PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
01-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.—John 18:10 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=1181504321&e=3dd732485b)In the flurry of activity in the Garden of Gethsemane, very few noticed the last miracle in the earthly ministry of Jesus. He healed the ear of Malchus, which Peter had cut off with a sword.

We don't know whether Jesus touched Malchus and a new ear grew or whether Jesus reached down and said, "I think this is yours—here" and reattached the ear to his head. I don't say this with irreverence; I simply don't know how Jesus healed him. Whatever the case, the high priest's servant got his ear back.

We don't read in any of the Gospels, however, that Malchus thanked the Lord. But it's interesting to note that the last miracle of Jesus was healing someone who had come to arrest Him. Jesus was still caring for individuals.

In the book of Philippians, we are told that Jesus emptied Himself. He "made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant" (2:7). But what did He empty Himself of? He certainly didn't lay aside His deity, but He did lay aside some of its privileges. And one of the privileges that would have been afforded Him would have been angelic deliverance. But Jesus would not take hold of that because of the necessity of paying the price for our sin.

We may all come to face Gethsemanes in our lives, if you will. For Jesus, Gethsemane was a time of difficulty, of hardship. It was a time when He had to surrender to the will of the Father, knowing that was the right thing to do. You may come to experiences in life that are similar, when you don't understand why God is allowing a certain thing. You don't know what's ahead. But you can trust your unknown future in the hands of a known God.

USMC87
01-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Amen, Great start of the day.

square butte
01-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Great message and study for this morning. I really appreciate your efforts rl69

Preacher Jim
01-24-2017, 02:01 PM
good lesson on the hardest thing we do loving an enemy

Blackwater
01-24-2017, 09:18 PM
"But it's interesting to note that the last miracle of Jesus was healing someone who had come to arrest Him. Jesus was still caring for individuals."

How symbolic this is of what Christ is STILL doing with us! In SPITE of our wayward willfulness, He STILL loves us, and tries with all His heart to get us to understand Him and the instruction and advice He left us with! How could he love such as we are? And yet, He does!!! What a wonderful, LOVING and just God we serve! Thank you Lord for all your love and grace and mercy you show us! Open our ears that we may hear, and our eyes so that we might see! We owe you SO much! All that we are and have came from Thee, and is Thine alone to do with as you please. Yet, you have seen fit to love us and protect us, and even to come down and suffer like no other has ever suffered, and all to save us from ourselves and our sins! All that we have and are, we owe to Thee. The only thing you have given us that is truly our own, is our free will, and that, we so typically use to do OUR foolish wills instead of serving you. And yet, you love us anyway! Thank you, Lord, more than words will ever be able to say, for all that you are, and all that you've given us. Forgive us, I pray, of our sins and willfulness. Open our eyes and unseal our ears, that we might know you, and thereby, learn to serve you more as we ought to. Amen.