PDA

View Full Version : Are they nuts?

TexasGrunt
01-24-2017, 06:00 PM
I've been haunting eBay looking for good deals on used molds.

I see tons of Lee two cavity molds that are used and people are asking $15-$20 for them and then $7-$12 for shipping. Most of those molds can be purchased on Amazon for $19.79 with free shipping if you're a Prime member, or if you buy two, for anyone else.

The worst part of it is people are buying them at that price. Why? Don't they shop around?

Texas by God
01-24-2017, 06:43 PM
I've wondered the same thing.

OutHuntn84
01-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Laziness and they just assume if its on ebay they are getting a good deal.

DerekP Houston
01-24-2017, 06:44 PM
I've found a lot of people don't factor the shipping and handling in with ebay, they just look at the bid price.

wistlepig1
01-24-2017, 06:51 PM
I have noted that for years, pay close to full price and get used or no good product. Every once in a while you may get a deal "Hows your luck today"

wv109323
01-24-2017, 07:07 PM
There are not many deals on E-bay anymore. For a seller, you pay the E-bay fees then the Pay-pal fees. You can find it just as cheap somewhere else.

Gtek
01-24-2017, 07:30 PM
And neither of them are very fond of us deplorables, said goodbye to them both many moons ago.

kmrra
01-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Well It was pointed out to me on here once that this is a free country , after I said something about a company that was selling the Johnson Liquid Wax , that is used in Bens Liquid Lube , But at 44 bux a can plus shipping ,I just couldn't resist saying something. I know that it has been discontinued a year or so ago , but I bought 2 cans off the internet yesterday for 9 bux a can its still out there you just have to hunt for it

sutherpride59
01-24-2017, 07:52 PM
I've found some pretty good deals on eBay but like you said you have to shop around. Heck I've found molds to be cheaper on optics planet when they have a sale than either eBay or Amazon. You just got to do the leg work if you want to save a buck but don't count them out completely.

Finster101
01-24-2017, 07:58 PM
I have found that I hate E-bay. If there is not a buy it now price I'm done but I have to say I rarely look there for anything anyway.

Hickory
01-24-2017, 08:04 PM
PT Barnum called it right.

swheeler
01-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Are they nuts?yes

375RUGER
01-24-2017, 08:47 PM
I've been haunting eBay looking for good deals on used molds.

I see tons of Lee two cavity molds that are used and people are asking $15-$20 for them and then $7-$12 for shipping. Most of those molds can be purchased on Amazon for $19.79 with free shipping if you're a Prime member, or if you buy two, for anyone else.

The worst part of it is people are buying them at that price. Why? Don't they shop around?

Have you seen the prices that people get for used Lee moulds over on that castboolits web site? Why don't they shop around?

bedbugbilly
01-24-2017, 08:51 PM
I'm a "deplorable" but I still buy and sell on eBay. BUT . . . I don't buy unless it is a good deal. The Lee molds are a good example that you point out. I usually give my business to Titan as they are sponsors here and their prices on the Lee molds are reasonable - plus I usually buy other items along with a mold so it spreads the cost of shipping some.

What gets me are the sellers . . . . it's easy to tell just by looking at the listing and price if they have a clue to what they are doing . . . and obviously many are just too plain lazy to do a search to see what they have by comparing to other listings on hat site . . . or googling to see what they sell for at normal retail. The same for buyers . . . some just don't know where to look and are too lazy to do some research.

Over the years, I've picked up a number of different molds - ideal, lyman, ribs off of eBay that were good bargains and good casting molds . . . and then I've bought some that were obviously not good deals. BUT . . . I've had the same experience with some molds I've purchased on here as well . . . so it isn't just limited to fleabby.

It all boils down to doing your homework and "caveat emptor". And please no comments on how I am supporting the "left" by using that site. If a person has convictions that don't allow them to use it - fine - but until somebody on the "right" develops a site that allows the exposure to buyers and sellers that is equal . . . we sometimes have to bite our lips and forge ahead.

Finster101
01-24-2017, 08:58 PM
I have nothing against e-bay other than it just doesn't work well for me. I don't have the time or the patience for the auction style stuff. You can occasionally come across some hard to find items but again it usually involves a big dedication of time.

jimb16
01-24-2017, 09:51 PM
I often sell there but almost never buy. I try to get top $ for my stuff, but bargain hunt for the things I buy.

jonas302
01-24-2017, 09:58 PM
I wonder the same thing when lee molds are listed on here even a good price shipping kills the deal same on ebay

boho
01-24-2017, 10:08 PM
I have bought new lee items from tyco sales on ebay. It has been a good experience. Satisfied customer only.

L Erie Caster
01-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Yes they are nuts.
Sometimes Ebay is just about winning the bid over everyone else.
Something like buying a $20 scratch off lottery ticket and being happy it is a $10 WINNER.

toallmy
01-25-2017, 09:00 AM
I have noticed in the last year or so the price of older as is molds tend to be at New prices . I have found some nice molds at a decent price but not lately . I love to cast with hard metal molds .

TexasGrunt
01-25-2017, 11:38 AM
If you shop hard on eBay you can find some bargains on some molds. If I had the cash there's a couple of Lyman molds right now for pretty decent prices.

dragon813gt
01-25-2017, 11:43 AM
eBay is an international site. The people purchasing my be out of the country. So while the price is higher for us it's a lot cheaper for them. I honestly don't care what someone else pays for an item. I only care about what I pay.

PtMD989
01-25-2017, 12:03 PM
I was looking for molds on ebay I thought the prices were way high. I ended up getting my Lee mold from Natchez for less than what Lee was asking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdi
01-25-2017, 12:30 PM
First, you have to know something about what you are buying. If you are a soon to be caster, you may not know about Titan Reloading (a major retailer/distributor of Lee products) or what the going prices for equipment is. If everybody did their research, ebay would be much smaller that it is today...

Grmps
01-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Don't you just love when they advertise $1.25 for an item and even though you know better you get a little excited THEN --- and after some searching find it's $29.99 shipping[smilie=l:. They must be getting a lot of suckers (or very tired people) because a lot of people are doing it

WFO2
01-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Well to me ebay is like anything else just pay attention I have bought several items from the over the years . I do look at shipping and seller ratings .As always buyer beware .

Oklahoma Rebel
01-25-2017, 04:36 PM
I hate ebay, if I do anything like that I go to amazon

gwpercle
01-25-2017, 08:44 PM
When I found out Lyman had stopped making all 41 magnum moulds , I started looking on Ebay, I only had one single cavity mould and at one time Lyman made 6 or 7 additional moulds in various weights. The Ebay prices were insane , two or three times the price of new Lyman moulds, I refused to pay it.
Bought a Lee 410-195-SWC 2 cavity for $20.00 and called it a day. Next , before Christmas , spotted a NOE Elmer Keith signature 3 cavity 412-237-SWC, ON SALE ! Perfect Christmas present !
After Christmas get a notification a wadcutter mould is going to be run , 413-215-WC I couldn't resist getting a 3 cavity . The new NOE's 3 cavity moulds were the same price or less than the used 2 cavity Lyman's on ebay ! I actually came out ahead .... sort of ? I spent money so I didn't really come out ahead , just not as deep in the hole...but I have some neat 41 moulds , yeah, that's the ticket !
Gary

Strtspdlx
01-25-2017, 09:08 PM
ebay is highest advertised pricing, and theres an idiot for every seat. ive been in that seat my fair share because of ignorance and being impulsive. I'm trying to get ahold of that and do better. Ive just about given up on ebay. after I got stiffed on a $600 chainsaw that blew up after something like 3 tanks of gas I swore id give up using ebay. its somewhat an addiction.

Idaho45guy
01-26-2017, 07:33 AM
I haven't been on Ebay for over 6 years... But I am an Amazon Prime customer. Bought my first couple of molds there, and the last one from Midway.