PDA

View Full Version : Bi Pod selection advice plz.

PB234
01-21-2017, 02:47 PM
I am new to bi pods and ask for advice. Mostly shooting from a bench and attaching to a sling stud rather than a rail. The Harris products look good to my uneducated eye which would benefit from others experiences here. Which one would you all suggest selecting? I would rather buy a good product one time than end up buying improvements/replacement to an unsatisfactory product bought to save a few dollars. Buy quality and cry one time at the purchase price or buy junk and cry every time you use it has been my experience. Thanks for sharing ideas and knowledge.

Rick Hodges
01-21-2017, 02:57 PM
I have a Harris bi-pod and another clone. (versi-pod???) both are for sitting position and a bit high for a bench. I don't like either for my purposes when hunting. They are heavy, noisy and not as adaptable nor steady as my home made cross sticks. I would much rather use sand bags and or adjustable rifle rests for bench work.

PB234
01-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks Rick, found an older thread where folks recommend the HBRMS Harris Bipod, but maybe I should stay with an adjustable rest and save the $,

tazman
01-21-2017, 03:55 PM
I am using 6-9 inch bipod from the bench and love it. I use bag under the butt. I only have the bipods on target and varmint rifles. My hunting rifles stay unencumbered.

Ithaca Gunner
01-21-2017, 04:23 PM
I use a Harris S model, (swivel model) on my varminters for groundhogs and love it for that purpose. I've had non S models and didn't like them.

M-Tecs
01-21-2017, 05:56 PM
For solely bench shooting a good adjustable front rest will server you best. If you are shooting off of multiple surfaces the Harris swivel notch leg bipods are awesome. All my prairie dog, coyote and tactical type rifles have them.

The Versa-pod is a clone of Parker Hale. I don't care for them.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/01/05/bipod/

rda72927
01-21-2017, 06:04 PM
This is a great one for the price (on sale). My brother and I use this one for F-Class TR. Works great from a bench.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/bipods-monopods-amp-accessories/bipods/f-class-bipod-sling-swivel-mount-non-elevation-knob-prod87342.aspx

HollowPoint
01-23-2017, 10:51 AM
I bought a cheap $15.00 Harris bipod clone off of ebay in both the 6"to 9" models and the 9" to 12" models and both work great for the type of shooting I do. They're chinese made and both are adjustable. For bench work when working up loads the 6 to 9 inch model is a dream. It holds rock solid.

I wanted to get a Harris cause I've owned one before and I really like them. But since I'm chronically cheap, comparing the price differences made me go with the cheaper models. So far I haven't been disappointed.

HollowPoint

ole 5 hole group
01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Depending upon your pocketbook and "needs" - look at the Atlas bipod. Many years ago, I had a couple Harris bi-pods and they were OK but I just never "warmed" up to them. I've been running with the Atlas the last few years and I'm very satisfied - broke but satisfied.:wink:

Texas by God
01-25-2017, 05:24 PM
I would hate to hunt Pronghorn or Prairie Dogs on foot without my long model Harris bipod. I'm 6'2" and I can scrunch down enough to shoot steady over the grass out to 400 yds. I've owned mine for thirty five years so yes I recommend Harris. I got a Caldwell in a trade and gave it away. I've used the bench model Harris and it's great but I still like sand bags for the bench -even though I have a lead sled and a MTM Predator Rest. Best, Thomas.

flyingrhino
01-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Harris is too rich for my blood. I've found UTG bipods to be of excellent quality and extremely affordable. I've got 7 or 8 of them for different rifles.

Shawlerbrook
01-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Harris has been the pinnacle since I was a kid and I'm almost 60.

Shiloh
02-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Harris.

Shiloh

RG1911
02-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Harris swivel 6-9-inch bipod with the notched legs. I use these on my rifles when shooting prone during our precision field matches, and off the bench. I use a good bag under the butt. These work beautifully and I now often use them instead of my benchrest front rest.

I've examined the Atlas and watched it being used, and it is absolutely beautiful. Fit, finish, capabilities, and so on. I just wish I could afford one.

Cheers,
Richard