PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die...er sizing...

wonderwolf
01-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Found a RCBS die that doesn't want to go all the way in my Lyman 4500, after I got it out [smilie=1: and measured it shows its .002" over the other dies. I imagine these are heat treated to a point I wont touch it with HSS on the lathe, grinding post? or just sanding?. Anybody else modify a oversized die to fit?

Butchman205
01-19-2017, 12:33 AM
Found a RCBS die that doesn't want to go all the way in my Lyman 4500, after I got it out [smilie=1: and measured it shows its .002" over the other dies. I imagine these are heat treated to a point I wont touch it with HSS on the lathe, grinding post? or just sanding?. Anybody else modify a oversized die to fit?

I'd be willing to bet they'd (RCBS) swap with you. They're pretty good about that from what I've heard.

-Butchman

runfiverun
01-19-2017, 09:10 PM
I don't think they are as hardened as a case size die is.
try chucking it up and using some crocus cloth and taking a couple of passes.
I have been able to open the necks on a couple of case sizing dies using the stick and sandpaper method.

Skunk1
01-19-2017, 09:19 PM
I think either would work. But I would just give RCbS a call and they will probably help you out. Great company when you have problems.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-20-2017, 12:53 PM
I have one lyman press that had trouble with fitting a RCBS die. It wasn't the OD that was the issue (in my case), it was the bevel at the bottom of the RCBS die that didn't mate in that Lyman press. The interesting thing was, it would fit in other Lyman presses.