PDA

View Full Version : Style points?

PtMD989
01-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Alone time gotta love it. I finally got time for melting my lead pipe. (Thanks fiverunfive for the guidance) My plan was to make some ingots but I put my Lee REAL mold into play. I was having fun melting metal. Most of my boolits didn't fill out full and sharp but I got some experience. It was a good learning experience. 185887185888

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989
01-22-2017, 10:43 PM
The bunny mold I got for $.59 at Goodwill. They way in at 5# each the one on the far right is only 2#. Had a fun time.

DerekP Houston
01-22-2017, 11:44 PM
sounds like you had fun! Just need to get that mold hotter next time for better fill out and we have another one hooked ;).

PtMD989
01-23-2017, 08:34 AM
It is fun! If the boolits don't turn out nice, back to the pot with them. You don't really waste material.

Walter Laich
01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
I've gotten lead in the mail in the shape of pumpkins, pie wedges, Christmas trees and such.

Great thing is the all melt in the pot

Enjoy your casting experiences

PtMD989
01-23-2017, 11:37 AM
I got my mould from the Goodwill store. I didn't want to pay $2.59 for cupcake pan. I got this bunny pan for $.59.

runfiverun
01-23-2017, 01:00 PM
they probably don't stack too well.:lol:

I had a bunch of different sized fish ingots there for a while.
I finally melted them down because everyone that seen them wanted one of the cute little fishes.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Saw a ginger bread man ingot mold the other day, but they wanted $4 for it, so I passed...

Blackwater
01-23-2017, 03:36 PM
I bet besides having fun, you LEARNED something new, too! That's good, and I'm betting in no time, when you've learned and experienced how to control mold and metal temp, you'll be turning out as pristine a bunch of bullets as anyone here. It's not rocket science, but there IS a bit of a learning curve to it, and experience is really the only way to learn. Verbal tips help, but only when you've had some hands-on experience does it really sink in, and truly "make sense." It's good to see someone starting out as good as this, and who is actually putting the advice to use, and profiting thereby.

Geezer in NH
01-23-2017, 04:08 PM
I love the bunny molds!!!

Great ingots to cast for bunny bullets to hunt the last part of the season before Easter.

I can see the anti's jumping on them as though you made them for the kids however anything that jabs them is great.

Try heating your mold more and they should start filling nice and sharp.

PtMD989
01-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replys. My daughter likes the bunny molds also. She picked up an ingot this morning said they're heavy. She wants me to make some heart shaped lead. Little kids.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-23-2017, 06:33 PM
those boollitss really don't look bad to me, pretty good for a newbie, :kidding:lol welcome to the site!

Mk42gunner
01-23-2017, 06:57 PM
those boollitss really don't look bad to me, pretty good for a newbie, :kidding:lol welcome to the site!
I have to admit the first Lee REAL boolits I cast didn't look anywhere near that good.

It is fun! If the boolits don't turn out nice, back to the pot with them. You don't really waste material.
See, you have already learned one of the most important rules of casting-- If it doesn't look right, cast it again.

Robert