PDA

View Full Version : Shotmaker Setup Question

chrisx1
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
there are lots of factors that effect the shot tails rounds flats size and so on. Shot maker was dropping shot fine with single drippers changed to doubles to increase output shot went to crap. After messing with lead types heat coolant temp I found the problem to be the height from nozzle to ramp was the problem. Now i get 95 percent good 9s on a 200lb run with the old drippers I got 60 percent 9s 40 percent 8s and the rest was trash.

Ricky,
I didn't want to hijack that other thread, so I copied this over here. My question is: what is the distance from the face of your dripper to the ramp? I have wondered if this is one of the issues that has been causing me problems.

Chris

RP
07-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry Chris I did not see this until today, the distance from nozzzles to ramp on my machine is about 1/8 of a inch if that much. Has to be far enough for the lead to turn losse of the nozzle and not to cause a stream. Another big factor I have found is the angle of the ramp the steaper the angle the faster it will turn loose a very slight change makes a big differance. My machine was working good and i moved it which changed the angles because of the cement floor pitch it gave me a fit for awhile until I figured out what had happened.

Oh on another note you are using soapstone on your ramp right??? I use grease transmission fluid candled wax smut all helps alot and I tried soap stone it sucks. But the best thing I have found to make the lead race down the ramp in record speed making a nice round shot is FLUX thats right regular flux like you would use when joining copper pipe to clean it and make the lead flow in the joint. Dont know how it would react on aluim. Had a fellow today come by to see my outfit he was having proplems with his littleton and he had contacted the fellow I got my shotmaker from and got some of his Jims ramp grease and told me it works good for him I did not tell him about my flux well because hes trying to sell to the same boys I do. Good thing is he was graphiteing his shot with mica and they dont like white shot.

chrisx1
07-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks, I'll try the flux. I think my drippers are more like 1/4" to 3/8" above the ramp, I also might try increasing the angle a little more.

Chris