PDA

View Full Version : Looking for custom ingot moulds

stillhere
01-20-2017, 12:14 PM
I had seen some threads about past group buys of the 'Cast Boolits' ingot moulds but those don't appear to be active.
Anybody know someone here on the forum that makes something like that?

Smoke4320
01-20-2017, 12:28 PM
NOE Molds ... sales ingot molds .. Not custom but good ingot molds
haven't seen the castboolit molds offered in some time

762sultan
01-20-2017, 12:33 PM
NOE moulds make 3 sizes of moulds. A large mould about 4#, a 2# with 2 cavity's and a 1# with 4 cavity's. Also they were made by a forum member and were 2# with 2 cavity's. They had a CastBoolit design that imprinted the logo on the ingot. I found his name: Dave Brandon...forum name is Beone...email is beone334@gmail.com. If you click on my name...762sultan... and go to my profile I have pictures of his mold .If I knew how to transfer those to this post it would make it easier but I am not a computer wizard

Tatume
01-20-2017, 12:41 PM
You can go to a local metal shop and have them make ingot molds. Cut sections of 2" angle steel to the length you wish, and weld flat plates to the ends. Make the ends rectangular, that way the molds will not tip on a flat surface. Make one end long, so you have a handle to use when dumping the ingot. Weld on the outside only, so your ingots will not stick in the mold.

For example, if you wish to sell alloy, make the molds the same length as the interior of a USPS small flat rate box. The ingots will stack inside and allow you to pack about 25 pounds per box.

Springfield
01-20-2017, 12:53 PM
The Cast Boolit moulds made by Beone were 4 cavity 2+ lb ingots. They had cast in designations WW, PB, Lino, other. Also A,B,C,D,E. They worked pretty well, but IMHO could have used a little more draft for easier dumping. They did fit a SFRB very well if you were shipping lead.

Loudy13
01-20-2017, 01:31 PM
I am having some made over the next week or so, I am having some smaller but longer ones made to make it easier to put into a pot full of lead. Probably 1/2 channel X 6" I will post pictures when I they are complete.

runfiverun
01-20-2017, 03:19 PM
there was a different run before the one Springfield speaks of. [I think Blammer run that one]
CNC cut aluminum with the logo cut in the bottom.
and 4-1lb ingots per block.

your best bet would be to talk to AL at NOE, he will take on different projects and add them to his line-up from time to time.

308Jeff
01-20-2017, 03:25 PM
On larger mold sizes, say 4+ pounds, how are y'all transferring the lead from the pot to the mold? I melted and poured 90lbs of roofing lead last night. The mini-loaf pan I used has just the right sized cavities for the ladle I was using, and they came out to about 3lb ingots. Not sure how you'd be able to transfer much more than that from a pot to a mold without using multiple ladles full?

Tatume
01-20-2017, 03:36 PM
My wok came with a spatula and a ladle, and I found the ladle is perfect for casting ingots. Naturally I do not use it for food anymore.

TexasGrunt
01-20-2017, 07:06 PM
On larger mold sizes, say 4+ pounds, how are y'all transferring the lead from the pot to the mold? I melted and poured 90lbs of roofing lead last night. The mini-loaf pan I used has just the right sized cavities for the ladle I was using, and they came out to about 3lb ingots. Not sure how you'd be able to transfer much more than that from a pot to a mold without using multiple ladles full?

Bigger ladle? Rowell makes them that will handle up to 40 lbs. I want to pick up a #3 as it holds 4 lbs. That's enough to fill my mini loaf pan with one pour.

Andy
01-20-2017, 07:23 PM
If you make angle iron molds that will fit a 50 cal ammo can width (minus 1/2" to get your finger on them in there) they will also work absolutely perfect in a lee 4-20 pot. If you fill it full of them they will stick out the top an inch or two and once they melt will give you an almost perfect max pot when the airspace is taken up.

As for lifting a 50 cal ammo can full of lead, well that didn't work out so well, but the ingots fit it great.

BK7saum
01-20-2017, 10:28 PM

I can transfer up to 500 lbs at a time. Just need an ingot mold that big. Seriously, my smelting pot is a bottom pour that will hold 500+lbs, I think, if it was completely full. I pour 8 lb ingots in 3" C-channel molds 6" long. Pretty easy to empty the pot that way.

308Jeff
01-20-2017, 10:38 PM
I can transfer up to 500 lbs at a time. Just need an ingot mold that big. Serioudly, my smelting pot is a bottom pout that will hold 500+lbs, I think, if it was completely full. I pour 8 lb ingots in 3" C-channel molds 6" long. Pretty easy to empty the pot that way.

Seriously impressive. Would love to see a picture of that pot!

BK7saum
01-20-2017, 11:20 PM
Hijack removed. Went a bit off topic

stillhere
01-21-2017, 10:28 AM
So, NOE is the only one known to be making nice ingot moulds?

Walstr
01-21-2017, 02:32 PM
I am having some made over the next week or so, I am having some smaller but longer ones made to make it easier to put into a pot full of lead. Probably 1/2 channel X 6" I will post pictures when I they are complete.

Yea, that's kinda what I did. I sized mine to yield ingots that fit nicely between garage studs. They're out of the way & still easy to access. I use large metal stamps to ID them as SWW or CWW or LEAD, etc.

Hmmm, can't load my .jpg...