area when you call ..its is fun
as for guns I use either a 12 ga with 4b,a 222 remington or a 220 swift

richhodg66
01-26-2017, 07:31 PM
I have a couple of boxes of old 12 gauge waterfowl loads (pre-steel shot requirement) that were 3" and I think 1 7/8 ounce of BB lead shot. I have shot a very few just to see and they are some kind of ferocious. Figured they'd work well for this.

35remington
01-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Pad yourself and pattern one. Good to know how far you can kill something.

RoyEllis
01-27-2017, 12:00 AM
there are two types.
I thought I was about the only one cheap enough to use those! Now if you also get those stuffed toys that dance around & play a tune, do surgery to kill the speaker....then we must be related LOL! I ain't about to spend $75 on a "motion decoy" when a $6.99 toy will do as good. Just call me "cheap and proud of it":grin:

runfiverun
01-27-2017, 12:18 AM
maybe we are.

I used wind up frogs in the duck decoys.
I would flip the switch and send them on their way when some birds were looking in, and had a cheezy little bird that flew around a string on a pole in there too instead of a mojo. [long before mojo actually]

for the yotes.
a piece of fishline and an old weasel thingy [hard to explain, it's yellow-orange and fuzzy and was hooked to a ball that rolled around] I found is my locator to draw their attention.
it just hangs off the sage brush and flutters and the string makes the branch/bush shake around.
I have used it while sitting in the truck in the winter a couple of times and rabbit squealed out the window.

randy_68
01-27-2017, 08:48 AM
maybe we are.

for the yotes.
a piece of fishline and an old weasel thingy [hard to explain, it's yellow-orange and fuzzy and was hooked to a ball that rolled around] I found is my locator to draw their attention.
it just hangs off the sage brush and flutters and the string makes the branch/bush shake around.
I have used it while sitting in the truck in the winter a couple of times and rabbit squealed out the window.

I always thought those would work but never tried one. I usually don't use anything as an attractant but just might have to make something before I go out again.

richhodg66
01-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Guys seem to say buck shot is the way to go. Bigger shot than I would have expected. It's not legal for deer hunting in Kansas so may be tough to find some. Might be the catalyst I need to get out my .311 RB mold and the load all.

I'm not much of a shot gunner, but have a few. Only one that would make sense for this, Winchester 1300 pump with a long barrel and choke tubes that will handle 3" shells. Truthfully, the most boring gun to me I own, but I guess I'll pull it out and try some things in it to pattern it.

Neat advice about the squeaky toys. Seems I make it into the pet section at Wal Mart a lot, I'll have to look them over.

white eagle
01-27-2017, 08:15 PM
I have a dog that loves to tear apart those little stuffed toys
I end up with squeakers alot There is a bulb squeaker that is made for calling
that you could tape to your barrel to close the deal and bring them in close
also try the kiss of death the sound you make when you want to kiss mama or your girlfriend
also I forgot to post in my other thread that I also use a 10 ga for tight work along with the 12 ga
its a most enjoyable hunting season and lasts for a long time more time hunting is always a good thing

richhodg66
01-27-2017, 08:20 PM
I had wondered if a 10 gauge might have a decided advantage over a 12 in this game. Might look into getting one.

Rick Hodges
01-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Lead BB's in a 12 gauge will usually do the trick to 40-50 yds. I use a .223 with 55 gr. sierras. Stay off the point of the shoulder and they go down. I hear all the talk about coyotes being tough to kill....I haven't found that to be so, if you hit them. Anything inside of 300 yds and that 55g sp. at 3160 fps kills just fine with minimal hide damage. If using an electronic caller with remote I like to set it out about 50-60 yds crosswind from me. I have a mallard wing feather with a piece of fishing line and alligator clip that I attach nearby to flip and flutter in any breeze. Hope to keep the coyotes attention away from me.
I find that I kill most coyotes as they swing downwind to catch the scent.

quilbilly
01-28-2017, 01:40 PM
I'd kind of like to kill some coyotes to thin them out some. Haven't seen many on the property, but have seen the tracks and here them close by at night. I have about 18 acres, mostly heavy woods and rolling, ought to b easy to set up an ambush site.

I want to try an electronic call I can use a remote with. Any recommendations? I was looking at this one; http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/icotec-gc300-electronic-predator-call?a=1549621

I've hard tying a turkey feather or similar with thread so it moves easily in a breeze helps seal the deal on an incoming coyote, will that work or should I get one of these decoys that moves?

I'll probably use a shotgun and have some appropriate shells around. I just have a feeling based on the place that shots will be close and maybe fast.

How important is getting fully camouflaged? With deer it isn't critical at all, but I'm guessing predators see better.
I am an enthusiastic coyote caller but for personal reasons generally leave the cats alone.
On camouflage - good camoflage is very important but even more important is to have something between you and the direction your target is coming from to cover your movements. Even a small bush will cover movement.
On calls - I have been using mouth calls for over 50 years and shunned the electronic calls until last year when I saw a cheap $50 Primo's call on sale at Cabelas. I was amazed at how well it worked (a fawn distress brought in three coyotes the first time I turned it on). Your call should match what you have. In our area there are few rabbits so I use fawn distress with the occasional coyote howl.

shoot-n-lead
01-28-2017, 02:27 PM
On camouflage - good camoflage is very important but even more important is to have something between you and the direction your target is coming from to cover your movements. Even a small bush will cover movement.

It is all camouflage...whether worn or not.

camouflage - hide or disguise the presence of (a person, animal, or object)

M-Tecs
01-28-2017, 02:34 PM
I hear all the talk about coyotes being tough to kill....I haven't found that to be so, if you hit them.

I read that a lot about a lot of game animals . When using proper bullets and shot placement I have never found anything that didn't die as expected. I've killed more stuff than most. Every time I have had a difficult recovery it was poor shot placement or bullet performance issues.

To date I have lost one deer with a bow in 1972 and one with a firearm in the mid 80's. Total big game killed is around 200.

In the 70's fur prices were very good. I did lose about a dozen coyotes using FMJ's.

MT Gianni
01-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Get a large can 5 lb or so of corn, table ready not dried. Add some red dye like cake icing. Mix it well and put some chunks 10-20 yards out from the decoy with a few small chunks leading to you decoy. I am assuming your are hunting in snow. This gives them a visual that occasionally lets them forget all but getting there first. In small amounts beet chunks work well but cost a little more. Besides camo stay absolutely still and don't smoke or chew. If possible use a buddy to watch the opposite direction that you do.

richhodg66
01-29-2017, 12:57 AM
I read that a lot about a lot of game animals . When using proper bullets and shot placement I have never found anything that didn't die as expected. I've killed more stuff than most. Every time I have had a difficult recovery it was poor shot placement or bullet performance issues.

To date I have lost one deer with a bow in 1972 and one with a firearm in the mid 80's. Total big game killed is around 200.

In the 70's fur prices were very good. I did lose about a dozen coyotes using FMJ's.

I haven't killed many of them, but one stands out in my mind I killed while trying to catch a few days of the muzzle loader deer season right after I got back from Iraq last time. I was sitting in a permanent stand I'd had up for years with a skirt of camo net around it, so generally pretty well hidden. A young coyote walked right out in the open, maybe 20 yards from the stand, effectively committing suicide. An RCBS 250 grain Keith bullet in a sabot punched a neat entry hole and a baseball sized exit hole. The coyote wasn't going anywhere after that, but it snapped and thrashed until after I got the rifle reloaded, probably a full minute. I couldn't believe how tough that thing was.

This may be wrong to say, but as long as I kill them, I'm not that concerned about recovering them. If they run off and die somewhere else, OK. I had to go to Council Bluffs today, so stopped in the Omaha Cabela's. Around me, buck shot load availability is small. Picked up a box of 25 Estate #4 buck shells. They say there's 27 pellets in each and an advertised velocity of 1325 FPS, should be a potent load. Hope to pattern some tomorrow or the next day and see.

quilbilly
01-29-2017, 03:00 PM
I use #4 buck in my Sav 24V 20 ga. barrel for close range (under 50 yards) shots at coyotes. They are excellent for quick shots in heavy cover when speed is of the essence.

M-Tecs
01-29-2017, 11:52 PM
T shot works best for me. Next is 1 7/8 oz of copper plated BB's.

#4 Buck never patterned well for me but that was in the 70's & 80's out of a fixed full choke. I haven't worked with it since going to screw in chokes.

richhodg66
01-30-2017, 12:12 AM
I drew a 30" circle and shot the center of it with on of the 3" 1 7/8 ounce of BB lead shot and once with these Estate #4 buck. Pretty sure either would work, but I think the BB shells will get more hits. Those are some ferocious shells!

Wife and I were in the dollar store today and I picked up a couple of cheap squeaky dog toys I'm gonna try out, but still think I'm going to get an electronic call.

runfiverun
01-30-2017, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't buy a 10 guage.
I would invest in shot shells loaded with hevi-shot.
you can use a smaller size than lead and have better patterns and better penetration due to it's density and smaller frontal area.

richhodg66
01-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Sounds like good advice.

popper
01-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Rich, read an article a whie back about shot shells. It was a pattening test for many brands of shells, I know a few years old but the guy seemed to respect Rio, Estate and WWX as good. His opinion was re-branded stuff was junk. I don't get to pattern my SGs but found placing a clay at different distance helped me judge how long a bird shot I could take with simple heavy dove loads in 20ga. Still pretty effective ~ 30-40 yds. with I.C. Practiced getting 50yd shots on aerial clays with the 12 last week. Those droppers are the dickens. IMO, #4 regular is pretty effective, buck just doesn't put enough pellets out there. Yes, my buddy just uses the cheap stuff in 223. He used to reload but quit. He may restart after he & his wife empty both 147gr. 9mm mags into a pig and I got one with a single 40sw cast rnd. he perked up a bit when he found my BO loads are into the 30/30 jacketed range.

white eagle
01-30-2017, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't sell the 10 ga short
I used that and heavy shot on a 21.5# turkey at 61 long paces
same argument for the 45 colt over the 44 mag is the 10 over 12

condor257
01-30-2017, 04:04 PM
I hunt predators more than any other game animal except turkey, Camo is more for you then a predator I have taken more predators in blue jeans and t shirt than I can count, this includes bobcat, If you sitting still they wont notice you especially with an e-caller they are focusing on that. I never use a decoy unless going to bobcat specifically this just helps them from checking up as long. Wind is your only real challenge bobcats don't care about if they smell you, but coyotes will be gone in a blink if they smell you. Setting your e caller out in front of you and on the upwind side will usually put a coyote directly in front of you. Its kind of like setting decoys up for geese and making the kill zone. I try to set up in a location that the wind is blowing to an opening this way you can see the coyote circle ( and 99% of the time they do) and you should have a shot. I prefer a side wind more than wind in my face since wind in my face equals coyote behind me.

telebasher
01-30-2017, 04:14 PM
A coyote lives and dies by his nose other than that all bets are off.

TCLouis
01-31-2017, 12:17 AM
That iS A REALLY great camo job, and how well it blends in is an example of what is WRONG with most camo including military stuff

trapper9260
01-31-2017, 12:30 PM
I find this post of interest. I trap coyotes .I got 17 this season from Nov when the season open to 5th of Dec.For how 35 stated of he set up to get them is just about how I set my traps.As for camo.There was a guy name Gerry Blair from AZ that wrote for the Trapper and Predator mag. and he use just about anything to hunt coyotes .He had one time he was in a santa out fit.had the coyotes to show for it.Like stated be still.