PDA

View Full Version : Gas check obstructing bore?

rayg
06-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Just a question. Has anyone had, or know of an incident where a gas check that fell off the bullet in the case obstructed the bore after firing, or couldn't it happen? I imagine it would just blow out but just wondering. Ray

Ricochet
06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Don't know of it, but I expect that a gas check in the bore could do no worse than possibly cause a ring in the barrel.

Ben
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
My 1st thoughts on the subject is that any force that could have any chance of clearing the bore of the bullet would easily also clear the barrel of the g/c also.

I'd say that it would be near impossible for it to occur.

Ben

Ricochet
06-28-2008, 03:53 PM
i don't think he's suggesting that a gas check on the base of the boolit could come off and remain in the bore as it's fired. But a gas check falling off loose in the case before firing might very well end up in the bore after firing.

Ben
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
You're right, I guess I didn't clearly understand his question.

However back in the day when Lyman non crimped g/c's were used quite often, it would seem that this situation would have been easy to occur on more than one occasion.

I've never heard of damage that was definitely linked to a loose g/c in a cartridge case at the time of firing.

Ben

runfiveslittlegirl
06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
it would cause some funny looking flyers though i bet.
hope they weren't using a chrono at the time.

ra_balke
06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Back when I was young, I remember Skeeter Skelton writing about his S&W 44 Special, and a ring in the bbl.
He speculated that a gas check had stopped in the bbl, and the next round caused a bbl ring.

He said the gun's accuracy was not affected, but he knew the ring was in there, and he did not like it.