PDA

View Full Version : Canadian BSA 22rf target rifle

samari46
01-23-2017, 12:04 AM
Have the above rifle and since it has a really nice bore over the years I've bought a buttstock and forend to be fitted to the barreled action(which is how I bought it) The extractor was surface ground when it was being installed in the action. With the block down as far as it will go it makes no visible contact with the leg of the extractor to snap the empty case out of the chamber. Since I had also installed a cocking lever from a 12/15 I was curious about the firing pin ident. So with a couple of cartridges load ones and pulled the trigger. Couldn't get the empty out of the chamber. Used a cleaning rod to do that. There is about 1/8" of clearance between the lower leg of the extractor and the bottom of the breech block. I've seen one article in print where the owner laid down a large bead of welding and then shaped it with files to get the fit he wanted. I don't weld now know who in the area would do such a small job. So my plan B as one might call it would be to drill and tap the lower leg for a machine screw and file on the head of the screw to get good ejection. That I can do. After installing the screw I'd file away any of the screw on the underside on the extractor and possible polish it. Then with the screw installed file away what isn't needed and have the breech block correctly make contact with the screw head. Whoever installed the barrel did a good job and fit the extractor well. Only problem is it won't eject the empty. Thoughts or comments??. Frank

Artful
01-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Pictures please

Goatwhiskers
01-23-2017, 10:33 AM
A pic is always helpful, however I do have a modicum of experience w/Martinis and I think I can offer a solution to your extractor timing. Note that the thing must be operated "snappily" to achieve ejection. That said, the block must drop a bit to clear the empty before it contacts the ejector lever. I would NOT weld on the lever and don't think the screw idea is the best tho it will work. I would add a shim on top of the lever and file to get the correct timing. I would attach it with Brownells Hi-Force 44 solder-only 475 degrees needed. If you can't solder, I would use Brownells AcraGlas Gel, very strong and the only force applied to joint is vertical so would last forever. I once used the stuff to attach a barrel scope mount, later decided to solder the joint and thought I would never get it to turn loose. Hope this helps, better than trying to find another extractor. GW

samari46
01-23-2017, 11:44 PM
Sorry but electronically challenged and cannot do pics. With the block down as low as I can get it, there is at least a good 1/8" of clearance between the breech block and the part of the extractor where the block where it moves the ejector backwards to eject the empty. The top part has been surface ground to mate with the barrel and it was ground both front and back. As 22rf extractors are kinda unobtanium I only have one chance to get this right. Frank

Boz330
01-24-2017, 09:15 AM
This guy did some work for me; http://www.martinirifles.com/ He seems to have a supply of Martini parts and might have an extractor laying around. He does good work at fair prices and is easy to deal with. As far as I know he only does Martinis.

Bob

samari46
01-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Bob, checked the firing pin slot and had the short side down, reversed it and case does extract almost but not quite out of the chamber. And still shows space between the bottom of the breech block and lower extractor leg. Frank

gewehrfreund
01-25-2017, 09:37 AM
All of the small frame martinis will eject quite readily with a quick, firm downward stroke of the lever. That's how all of mine work, and how they were designed to, I assume.
If I opened any of mine slowly (like I would with a rifle that has an ejector), I'm sure they would all do what yours is doing (i.e. only partial extraction of the fired case)

Ballistics in Scotland
01-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Sorry but electronically challenged and cannot do pics. With the block down as low as I can get it, there is at least a good 1/8" of clearance between the breech block and the part of the extractor where the block where it moves the ejector backwards to eject the empty. The top part has been surface ground to mate with the barrel and it was ground both front and back. As 22rf extractors are kinda unobtanium I only have one chance to get this right. Frank

I'm not sure whether you mean the original Cadet-style small Martini, or a Martini-International. Either way this is an odd problem, and sounds like substitute parts rather than just modified ones. It is a long time since I fired the latter and saw its internals, but I think it has an exclusively spring-powered kicking extractor rather than one in which the hand lever acts on the case rim.

With either of them one possibility is that besides pressing backwards on the rim, the extractor is too tall, and is binding on the bottom of the case body.

samari46
01-25-2017, 11:39 PM
It's a BSA 12/15 Canadian marked with 25" heavy barrel. All serial numbers match except for the extractor. Wish I could do pics would make things much easier to explain. Extractor was surface ground to fit the gap between breech block and barrel. From what I can see when I have the trigger group out of the action, the breech block is not making any contact with the lower leg of the extractor. Frank

Ballistics in Scotland
01-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Ah, now I understand better. I thought you meant no contact before the block was fully down.

The Martini extractor should contact the block twice. The fist contact, giving slow but powerful movement, should be with the rear end of the extractor leg. Then the shape of the extractor close to its pivot should be such that the lower front corner of the block contacts it after the grip of chamber to case is broken, moving it with less leverage but much greater speed.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-26-2017, 09:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/BSA%2012-15B_zpsdaxklicu.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/BSA%2012-15B_zpsdaxklicu.jpg.html)

samari46
01-27-2017, 12:38 AM
With the breech block in the fully down position there is no contact with the lower leg of the ejector. Put a few rounds down the tube yesterday to check where the firing pin was striking the rim and at least that part is working out. I'll get this working one way or another as it already has been d&t for target scope bases. And has a really nice heavy barrel on it. Found the forend with the attachment screw but will need a little work as the back end needs to be trued up. one side touches the receiver and the other does not. I did get a very nice buttstock from the gun shop in port royal just have to make up a stock bolt as the barreled action did not come with one. Hey at least it keeps me occupied. Frank