PDA

View Full Version : 450 Marlin Carbine carbine!

Ramjet-SS
01-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Picked up a heck of deal on a 16" barrel with brake in the 450 Marlin caliber. This little barrel action combo on my Encore makes for a really nice handi little rifle. Plenty of power from this small package and it is very very accurate.

I had some 460 grain WFN cast up from this mould;
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-460CG-D.png

So loaded them over 29.0 Grains of H110.

The average velocity from the little carbine was 1351 FPS. Std Dev of 4FPS 5 shot string.

Accuracy was was out standing cutting a 1.5" hole at 50 yards the gun has Leupold 1-4 power scope on it.

Recoil was was really pretty mild. The big bullets hit with athority.

This barrel and scope were purchased for 175.00 ����
This will make a really nice stalking rifle in cover.

bearcove
01-20-2017, 10:04 PM
But how are you gonna stalk with earplugs in. Ported barrels are nice at the range with hearing protection but...

Hamish
01-21-2017, 12:02 AM
But how are you gonna stalk with earplugs in. Ported barrels are nice at the range with hearing protection but...

Hes fine, at least until the hammer drops,,,,,,,,

Texas by God
01-21-2017, 02:11 PM
I love the .450 Marlin. I built one on a P14 Eddystone with a ERShaw barrel and mild to wild it was scary accurate. The porting will not be as loud as a muzzle break at least. That's quite possibly the ideal thorn thicket gun you have there. Good hunting! Best, Thomas.

bearcove
01-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Well I have a ported Marlin 450 and I think I'll cut off the barrel to 16" and give up the ports. My ears already ring enough! In the field a ported barrel has no advantage to me. Never feel recoil when shooting at a live target. Do at the bench though.

Don't know how loud a ported vs brake is but it is really the same except a good brake has the barrel machined to remove contact with the bullet. Same thing as far as noise. IMO

Ramjet-SS
01-21-2017, 10:43 PM
These ports are lateral and downward with only two are upward. But the load is mild enough it's not really an issue and I Use Walker game ears that shut off at certain decibels. But really we can all look for reasons not to like something. Me this gun shoots accurate low recoil and very very powerful. If you do not lime it that's ok with me really it is.......

smoked turkey
01-22-2017, 12:17 AM
It sounds like a great combination. I think you got a great deal on the barrel/scope. I would have snagged it if given the chance. I have an old Marlin 444 that I cut to 16.25" many years ago. Works great for me.

bearcove
01-22-2017, 12:49 AM
I hope you like it, what I like is not an issue just an opinion. I think you got a great deal and if it does what you want that's all that matters.

Ramjet-SS
01-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Heck I am open to folks opinions even if they do not align with mine. Unlike many in politics I can agree to disagree without getting all worked up. We all share the interest in guns and boolits that's a great common interest.

The thing I am really happy with is the accuracy of the heavy weight bullet at moderate velocity. To me you develope your loads for accuracy first velocity second..

Texas by God
01-22-2017, 02:27 PM
I would love to shoot it. I'll bet it becomes a favorite. Please give us pics. Best, Thomas.

cainttype
01-22-2017, 02:39 PM
I bid $180... I will also pay shipping. ;)