PDA

View Full Version : Need some lever-gun search help

MakeMineA10mm
06-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm looking for a repro Win. 1866 in 44 Special. (Currently, only Cimmarron imports these, but I believe others have in the past.) It doesn't need to look purty, in fact, I'd prefer it to look used. Dings, scratches, etc., are not a hinderence. I'd also prefer a Carbine or Short Rifle, but at this point, i'd take a full-size (24" bbl) rifle too.

If no one has one of these, I wonder if you could keep your eyes peeled around your local haunts for me?

Thanks!

MakeMineA10mm
07-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Being the only reply to one's own thread has to be some kind of internet faux pas, but nonetheless, just wanted to tell those others who looked that I bought a NIB version.

When my dealer called Cimmaron, they said they had 8 SRCs in-stock and 1 non-SRC carbine. I didn't realize they made the non-SRC carbine and had him order that one since I'm making it into an Indian gun anyhow...

Already have the 44 Russian converted carrier/cartridge lifter and will soon be shooting repro 44 Henry CF rounds through it.

I took it out today and shot it in it's original caliber, just to make sure all was well. (It was.)

waksupi
07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
I was lookin', just not seein'! You were on my list for the gun show this weekend. Seems I generally am looking for more guns for others, than myself.

And I imagine this could have been missed, as most use the"today" feature to browse the board!

MakeMineA10mm
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks Rick. You're a Prince! I think I'm my own worst enemy sometimes... Not many of those 44 Spl. repros floating around out there... (If you find one and it's cheap - relatively speaking - still get contact info and shoot it to me in a PM, please!)

:drinks:

454PB
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Mine is a Navy Arms commemorative. I've shot it quite a bit, but it was really meant as a wall hanger. It's a 44/40:

http://www.fumpr.com/thumbs/viu1216953523j.jpg (http://www.fumpr.com/viewer.php?id=viu1216953523j.jpg)

MakeMineA10mm
07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
VERY nice! Did it come with the tack-work in the stock? That's very similar to the tack lay-out I'm planning... Still trying to decide if I want to stick to a border-design or border with a design in the field of the buttstock... (Seen both kinds on original Indian-owned yellowboys.)

I know mine will shoot 10x better once I get the tacks, feather, beadwork, and sinew wrap on it! :mrgreen:

454PB
07-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Yes, it came just like that. It's a commemorative of the Battle of Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand), made in 1976.

crabo
07-25-2008, 01:26 AM
VERY nice! Did it come with the tack-work in the stock? That's very similar to the tack lay-out I'm planning... Still trying to decide if I want to stick to a border-design or border with a design in the field of the buttstock... (Seen both kinds on original Indian-owned yellowboys.)

I know mine will shoot 10x better once I get the tacks, feather, beadwork, and sinew wrap on it! :mrgreen:

Check the beadwork in my post at the bottom of the page.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32879&page=2

MakeMineA10mm
07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
That's some beautiful stuff, crabo. How long ago did that story take place? I wonder how old that beadwork is. Like everything else, the older it is, usually the better quality.

I'll post some pics of my rifle when it's done. I wonder if anyone would like to see a step-by-step series of pics?

crabo
07-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, my mom is 82, and she was in nursing school, so I am guessing 60 years ago. She is still embarassed by the whole deal. I think it is a cool story and some great "heirlooms".

I will be building a shadowbox to put them in. I may need to add a couple of items like some
45/70s to the display.

I would like to see the step by step pictures.

DLCTEX
07-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Crabo: love that byline!

xr650
07-27-2008, 05:11 PM
That's some beautiful stuff, crabo. How long ago did that story take place? I wonder how old that beadwork is. Like everything else, the older it is, usually the better quality.

I'll post some pics of my rifle when it's done. I wonder if anyone would like to see a step-by-step series of pics?

Step By Steps are always an informative and interesting read.

EDK
07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I have wanted a CAS outfit with a pair of 1872 OPEN TOPS and an 1866 in 44 Colt or Russian, but am now considering a set of 44 Russian model Smith & Wesson replicas. Your set up on the rifle is interesting.

Thanks for any info you share.

:Fire::redneck::cbpour: