PDA

View Full Version : pro melt going haywire...

ROCKET
01-20-2017, 06:22 PM
My used rcbs prompt which I got a little while ago is turning bright red regardless of the temp setting. I set my temp to 800 on the dial when I turn it on and then down to 750 after lead melts....

I get clay/dirt floating on to after a while... ( I got some lead from one of the members here on the forum ) This happens after about 1/2 hour of being on..when I add more lead the reddish goes away for a while but it returns after 15 - 20 min... is this normal ?

Mike W1
01-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Looks odd to say the least. If you don't have a thermometer I'd suggest you get one first. Those pot dials are NOT thermostats in that they don't actually monitor the lead temperature but the air temperature near the pot somewhere. But my guess is your "thermostat" is shot.

Walter Laich
01-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Is this your first melt in this new-to-you pot?

You could empty it and try a batch of lead from a different source

agree a thermometer is a must to trouble shoot this; I always use one in all my casting

curator
01-20-2017, 11:15 PM
You don't want to breath the fumes given off if your lead melt glows red! This is usually an indicator of temperatures in the 1150-1200 range and lead does give off toxic fumes at this heat. Get a lead thermometer of a P.I.D device to regulate your temperature using a thermocouple.

Butchman205
01-21-2017, 12:22 AM
You're definitely over 1000° F when it's glowing red...and as already stated, lead puts off the bad fumes at that level. That sucker will screw you up man, you need to get a lead thermometer or back it down a bunch for sure.

-Butchman

ROCKET
01-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys. I was wearing a mask and had the melter by a window with a fan blowing toward the window... I'll call Rcbs Monday

runfiverun
01-21-2017, 02:51 AM
the dials are suggestions.
some of them you can pull off and move to get them pretty close.

Purple is a new color on me.
I have seen yellow/orange dust.
gold on top.
a metallic blue color.
yellow/blue and some purplish colors swirling on top of the melt.
black dirt.
blue ingots.
grey bubbly foamy stuff.
and even silver oatmeal.
but never purple dust.

you had to have had that alloy smoking hot.

6bg6ga
01-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Get a new control. Scrape out the **** floating and throw it away.

Phlier
01-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Perfect chance to put a PID on it. Let the PID take care of pot temp for you, and do it far more accurately than what a new thermostat on your pot could. Another upside is that since your pot is always running full tilt, you can add the PID to it right now, and not have to worry about getting it fixed first.

Butchman205
01-22-2017, 01:41 AM
If'n you want to sell it...I'd like to take it off your hands.

I'm looking to buy one anyway...if you'd consider selling it.

-Butchman

Lloyd Smale
01-22-2017, 05:54 AM
I would guess theres more of a chance your lead is contaminated with something then your pot is running to hot. Ive never even saw red like that when smelting on a turkey fryer probably at temps higher then your pot would get running wide open.

BK7saum
01-22-2017, 10:31 AM
What alloy are you using. Pure lead when heated too hot will give you purple and other hues/colors. But it sounds like your temp control is bad

mold maker
01-22-2017, 11:50 AM
It appears your pictures are of a hot pot in the dark. Not to be confused with pictures of reflected light as in daylight. High % lead will always have a colorful surface when heated much above the melting point. They range from deep purple to yellow/golden. That is a thin coating of oxide and the color is determined by the almost transparent thickness.
Getting control of the temp will solve it.

ROCKET
01-24-2017, 02:11 AM
If'n you want to sell it...I'd like to take it off your hands.

I'm looking to buy one anyway...if you'd consider selling it.

-Butchman

Im going to hang on to it for another 20 - 30 years ( god willing ;) )

Krieger82
02-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Purple hot, thats a new one....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Smoke4320
02-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Purple hot, thats a new one....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Long time spank monkey, no happy ending for you Joe