PDA

View Full Version : NOE/Star (Magma) adapter

cainttype
01-25-2017, 04:21 PM
The NOE push through bushings seem to be a perfect match for those who own Star/Magma lubrisizers and would like the option of using tumble lube options without the much higher cost of individual Star-type dies. An adaptor with the outside dimensions of a normal Star die and an ID of 0.6255-0.626 to accept Al's bushings would be far more cost effective than purchasing a Star/Magma die in each diameter... $9.75 vs $40-$50.

The Star dies are 1.45" total length, have a body OD of .750", and a top flange with an OD of .875" that is .125" thick.
I would love to see an internal shoulder as a positive stop for the bushing, although the bushings already have flanges... Might be a little over-kill, but if you're gonna wish...

How easy is that?
How many Star/Magma units are out there?... A lot.

If you like this idea let Al know, either here or on his forum in the "Wish List" section.

cainttype
01-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Adding versatility to regular sizing/lubing would also be very cost effective. For example, if you sized and lubed in a standard .460" die and had bushings for .459 and .458... S/L in a .312" and had bushings in .311" and .310"... The same possibilities would apply for every caliber.

MT Chambers
01-25-2017, 05:16 PM
If it doesn't allow you to lube at the same time(Like a Star is supposed to), I wouldn't find it of any use.

cainttype
01-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Instantly adapting one of my Stars, their speed and the bottom ejection design, specifically for tumble lube designs adds a new option that I think many would find attractive. That would be the main intent, while resizing pre-lubed projectiles to various sizes would be a nice option to add to the toolbox if a standard Star-type die is not already in your possession.
Adding diameters for $9.75 is a bargain, any way you look at it.

Adding vesatility to such a nice machine with such a minimal investment makes an option I'd like a lot.

cainttype
01-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Powder coated shooters that already own a Star should also find it to be a very useful accessory.

dragon813gt
01-26-2017, 11:25 AM
If it doesn't allow you to lube at the same time(Like a Star is supposed to), I wouldn't find it of any use.

It's not supposed to lube. The NOE bushing system is for tumble lube or coatings. The adapter is a great idea IMO. Especially for people, like myself, that have bullet feeders hooked up to it. Load tubes, or the collator if you have one, and go to town. It beats handling every single bullet. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work w/ the pneumatic systems that many have on theirs.

runfiverun
01-26-2017, 02:13 PM
it would have some uses.
even having the star sizers I keep thinking that just being able to put on a gas check, or run something through a clean non lubed size die would be helpful.
I don't want to go lee.
but just an add on 7 dollar bushing would be helpful I could use one in 410,259,310,358,and probably 312-313 right now.

cainttype
01-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Al seems to like the idea. He says he has Magma sending a die for him to measure... I'd have provided one myself if I'd known it might move this quickly.
It might force me to invest in a few Ranch Dog tumble lube designs that I didn't know I needed, but experimenting is part of the fun.

ioon44
01-27-2017, 11:20 AM
You might contact Lathesmith here on the forum as he makes dies for the Star/Magma and see if he would make an adapter.
I think it would be limited to PC and Hi-Tek coated bullets.

dragon813gt
01-27-2017, 11:49 AM
It would work w/ tumble lube as well.

runfiverun
01-27-2017, 01:06 PM
yep.
tumble lube.
powder coating.
pre heat treated boolits.
reducing already lubed boolits.
seating gas checks base first, before lubing.
drawing down boolits in steps.
paper patching.

I'm guessing they might be handy to have for 1-2 things.

cainttype
02-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Al Nelson sent an adapter over for me to try. It worked really well, so I'm happy with the set up.
I tumble lubed the bullets in BLL before sizing, after seeing a dry cast get good and stuck about a month ago, and the Star's speed and convenience was obvious. Two hundred rounds went quickly, slowed only by having to snap gas-checks on.
A very noticeable difference from his normal (very nice unit) set up is that you can simply press your cast nose-first into the sizer-bushing with finger pressure and shove it through, there's no reason to guide the bullet into the die with your fingers after it's pressed into the bushing nose-down. Gas checks simply go along for the ride, no fumbling with them after they're snapped in place. A catch bin under your press fills rather quickly.
The adapter is a nice finger-tight fit into the lubrisizer, and the bushings just drop into place. Changing the bushing is as easy as lifting one out and dropping in another, no tools necessary.
If using a base punch for nose-first sizing, the length of the shaft needs to be almost .7" to clear the entire bushing in a single stroke.
I had thought that "maybe" a set screw to hold the bushing, and a groove to lock the adapter with the Star's die set screw might be a good thing... After using the adapter I think the slip fit idea is better, not to mention keeping things simple and quick in both manufacture and swapping bushings.
I like it a lot.
https://thumb.ibb.co/fRquqa/IMG_1343.jpg (https://ibb.co/fRquqa)

https://thumb.ibb.co/fYmZqa/IMG_1345.jpg (https://ibb.co/fYmZqa)

https://thumb.ibb.co/jnDEqa/IMG_1346.jpg (https://ibb.co/jnDEqa)

AbitNutz
02-28-2017, 02:58 AM
OK....I want one. This will work perfectly for me. I've moved almost entirely to coated bullets using Hi-Tek. How do I get one?

cainttype
02-28-2017, 07:55 AM
OK....I want one. This will work perfectly for me. I've moved almost entirely to coated bullets using Hi-Tek. How do I get one?

Expect to see them listed on NOE's webpage soon. Al is very good at making things happen quickly.
It never hurts to ask, either. NOE is very receptive to customer requests, input, and feedback.

reed1911
02-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Yep-Yep. I shot him an e-mail and received a quick reply they are in the works and will be available soon.

cainttype
03-16-2017, 08:05 PM
They are now listed....
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104_453&osCsid=e5piu6s09tki96r544047n2245

Thanks, Al!

clum553946
03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Ordered one & some bushings! Perfect for PC bullets!

fredj338
03-17-2017, 03:17 PM
I have a Star & when I moved mostly to coated, I just bought the Lee dies. You can get a cheap Lee C ss press, invert it on your bench & you have a pass thru sizer. I mounted mine to a chunk of 2x12 & C clamp to the bench. Then it is instantly out of the way when I don't need it.

cainttype
03-17-2017, 05:58 PM
I have a Star & when I moved mostly to coated, I just bought the Lee dies. You can get a cheap Lee C ss press, invert it on your bench & you have a pass thru sizer. I mounted mine to a chunk of 2x12 & C clamp to the bench. Then it is instantly out of the way when I don't need it.

The NOE bushings are less expensive than LEE's dies... a second press is not necessary... LEE doesn't offer half as many sizes as NOE (Perhaps someone could post the price of a LEE in a "custom" size?... Is it higher still?)... Changing an NOE bushing is lift-out/drop-in, basically instant change-over... NOE is a top-notch vender that has products and customer service that any business would be proud to claim, but not many can.
I have the adapter and highly recommend it to Star owners that might appreciate the versatility it adds to what is already the best sizer available.

dragon813gt
03-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Custom Lee dies are around $50 shipped. Plus you have to wait a month plus to get it. NOE's bushing system is far cheaper if you need a bunch of different sizes.