PDA

View Full Version : Different size powder

abunaitoo
01-20-2017, 04:55 AM
I've been playing with my Chassepot again.
Been loading with 2F and got it to shoot very good.
I wanted to try larger powder to try and fill up the case, without having to use a filler.
Finally got some 1F and Cannon.
Filled the case so that I would only need a felt wad below the powder and no filler.
I'm also trying a drop tube I made to try a get the powder packed better. (See my other post)
Accuracy with the 1F and Cannon was bad.
But this was just a first test.
I did notice that felt recoil with the cannon was much less than with the 2F.
When I shoot my muzzle loader, I load by volume.
I'm going to try and load this by weight to try and get a more consistent charge.
Anyone know what powder was used in an original?????

w30wcf
02-05-2017, 11:38 AM
I am not familiar with the Chassepot so I did a little research. Sounds like it was certainly an impressive rifle / cartridge combination!
From Wikipedia..
386 gr. .433 dia. bullet / 86 grs. b.p. / 1,385 f.p.s.
"The Chassepots have done wonderfully!" The heavy cylindrical lead bullets fired at high velocity by the Chassepot rifle inflicted wounds that were even worse than those of the earlier Minie Rifle.

Here was Winchester's recommendation for powder back in the 1880's...

Riflecartridges containing 50 to 125 grs………..American PowderComany’s “Rifle Cartridge, F.G.”
Hazard PowderCompany’s “Sea Shooting, F.G”.
E.I. DuPonts& Company’s “DuPont Rifle, F.F.G.”
Laflin &Rand Powder Company’s “Orange Rifle,F.G.”

As we know different powder compositions will equal different ballistic strengths. Have you chronographed your loads to see what the velocities are?

w30wcf

Don McDowell
02-05-2017, 11:51 AM
There were a number of different powder grades in sporting powders back in the waning days of blackpowder. Near as I can tell most of the Fg's recommended for cartridges would be fairly comparable to what today we know as 1 1/2.
You might want to search out some Swiss or Schuetzen 1f, altho my 44-77 hated both of them really bad. Olde Eynsford is coming in a 1f soon.
In the meantime you may do well to experiment with OE and Swiss 1 1/2.