PDA

View Full Version : .452 185 gn. HP mold needed...

greyswindir
06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can buy a 185 grain hollow point bullet mold for the .45 ACP? I know Lyman makes one but it is 180 gn. and the ogive is rounded. I'm looking for the strait-walled ogive.

This is a common style used for Bullseye shooting.

Thanks.

ChuckS1
06-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Ballisti-Cast has a 175gr that looks like a H&G 68, but it's not an HP...

Glen
06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Nobody sells such a mould. Buy a standard mould and have it converted to HP.

Is there a reason that you don't like the Lyman 452374 HP?

greyswindir
06-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Have a standard mold converted to Hp? Never heard of that being done...How do you go about getting it converted to HP?

I'm thinking about the Lyman 180 grain HP but wanted a straight walled ogive verses the rounded ogive that the Lyman HP has. I gave this reason in the original post.

It's not that I don't like the Lyman (I haven't fired a Lyman 180 gn. HP before so I can't accurately say whether or not I will like it) I'm just looking for 185 grains, and I'm looking for a specific ogive style which is common in Bullseye shooting circles.

The Lyman doesn't meet the criteria, in the strictest sense, though it is close. I'll probably wind up getting the Lyman, unless I can get a mold converted that is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks.

ChuckS1
06-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Call Ballisti-Cast. I bet they could do it for you.

Glen
06-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Here is a Lyman 452460 200 grain SWC that I converted to drop HP bullets. The HP weighs about 185 grains or so, and it shoots quite nicely. There are a couple of guys on this board that do very good work converting moulds to drop HP bullets, and will do this for a very reasonable fee.

greyswindir
06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Wow!

Thanks Glen.

I have the Lyman 200 grain SWC mold, double cavity. Could I get the double cavity converted or is the HP modification only possible with a single cavity mold?

Thanks Glen, thanks Chuck.

-Grey.

GabbyM
06-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Midsouth Shooters has the Lyman #452374 Devastator HP in 180gr. They are low cost on Lymans but I'd imagine most other vendors carry it too.
You can have the Devastator in 38/9mm and 44 caliber also.

Glen
06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, you can have a 2-cavity mould converted as well. Generally when people do this they only convert one of the cavities, but it is possible to do it on both of them as well.

greyswindir
06-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Excellent!

Thank you Glen...Now, do you know anyone on this forum who would be willing to convert my existing mold for a fee? I have sent one private message already to one of the forum members. I read that more than one member on the forum does the conversions, is that correct?

Thanks everyone.

Glen
06-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Buckshot has done several moulds for folks on this forum (I think there are a few others that can do this also). I have seen photos of Buckshot's work, and it looks to be first rate. People sure do have good things to say about the quality of the work he turns out. I don't know what he charges for this service.

greyswindir
06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Okay Glen,

Buckshot it is (and that is who I sent my original pm too!:-D)

Thank you for all of your help Glen, same goes for everyone else, thanks.

ANeat
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
The 185 HP bullets you see in Bullseye shooting were swaged, more than likely Star bullets of Indianapolis. There were very popular but the gentleman retired and stopped making them.

I know Precision Delta and Zero were going to be making a "copy" but I havent heard anyone bragging on them yet.

I was shooting the Star 185 HP but switched to a H&G 68 Ballisti-Cast mold and started casting mine.

It may get tough trying to cast HP bullets in enough volume to keep up with a Bullseye shooter,

Ill be curious to see how you like them HP's and if they shoot good at 50 yards.

Glens converted Lyman sure looks good

I casted about 110 lbs of the Ballisti-Cast 68's over the weekend. Hopefully they will last me thru the summer.

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=172

Echo
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Hmmm... @ 200 grs each, about 35 per pound, so about 3850 boolits! Hmmm... About 2+ pounds of powder... and $75 dollars worth of primers...

Carrumba! And you only have a couple of months left... Man! That's a LOT of shooting, in a short time. The cash register will be ringing! But think how much it would be ringing if you were using J-word balls.

Reminds me of a chum who has a boat. He says he gets ready for the boating season by putting on a raincoat and standing in the shower tearing up 20 dollar bills. "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into."

greyswindir
07-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Aneat,

I've heard lots of good things about the Star bullets and heard that the guy retired also. I thought the Lyman 452630 was a good copy...either way I get great accuracy shooting with it. I also have a Hensley & Gibbs #78 that I like more than the #68, it is shorter with two lube grooves and has more bearing surface, so technically it should be more accurate. Most of the weight is towards the rear of the bullet verses the front.

I'm learning that volume doesn't compare to the quality of shots made. I used to shoot 500 rounds per training session at the range, now I rarely shoot over 300 and generally shoot around 250 rounds per trip. I do a good amount of dry fire training and I also practice indoor slow fire with a vintage Crosman Mark II Target pistol.

I have confidence in Glen's skills and I really love the idea of an adjustable cavity pin...that way I can experiment with the HP cavity and overall bullet weight. I'm working this week so I can send him my mold (masonry work---hard work in this summer heat. It is kicking my butt!) Hopefully is will be a great bullet for 50 yard shooting.

ANeat
07-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Well Im certainly curious to see how your results turn out. I know when I first seen the Star bullets I was pretty skeptical; but shooting is believing.

Several shooters at the matches around SW Ohio have been shooting a 160gr H&G S242. Ballisti-Cast S842. They have to push it at a higher velocity but there getting good scores.

Ive recently ordered a 842 185 mold myself from Ballisti-Cast. I guess were allways looking.

Do you have a Ransom rest? If not I can Ransom Rest a few of the HP bullets when you get them ready.

I can swap you some of what Im shooting for you to try.

greyswindir
07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi ANeat,

I have no problem forwarding a few bullets (maybe 50?) and it would be nice to try another, lighter bullet in return. I wish I had a Ransom rest, sure would take some of the guess work out of my pistols. I have no idea what they will do @ 50 yards. I built my own BE guns...one off of a Kimber Gold Match and the other off of a Springfield G.I..

Since we're working a commercial job I won't be getting paid until next Friday. I plan to contact Glen when I have cash in hand. We'll go from there.

Talk to you soon.