PDA

View Full Version : Which Neck Size Die ?

Finster101
01-24-2017, 09:09 PM
So I have a Sako .243 that I bought in the early 80s and would like to start shooting it a bit more. I have quite a bit of brass and think neck sizing rather than full length may be the best way to go. What are the pros and cons of different manufacturers. I know this isn't the correct forum but I'd be happy to hear any cast pet load advice as well.

Thanks,
James

runfiverun
01-24-2017, 09:49 PM
I'm using no longer made Hornady neck sizers. [they still make them just not that style]
they work just like a size die only they don't size anything but the neck.

you can just back your size die off and do a partial full length sizing but not bump the neck.
if your size die isn't super minimum or your chamber isn't super sized it works out pretty well.
if you have either case then a neck sizer is super nice to have.

one other option is to use a fatter cases die to just NS.
I use a 7 wssm to neck size my 7x57 ICL cases and to seat boolits with too.
that way I touch nothing but the neck.

Ickisrulz
01-24-2017, 11:16 PM
I use a CH4D bushing neck sizing die. The bushing can be ordered in any size you want. I use the same die for 338 win, 30-06 and 22-250. I just swap out the bushing.

Char-Gar
01-25-2017, 11:45 AM
I would buy an RCBS or Redding, with no particular preference between the two.

ole 5 hole group
01-25-2017, 11:59 AM
I would recommend the Redding with a carbide button. You could also look at a Wilson, just know the size bushing size you want.

bkbville
01-25-2017, 02:06 PM
The Lee collet neck sizing dies work. I've used these with great results and they come in the deluxe rifle die sets.

I've also used the Hornady 30-cal and plan to pick up the 6.5. These are neck size specific - you buy the 30 and can use it on 308, 30-06, 7.5 Swiss, etc. etc. Not sure they have .243 though.

I also like but don't have the CH4D bushing neck sizing dies - I think they have 3 models based on case length but can accommodate multiple both their and LE Wilson bushings of multiple neck sizes as Isckisrulz mentions.

rosewood
01-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Love the Lee. You don't have to lube. They do not cause the brass to stretch that I can tell. So as soon as you finish sizing, you are ready to load. I can say I don't think the Lee creates as much neck tension as other brands or by backing off a FL sizing die does, however, that has never caused an issue for me.

Rosewood

MT Chambers
01-25-2017, 03:56 PM
If you have the cash, the Redding Bushing style neck sizing die is tops, you can get different bushings to alter case neck tension, these work on the outside of the case neck.

1hole
01-25-2017, 04:09 PM
By itself, neck sizing for factory reamer cut chambers do little that's good, if anything at all.

For factory chambers and commonly processed cases, Lee's collet sizer is by far the best tool. BUT, it's not a simplistic "push the case in, pull the case out" like conventional neck sizers; it has a moving part (the collet) that seems to baffle some owners. Lee's collet die does have a necessary learning curve so if you want simplicity get any other brand of conventional neck die, bushings or not, you wish because, on average, the brand won't matter. Advertising claims aside, there is as much difference in dimensions within a give die brand as there is between brands; ditto chamber reamers.

The skill of the reloader himself is much more important than any brand of tools he may use, accuracy simply can't be bought in a box at any price. Note that NO tool brand makes a claim that their dies or presses, etc., automatically or on average makes "better", more accurate ammunition than others and they sure would if it could be proven.

Conventional wisdom is rarely wise and brand loyalty always amazes me. I gave up expecting reloading magic in boxes of any color or price forty years ago and buy by features. All of our makers produce good tools but if they are used less than perfectly none of them will correct for my lack of skill.

r1kk1
01-25-2017, 05:04 PM
I use bushing style dies. I can shrink group sizes changing bushing sizes either .001" tighter or looser.

Take care

r1kk1

Finster101
01-25-2017, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice, some of which to be honest I do not quite understand. I have done very little rifle reloading, mostly pistol. I figured neck sizing would be easier on the brass since I'm using a bolt gun. I have not shot cast in this rifle yet but I have a mold and plan to soon. I think for now I will use the full length sizer that came with my die set. I may have put the cart in front of the horse. This rifle is capable of shooting much better than I can anymore. I would just enjoy using it again.

laveritt
01-26-2017, 01:16 AM
+1 on Redding

Wayne Smith
01-26-2017, 10:01 AM
The first time you load brass for that rifle you need to use the standard full length die anyway. There is little likelihood that brass fired in another rifle will fit yours.

After it is formed for your chamber is when you want to neck size - if you do. The dies are not particularly expensive, either.

Moonie
01-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice, some of which to be honest I do not quite understand. I have done very little rifle reloading, mostly pistol. I figured neck sizing would be easier on the brass since I'm using a bolt gun. I have not shot cast in this rifle yet but I have a mold and plan to soon. I think for now I will use the full length sizer that came with my die set. I may have put the cart in front of the horse. This rifle is capable of shooting much better than I can anymore. I would just enjoy using it again.

Something I've done for many years is add a dime to the shell holder when adjusting the die, this barely touches the body but does size the neck, granted there is a small section of the neck that doesn't get sized, but this procedure leaves the brass much closer to your chamber dimensions than full length sizing. I do love the Lee collet neck sizer however.

lightman
01-27-2017, 11:41 AM
I have both RCBS and Redding. I can't tell any difference between the two. Truthfully, I can't see any improvement in case life or accuracy when neck sizing only and my neck dies seldom get used. Most brass seems to fail because of loose primer pockets or neck splits anyway. I'm not a fan of bushing dies either, unless you neck turn. I do have a few sets of bushing dies that I use on tight neck custom rifles, so my opinion is at least based on a little experience.

I would be interested in trying the Lee collet neck die. What I read about it is pretty favorable. Expect to need to take it apart for an initial cleaning and maybe a polishing job.