PDA

View Full Version : Swiss still the go to powder?

sac
01-20-2017, 11:03 AM
I haven't shot my Sharps in about ten years since we lost our NCOWS range at Ackley Ia.
I found a place in Il. that has buffalo shoots now so thought I would start shooting it again. So was wondering if Swiss was still the go to powder?

Thanks Scott

Don McDowell
01-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Swiss still has a large following. Goex has the Olde Eynsford powder that is quite good as well, and leaves a fouling that is a bit easier to deal with.

John in PA
01-21-2017, 06:36 PM
The N-SSA (I believe) burns more black powder than any organization in the USA. Many top shooters using Swiss and Old Eynesford,in many types of firearms, both muzzle and breech loading. Primary reasons are decreased fouling, more consistent velocities.

rfd
01-21-2017, 07:03 PM
i think it's hard to argue against swiss 1-1/2f for bpcr/bptr cartridge rifles when you read the shooting gear of event/match winners around the country, if not world.

Old-Win
01-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Scott, I used to shoot at the Ackley range and really miss it. I wonder every now and then as to what happened with all the Iowa shooters after the range closed. A fellow from north central Iowa bought the silhouette targets and tries to have 3 matches a year. He's about 60 miles south of spirit Lake.

sac
01-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Old-Win,
The only ones I see anymore are Dave Williams, Steve Ehilers and John Miller. I hear Steve Witt and Blaine Miller are still around spending a lot of time with grand kids.
After Cedar Valley Regulators lost the range a lot of people lost interest.

BrentD
01-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Swiss still rules the world, and by a very hefty margin.

I sure do miss Ackley. I have about 150 rounds loaded and labeled specifically for that event. Just waiting for it to return...

Come on up to Lodi WI and join us for mid and long range matches.

Lead pot
01-22-2017, 10:59 AM
A large part of the Ackley herd is getting shot at now is at Milan Illinois now.

sac
01-22-2017, 11:29 AM
I just heard about Milan, and that's why I'm breaking out the sharps.

Chill Wills
01-22-2017, 11:51 AM

Brent, you KEEP telling everyone! Shhhhhh. I might have to shoot against them some time!

Lead pot
01-22-2017, 01:13 PM
:) I got a mixed case of 2F and 1.5F Swiss last season. It was the first I got in the past 15 years or so to give it a shot again. I will say that it shot well but at the Q and Montana 1000 I had some issues using it, so I switched using it between relays.
At the MT 1000 during the practice I had a problem keeping swiss on with just 50% or less hits. The OE during practice shot better. This was using the Danielson prolate in the .45-90 and the BA 444-540.
Came match day I just had 20 rounds left over that where loaded with 83 gr of 2F OE with the BA .444 diameter bullets. I thought I had a full box of this load setback but I did not, just 20. I used the 82 gr 1.5 swiss load with the Prolate bullets and the first three targets @ 1000 yards I only got 5 out of 10 on them. I told my Wife to get the box of 83 gr 2F OE for the last target. She came back saying you only have 20 rounds in this box . I said I only need 11 :) All 11 hit. Carol said your holding white and just outside the white center.
Now I must say that I did not have much time working on a load using the swiss and all tests where at 200 yards so I cant say that the OE is better then the swiss because I spend much more time using the OE and I have a load developed with it with long range load development.
Kurt

sac
01-22-2017, 02:36 PM
I have been reading that the new batches of Swiss are different than the old ones, looks like I might have to develop a new load.

Don McDowell
01-22-2017, 03:41 PM
I have been reading that the new batches of Swiss are different than the old ones, looks like I might have to develop a new load.
If you're going to have to start from scratch, it won't hurt a thing for you to give the Olde Eynsford a try.

sac
01-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Don, thanks for your advice. For a 45-90 would you still use 1 1/2 or move to 2 f

Don McDowell
01-22-2017, 07:37 PM
I like 82 gr. 1 1/2 in the 90. My shooting pardner shoots 85 gr of 2 f in his, and another shooter that does quite well says he's found his 90 load at 81 gr. of 2f.
A shooter friend of mine that has retired from shooting due to health issues, switched from 1 1/2 Swiss to OE just before he quit and sold his rifle, he said he started with his measure set for the Swiss, ended up using 2 more gr. and got tighter groups with the OE than he ever did with Swiss.
Its a bunch easier to deal with the fouling with OE than Swiss.
Try some of each, see which your rifle tells you it likes. Can't go wrong with either.

sac
01-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks again, I will get both.

BrentD
01-22-2017, 10:21 PM
If you're going to have to start from scratch, it won't hurt a thing for you to give the Olde Eynsford a try.

Except your wallet and your time.

rfd
01-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Except your wallet and your time.

... priceless. 8-)

sac
01-23-2017, 10:17 AM
That's ok, I like doing load development and having multiple powders to be able to use incase something happens. I have a bunch of KIK that I'll give a try.

rfd
01-23-2017, 10:26 AM
it's nice to check out different powder brands, and even diff'rent granulations, but not everyone has that luxury, particularly for some who can only have mail order access to black powder. though i'd used lotsa other brands in the past, a few years back i cut to the chase to save both time and money, and went with the very popular swiss for all my black powder firearms, both muzzle and breech loaders. might not be the best powder brand for all my guns, but it sure ain't the worst i'd reckon. besides, even within the same brand and granulation, there's plenty of testing to be done.

Don McDowell
01-23-2017, 10:57 AM
That's ok, I like doing load development and having multiple powders to be able to use incase something happens. I have a bunch of KIK that I'll give a try.
If you find the sweet spot with KIK it's really good, but sometimes that sweet spot with it is hard to come by. Unless you got a whole bunch of that KIK tho, don't think I'ld spend much time with it , when whatever Powder Inc has in stock is gone that's the last of it.
Guess that's the thing I like about ordering powder from Powder Inc. a person can mix and match a case of powder.

Bent Ramrod
01-23-2017, 11:37 AM
The price differential between Olde Eynsford and Swiss makes it worth trying, even though it might take a few grains more of it for the same results. With grease groove boolits out to 600 yards, the only difference off the bench I can see seems to be "money saved," i.e., more powder and more shooting for the buck.

Doesn't work so hot with paper-patched boolits, at least in my cursory experiments to date. There, Swiss rules the roost.

I like Powder, Inc., because they calculate in the hazmat and shipping costs up front. It looks more expensive than Crater Fireworks, but they factor in the costs afterwards and the total is about the same. I'd just as soon not have the surprise at the end of the order, but both operations are equally diligent and prompt with orders. You get a tracking number and notification of when you need to be home to sign for the stuff from the shipper.

There is a considerable savings, on any brand of powder, by buying the 25-lb case for a total order. See if you can find a couple or three other shooters for a group buy. Being able to mix and match facilitates this as well; everybody can get what they want, and everybody saves.

rfd
01-23-2017, 11:50 AM
at least during last year, crater's all up price for a shipped 25# case of swiss 1-1/2f was $7 cheaper than powderinc. with the severe increase in shipping vendor prices this year, i'd expect to see shipping prices of goods to increase as well ... and i have.

country gent
01-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Ive been using alot of the olde ensforde powders in 1 1/2f and 2f with good results. Swiss is also good. the cost difference is a factor at times. Once the proper load is found both give an easy to deal with fouling for me. Olde Ensford seems to need a little more compression than Swiss, but not near as much as some others. I find finding the sweet spot with OE to be fairly quick. As said above test several powders and granulations and let the rifle tell you what it wants. I would test Go Ex, O.E., and Swiss. In the kik and some others that are in stock only its no fun to work up a good load and not be able to get the powder again.

BrentD
01-23-2017, 11:14 PM
BR, Crater will also mix and match brands and granulations if you want. They will send smaller batches than 25# cases as well.

Gunlaker
01-24-2017, 12:51 AM
I would test Go Ex, O.E., and Swiss. In the kik and some others that are in stock only its no fun to work up a good load and not be able to get the powder again.

This is one of the main reasons I was hesitant to try Goex OE. I had loads for Goex Cartridge then it was discontinued, then the Goex Express line which was later discontinued. Fortunately I can get Swiss in Canada now, although I have been shooting some OE as well.

Chris.

sac
01-24-2017, 11:41 AM

I sure do miss Ackley. I have about 150 rounds loaded and labeled specifically for that event. Just waiting for it to return...

Come on up to Lodi WI and join us for mid and long range matches.

How often do you shoot in Lodi?

BrentD
01-24-2017, 12:27 PM
sac
3 times per year. This year, it is Mothers day weekend, earlyish June, and early September.

You can page through the dates here with notes on other matches as well.
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ajJqZzNuZTV2NmNlbjdjaXBpdGw1bTBsaXNAZ3Jv dXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

Lead pot
01-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Brent they moved it to Fathers day weekend didn't they?? Nothing going on in May unless I'm wrong.
Kurt

Don McDowell
01-24-2017, 11:20 PM
According to this http://winnequahgunclub.org/schedule/ The bptr midrange match is May 13 &14 , and the Creedmoor cup match will be June 8 &9, with the bptr long-range match on the 10th and 11th.

boommer
01-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Hi Kurt , Brent be there for the mid range May and long range in June AND VERY HAPPY TO SEE THEY MOVED IT OFF LABOR DAY WEEKEND ! now I can make it. see you there Clayton