PDA

View Full Version : At our club range

waksupi
01-21-2017, 12:24 PM
This was last weekend. Only 15 degrees, so I stayed home by the stove. I had a bad case of analmyopia. I couldn't see my *** at the range when it was that cold!

https://youtu.be/Rn8y6SjBun4

Freightman
01-21-2017, 01:00 PM
to cold for a Texas boy. Sure looks fun, I like the red coat looks like a trapper convention from the early 1800's. COOL

telebasher
01-21-2017, 01:33 PM
to cold for a Texas boy. Sure looks fun, I like the red coat looks like a trapper convention from the early 1800's. COOL

It's called a Capote.

Fly
01-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Brings back many memories when I belonged to a group as such. But never in the cold as you guys have.

Fly

SSGOldfart
01-21-2017, 02:45 PM
When it's that cold staying by the stove gets my vote, loading in that kind of weather just shows why a false muzzle works better to save your fingers starting the ball.

rfd
01-21-2017, 04:24 PM
love this one and the previous "revenant montana" video, too. well done, but just not long enuf :) ... good stoke for when the weather breaks and we can all go out and shoot. who's working the vid cam, is that denny?

waksupi
01-21-2017, 04:33 PM
love this one and the previous "revenant montana" video, too. well done, but just not long enuf :) ... good stoke for when the weather breaks and we can all go out and shoot. who's working the vid cam, is that denny?

Yes, he does a nice job of it.

rfd
01-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Yes, he does a nice job of it.

not nice, more like excellent! he should make a full length feature - heck, i'd buy a copy!

OverMax
01-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Video~~ Always good to target shoot with Brethren. ANYTIME!! ANYWHERE!! ~~~within reason.

Maven
01-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Enjoyed that Denny Ducet video on another site. Don't know how I'd manage to keep my hands & face from freezing in those temps., though.

Teddy (punchie)
01-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Looks like they all had a great time and fun. Darn muzzle loaders will make you a better shot. Flint locks are fun too shoot. Missed out one our season, darn hip pain. Thanks !! For sharing !! They did a great job!!

Eddie17
01-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Thank you, enjoyed watching!

mooman76
01-21-2017, 08:51 PM
What?15 ain't cold!:kidding:

MUSTANG
01-21-2017, 10:39 PM
What?15 ain't cold!:kidding:

Mooman76;

You must spend your days in one of those refrigerated warehouses/beverage distribution centers in N. Las Vegas.

missionary5155
01-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Greetings
Thank you for posting this fine video ! Sure would be a good day !
Mike in Peru

mooman76
01-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Mooman76;

You must spend your days in one of those refrigerated warehouses/beverage distribution centers in N. Las Vegas.

No just wasn't always living here. I usually lived in much colder places but I work on a roof out in the weather for 8hrs a day. It's at the base of the mountains so it does get pretty cold believe it or not. Not Montana cold but with the wind it can feel pretty cold.

Omnivore
01-22-2017, 04:02 PM
You get used to the cold very quickly, so long as you're not standing around whining to yourself about it. My nephew and I went out a couple weekends ago and it was 17*F with a breeze. We were perfectly comfortable so long as we kept moving from shooting position to target and back. A little bit of physical activity, and you may even be opening up your coat and taking off your hat to cool off.

You get so you LIKE the cool weather. You can DO things without getting overheated, and as a bonus there are NO BUGS, and you don't have to worry about the fire hazards of blackowder. Also we have more free time in winter because the lawn doesn't need mowed, nor the garden tended. Remember all that next time you're out sweating in the heat, swatting mosquitoes, and picking tics off yourself, or staying home due to fire danger.

GARD72977
01-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Great video. I have a new Soddy-Daisy gun coming soon. Really makes me want it sooner!

Toymaker
01-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Ok, waksupi. Been cold enough a frizzen wouldn't spark? Wiping patches freeze half way down the bore? Lead roundball freeze to your fingers? Seen that twice. Last time was February 2015. Temperatures hung around 7°F but the wind chill was -19°F.
And this was in balmy Virginia, just outside of Washington, DC where the political hot air didn't help.

Then there was the time we had to dig shooting lanes to the targets in Minot, ND.

waksupi
01-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Ok, waksupi. Been cold enough a frizzen wouldn't spark? Wiping patches freeze half way down the bore? Lead roundball freeze to your fingers? Seen that twice. Last time was February 2015. Temperatures hung around 7°F but the wind chill was -19°F.
And this was in balmy Virginia, just outside of Washington, DC where the political hot air didn't help.

Then there was the time we had to dig shooting lanes to the targets in Minot, ND.

I have seen it where the sparks weren't real energetic. I use Moose Milk made with winter blend windshield washer fluid, to prevent freezing. Something like Bore Butter puts you out of the game after one or two shots. Never had a ball freeze to my fingers!

BPJONES
01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Enjoyable video!

Geezer in NH
01-23-2017, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi;3919703]This was last weekend. Only 15 degrees, so I stayed home by the stove. I had a bad case of analmyopia. I couldn't see my *** at the range when it was that cold!
QUOTE]

Getting OLD huh? :kidding:

Little snow and did not need snowshoes is just a fall shoot in northern New England. :kidding:

Looks like a good time had by all.

waksupi
01-24-2017, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi;3919703]This was last weekend. Only 15 degrees, so I stayed home by the stove. I had a bad case of analmyopia. I couldn't see my *** at the range when it was that cold!
QUOTE]

Getting OLD huh? :kidding:

Little snow and did not need snowshoes is just a fall shoot in northern New England. :kidding:

Looks like a good time had by all.

Well, the doc has been trying to raise my heart rate, not much circulation in my feet. They do get cold fast!

joatmon
01-26-2017, 02:30 AM
Only saw one pair of glasses and having never fired a flint lock I was wondering, does'nt the pan flash get in your eyes?
Thanks Aaron

rfd
01-26-2017, 06:29 AM
it's smart to wear eye protection when messing with all firearms.

here's one reason why that pertains specifically to flintlocks ...

http://i.imgur.com/0Kxk1N3.jpg

waksupi
01-26-2017, 11:38 AM
it's smart to wear eye protection when messing with all firearms.

here's one reason why that pertains specifically to flintlocks ...

http://i.imgur.com/0Kxk1N3.jpg

Yes, it is always a good idea to wear eye protection. However, I find a percussion cap is much more likely to blow back fragments, than the flints.

KCSO
01-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Darn wish I were there! On the flinter shooting had a fellow tell me one time if you see the flame from the muzzle you hit what you were pointed at! My father in law said it best though... First time he shot a flinter he hit a 10X I asked if the flash bothered him...he said flash heck I was watching the SIGHTS.