PDA

View Full Version : Prayer request for friend hit by heavy falling branch

Andy
01-24-2017, 03:24 PM
We have had lots of ice build up here this last week and last night through today got hit with 6-8" of heavy wet snow. While my friend was plowing on his tractor a heavy pine branch came down and hit him right in the head, making a serious gash. He lost a good bit of blood but is conscious and the bleeding is mostly stopped. He must not have even heard it coming due to the machine noise. His wife is taking him to the hospital right now and I wanted to ask for your prayers that he will be okay and there is no permanent injury from this.

This happened while he was doing something to help me out, I'm sick with a head cold at the moment and so he was plowing the neighbor's driveway so I wouldn't have to go out in the weather. I know it's not my fault, but I especially feel bad that it happened to him while he was there doing a kind thing for me.

While I was cleaning the branches off his tractor two more large branches fell from the same tree, another two fell in the front yard and a big one landed on the power lines and sent them twanging up and down. I watched the ones in the yard fall and they came down like darts due to the excess weight on the end of the branch from all the snow, wouldn't be surprised if they weighed 75-100 lbs before the ice/snow broke off them on impact.

I'll keep the thread updated as I get more info, but please keep him and his family in your prayers.

Mtnfolk75
01-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Prayers are up, don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you would have done the same thing if the roles were reversed. We have 63-64" of snow on the ground & it was 16* this morning. I also have a Serious Head/Chest Cold & SWMBO has been trying to shovel a path down the 18* slope 186108186108drive to get to the truck, we may be out by Friday.

buckwheatpaul
01-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Andy sorry you are under the weather.....it sounds like your neighbor is an angle in disguise.......

Father, Please heal Andy's neighbor for the head wound he suffered when a tree limb struck him in the head. Please give him peace and release him from any pain associated with this injury. Father, please heal Andy's cold as well and get both of these men back on their feet and with their loved ones. AMEN

Teddy (punchie)
01-24-2017, 06:41 PM
pray Andy's buddy is doing Okay .

hope you get to feeling better Andy.

square butte
01-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Prayer sent up for your friend and you - and everyone affected

jmort
01-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Praying for your friend and his family and friends

skeettx
01-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Yes, praying for your buddy,
It is good for us to have buddies
Sometimes it is rare in older age
Mike

Andy
01-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for your prayers, I know many people in our town and on here were praying for this and I know that God hears our collective prayers.

They just got back from the hospital and I am happy to say that I have very good news considering how serious this could have been. The CT scan showed no issues and other tests they did revealed no issues or cause for concern. I saw photos of the wound surface and it is an impressive V shaped deep gash, went right to the bone of his skull and required many stitches. Other than the wound and a sore neck/shoulder all is well though. This branch could easily have killed a man and we determined from photos of the branch/scene and the wound shape that the sharp broken fat end of the branch is what hit him directly on top of the head, so all in all God was definitely watching out for him as this, by all accounts, should have been much worse than it was.

Please pray for a speedy healing of the wound and for his pain level throughout the process. They could not give him pain killers and I want to ask God to keep his pain manageable and his healing swift.

Pine Baron
01-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Prayers sent.

Blackwater
01-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Good outcome. Prayers up for your friend.

Mtnfolk75
01-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Glad to hear there are no lingering effects or injuries, prayers are up for his quick healing & recovery.

Andy
02-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to ask for continued prayers on this, it looks like I was wrong before when I said there was no concussion. He did receive a concussion from it and there is a "take it easy" period of some weeks/months that is necessary due to this and previous injuries. This isn't one of those overcautious doctor things, the effects of ignoring a symptom from this can be pretty severe and we are praying he does not develop any of those complications.

Additionally, I gather that the compounding of this injury from ones in the past has made this event more noteworthy/severe to recover from than it might otherwise have been. Please continue to pray that there will be no lasting effects from this and that he is able to have a full recovery and quickly return to his normal life/activities.

Thank you for your prayers with this. Both I and the man injured believe strongly that Jesus Christ is the healer of all sickness and we pray that his will be done in regard to this healing.

Thank You,
Andy

smoked turkey
02-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Andy I read the earlier prayer request and did pray but didn't post. I feel led to post just so you know that others are praying for both you and your friend. Yes I think it is somewhat of a miracle that he wasn't knocked off the tractor which could have resulted in even worse injuries. I will pray that his recovery will be complete and will occur quickly. That the Great Physician will reduce the swelling from the accident and he will not have recurring problems with this. You are a great friend to have and I am sure your friend realizes this. May the Lord bless you both for your concerns for each other's needs.

buckwheatpaul
02-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Father, Andy's friend is in need for prayers for healing due to the serious injury he suffered a while ago. Please take any fears away from the injured man and his family. Please guide the physicians that are tending to his concussion and associated problems associated with the head injury. Father, I know we ask for a lot but we have the faith that You will answer all prayers. I ask that your will be done and to please intervene and heal this man. AMEN

Preacher Jim
02-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Lord be with Andy friend and his family also Andy, Lord he needs your healing touch upon this injury and bring him back to good health
Amen

USMC87
02-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Hey Andy, Prayers will be offered for your friend and his family.

Hickok
02-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Lord be with Andy friend and his family also Andy, Lord he needs your healing touch upon this injury and bring him back to good health
Amenin Jesus Name, Amen.

Blackwater
02-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Prayers still on-going. My understanding of these things is that the real danger oftentimes comes some time after the event, so I understand the "take it easy" directions. Have been hit in the head many times, but thankfully, no serious concussions. I guess my head's a little harder than most??? ;^) It's amazing what all the brain can take, but it does have its limits, and the body processes don't escape being applied to that critical organ any more than it does all the rest in us. I wish him well. It's good he's got a friend like you who'll think to ask for prayers for him. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to hopefully, make a difference.

Andy
02-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Thank you for your continued prayers, I don't have much to say as far as specific details for an update but I can say that nothing is going badly vs. expectations and things are generally on a positive, healing trajectory. So, things are looking reasonably good but not out of the woods yet. I wanted to wait until I had something more concrete to update with but realized it has been over a week and didn't want to keep anyone wondering how things are.

I think the biggest worry at this point is the headache/mental affect of the concussion.

The whole thing makes me think of the idea of welding a simple cage from the rollbar through to the loader uprights (non moving part of the loader frame). It would only take 4 or 6 long pieces of metal. The idea being a lightweight/simple/not-annoying-to-have-there way to stop a large falling item or a log rolling back across the loader arms (I move logs with bucket forks a lot). If it took a heavy impact it would be damaged, but would probably save the operator in that event so the repair wouldn't feel bad to have to do.

buckwheatpaul
02-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Andy, I am glad that your friend is improving. Head wounds are very hard to recover from and take time. At times it will erase information and at others the forgotten info will come back.

Father, please continue to improve the health of Andy's friend. Please take the headaches away and restore his memory unto him as well. Father, You are the great Healer and all is possible through You. Please guide the physicians and therapists that are working with this man and restore him mentally and physically. AMEN.

Teddy (punchie)
02-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Praying that thing improve for him.