PDA

View Full Version : Scale pan

abunaitoo
01-20-2017, 04:07 AM
I normally measure black powder by volume.
Been told that by weight is more accurate.
I've never weighed BP charge because the pan is conductive.
It may spark from static electricity. Unlikely, but possible.
All the scales I have, the pan is metal or aluminum.
What do BP loaders here do?????
Replace the pan????
What would I replace it with????
Coat it with plastic????

NC_JEFF
01-20-2017, 07:43 AM
I weigh it by volume only.

Randy C
01-20-2017, 07:57 AM
The pan on my scale is brass, and the working parts on my Lyman #55 Classic Black Powder Measure are brass, what kind of pan and scale are you using.

Dan Cash
01-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Develop the load by weighing charges. Once charge is determined, set measure to deliver that charge volume. The use of the scale is not necessary but does give me a base line reference but remember that different lots and even different cans of black powder may have significantly different weights for a given volume. Once the measure is set, it does not get changed.

Unless you have BP dust atomized in the air in the proper density, static electricity will not set off the powder. You will not have an explosion from using a metal scale pan.

jmorris
01-20-2017, 08:18 AM
I use this pan quite a bit because of the built in funnel and it's as non conductive as they get.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/118739/lyman-electronic-scale-powder-funnel-pan

That said, if you are messing with BP subs they were all intended to be used in grains volume not weight.

This chart might help.

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

salpal48
01-20-2017, 09:47 AM
My Ohaus pans are brass. never a problem

tazman
01-20-2017, 11:06 AM
I always went by volume. Black powder absorbs moisture from the air very easily so weights will vary.
That said, I wouldn't be worried about sparking from the scale pan. If you handle the pan it will be grounded to you and any spark will be on the outside or bottom of the pan, not where the powder is located.

abunaitoo
01-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Using Goex. Tried lots of sub BP, but never got good results.
The scale I use most is an old Pacific.
Also have a old Redding, an Ohaus 10-10, RCBS 505, and a few others.
All have metal or aluminum pans.

mdi
01-20-2017, 05:08 PM
I weigh it by volume only.[smilie=l:

jsizemore
01-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Drive a ground rod. Clamp one end of a wire to the ground rod and the other end to your scale and then your press.

Randy C
01-22-2017, 09:35 AM
I would use what you have, I had a Scale with an aluminum pan and never had a problem with it. It was a Ballistic Products, I used it to compare weights.
I have some one staying at my place the Ballistic Products walked away so I bought a Hornady so I would have a second scale, I have the plastic pan that come with it and a extra Brass pan.

Drew P
01-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Cnsidering aluminum as metal is sometimes misleading. Most the powder pans I've seen are anodized, which is a highly electrically insulative coating. So, an anodized pan will not provide sparks generally.

jmorris
01-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Cnsidering aluminum as metal is sometimes misleading. Most the powder pans I've seen are anodized, which is a highly electrically insulative coating. So, an anodized pan will not provide sparks generally.

I think if they were looking for electrically insulated pans they wouldn't be talking about brass ones. I figured they may be thinking about brass hammers or something, not quite sure. The pan I posted a link to is plastic.

Steel, aluminum and brass are all metals and conductive, unless coated with something that insulates them.

w5pv
01-23-2017, 11:09 AM
spray the pans with Downy or some other anti-static medium,I spray mine when the powder starts to stick and that ends the static problem.

abunaitoo
01-23-2017, 11:07 PM
We really don't have a problem with static here.
Just don't want a pan of powder going poof on me.

shaune509
01-24-2017, 07:35 PM
even plastics 'can conduct' static, dryer sheet best option even thu static ignition of BP has been debunked, if safe handling practices used a single scale pan of powder[non contained] will do more damage to your pants than to any thing else. IMO.
Shaune509