PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a stock

alamogunr
06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Sometime back I acquired a Marlin 336 that has fantastic grain in the wood. The problem is that it also has a very slick, shiny finish. Looks almost like a clear plastic coating. If I can get up enough courage, I would like to remove that finish and apply an oil finish. I am assuming that the grain is in the wood and would survive any removal of the coating. Does anyone know where I can find some instructions on how to go about this?

Mic McPherson had an article in Precision Shooting about a Marlin that has this same condition and mentioned maybe refinishing it but did not offer any details. That gave me the idea that maybe I could improve this one.

No_1
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Talk with "Ben" on here. He is the MASTER!

R

buckndee
06-27-2008, 06:10 PM
You my want to try deglossing the finish with 0000 size steel wool first. I have done several high gloss stocks that way. Shows the color and grain of the wood, no open wood pores and a soft luster smooth finish. Uses the 0000 steel wool first then finish with an automotive rubbing compound/wax.

hpdrifter
06-27-2008, 07:29 PM
"Riflesmithing" describes a process used by Sterling Davenport that is dynomite. It'll leave a nice oil finish in a minimum of steps; about 4 maybe 5 coats with wet sanding inbetween.

All in all, one of the nicest and easiest that I've ever used.

If you'e interested I could do a rough outline.

alamogunr
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Drifter. Right now I'm torn between doing it myself, letting Ben do it (I went to his web site) or leaving it as is. If it is not too much trouble, do the outline or direct me to a site that gives me an idea of what is involved. The problem with letting someone else do it, there isn't much satisfaction and I've got more time than $$.
John
W.TN

Ben
06-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm here if you can use my services :

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Gunstock%20Finishing%20Photos/PICT0002.jpg

Denver
06-27-2008, 09:26 PM
If you decide to do the refinish yourself, I'd recommend a stripper I found at Walmart called "Dads Easy Spray". I've used it on several stocks and it's the easiest to use I've ever tried.
I'm amazed sometimes at the quality of the wood Marlin used on these rifles. I've got a couple 336s that have great looking wood. One has a light colored wood with almost black streaks through it. Gonna look real nice with the new reblue I just finished.

:Fire::castmine:

alamogunr
06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Ben. It may take me awhile to decide what to do. The pictures of your work make me wonder if my stock is as great as I thought. I may try the 0000 steel wool route and if that doesn't turn out well, send it to you.

alamogunr
06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
If you decide to do the refinish yourself, I'd recommend a stripper I found at Walmart called "Dads Easy Spray". I've used it on several stocks and it's the easiest to use I've ever tried.
I'm amazed sometimes at the quality of the wood Marlin used on these rifles. I've got a couple 336s that have great looking wood. One has a light colored wood with almost black streaks through it. Gonna look real nice with the new reblue I just finished.

I was typing my reply to Ben when you posted. I envy you folks that can do all this good stuff like bluing, stock refinishing, etc. I'll look into the stripper.

I've been looking for a plain jane 336 for some time now. I thought I would get my feet wet on a plain stock, but so far haven't found one. I guess that the Remington buy-out has everyone hanging on to the Marlins or bidding up the prices.

Castoff
06-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Wood finishing is, or can be, a fun past time.
If , however, you want a first class job, done right, and a world class looking stock, sent it to Ben.
He will work with you to give you as much or as little as you want, but in any case you will end up with a stock that is second to none. Did I say NONE !
Ben does not do slip shod work for any one.
Believe me when say you can pay a lot more, but no one can do better, and most will do a whole lot lesser of a job.
There are a bunch of world class shooters across America who have Ben Hays stocks on their record setting rifles /shotguns.

hpdrifter
06-28-2008, 05:22 AM
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=39951

If this link doesn't work try ShooterForum.com. it's a "BearTooth Bullet" run forum.

Gunsmithing section......Stock Refinishing. Post #6 ...faucettb.

I believe it is also a Brownells article in the Tips Section.

ebner glocken
06-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Personally I like the linseed oil look if the wood grain is pretty. Cheap and easy to apply, just takes a few days to do it right.

Ebner

Ben
06-28-2008, 07:27 AM
alamogunr :

Use your own methods if you'd like, it is possible for the 1st time finisher if they have a good solid plan to be able to come up with a nice finish on their wood.

Castoff:

Your generous with your remarks, I hope that I'm worthy of 5% of what you've said. Many thanks ! !

Ben

Newtire
06-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I am going to stick by the "Lemon Meringue" finish I found in the 1981 Gun Digest article. I used this finish on a number of stocks and have had nothing but great success.
Here's the link with the info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12983&highlight=lemon