PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: RD TLC311-165-RF & M94

Ranch Dog
06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
I've been needing to load my dad some ammo for his Winchester and we have some feral hogs that really need killing, so I got busy last night revamping the load I had worked out for this rifle and shot it out this morning. I wasn't able to beat the wind that we have been having and laid my chronograph screens down before I was ready, but I'm satisfied that I have something that will work and work real well.

His rifle is a 1968 Winchester Model 94 Antique. This is a rifle that came with a case hardened finish and saddle ring. He has a B-Square side mount and Bushnell Banner 4X scope with a post reticle. While shooting I found both of these features, the offset and the post, very difficult to accommodate but my dad has become very use to them and has done well with this rifle in the 40 years he owned it. It's my dads rifle, I remember killing a hog with it about 15 years ago but I just haven't shot it much.

Not much science to the load development, I knew I would only have about an hour and a half before the wind got up to high to shoot (and it did) so I just concentrated on a max load of BL-C(2). I loaded three increments; 35.0, 35.5, and 36.0-grains. From my Glenfield 30 equipped with a strain gage, 35.5-grains of BL-C(2) produces 39.4K PSI.

35.0-grains produced 2182 FPS with a SD of 19 and an ES of 51. The second increment, 35.5-grains, produced 2213 FPS with a SD of 12 and an ES of 29. The Max increment, 36.0-grains, produced 2223 FPS with a SD of 13 and an ES of 43.

The first load of 35.0-grains produced a good group. While shooting the second load of 35.5-grains, the scope came loose so a considerable amount of time was spent getting the scope back into position and re-sighting in the rifle. In fact all of the bullets in this increment were shot across the chronograph so the velocity wouldn't be lost but I just used a bullet at a time to reestablish the zero. The load did track extremely well from the first shot hitting about 10-yards in front of the 50-yard berm (that's when you know something has come loose!) to back on the target.

After messing with the side-mount and the scope, the wind has risen to 12 mph with gusts of an additional 6 mph from my 4:30 position. The first five shots of the 36.0-grain load did very well despite hitting very high on the target. I had a terrible time with the cheek fit vs. sight picture and I think that this accounts for the fifth hit to the right rather than a load flyer.

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/images/Firearms/M94/Targets/080626 36.0 01.gif

Well... I went back in and loaded some ammo as I wanted to get the zero near the bullseye and then let my dad have the rifle to sight in (especially in light of this offset scope). For the next bit of shooting, I used the Caldwell Tip Top 8" Sight-In Target and it definitely is not "post" friendly but I was out of time as the wind was now at 18 mph with gusts.

Shots 1, 2, and 3 where at 50-yards. Shots 4 through 9 at 100-yards. Shot 4 wasn't framed right with the post reticle but shots 5 and 6 where, they looked and felt real good at the shot. After that, I lost the sight picture and couldn't figure out what it took to balance cheek fit for the offset and hold the post on this type of target. Overall, not too bad with these factors and the wind.

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/images/Firearms/M94/Targets/080626.gif

If you look closely at the bullet holes shot at 50-yards, particularly shot 2, you will notice the off square impact I mentioned in my 308MX post. The holes punched out at 100-yards are extremely round and clean.

This little light carbine delivers a beating especially while looking around the offset. It has been 4 to 5 hours since I shot these rounds and my jaw still hurts! Here are the particulars of the load...

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/images/Firearms/M94/Loads/Box Label 3.gif

I will see what my dad can do with the shooting tomorrow being he is use to his setup. I know I can kill a hog with it and we will see what he can do the next couple of nights when the raiders come calling! I'm going to shooting it again tomorrow as I need to get two range velocities for a valid BC.

Ranch Dog
06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, heck. My dad just missed a hog out on my food plots. My wife and I had been watching a movie but looking also watching our driveway. She got up to go to the kitchen and saw them crossing about 10 yards out from our house, coming off the hill behind us and heading into the food plots. I called my dad and roused him out of bed but he came on out. My parents live about 80-yards behind me and the hogs pass between our homes as they come off the hill. We made an outstanding stalk out into the field on the feeding hogs (20 to 25 hogs), picked out a big one, I hit him with the light and he shot. I didn't see any reaction other than the hog hauling butt. No blood trail. Oh well, it's always a time to remember.

There are but a few things like moving with the hogs out in the dark! Clear night with plenty of stars and a good wind that helps to move among them. I've been doing this for 40 years now and it is always strange to have them critters all around!

ktw
06-27-2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/images/Firearms/M94/Loads/Box Label 3.gif

The load notes above do not specify, but given the velocity your are running and some of your other load data, I presume these are not ACWW (bhn 11-13) but heat treated in some manner?

-ktw

Ranch Dog
06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
The alloy is Lyman #2 clone with 1 oz. of #8 shot added per 10# of alloy. The bullets are water quenched as they drop from the mold for a BHN of 21. Another thing I failed to mention is the environmental conditions at the time the velocities were taken... 290' above sea level, 95°, 45% humidity, and 29.91" Hg.

Also notice that this .311" bullet has been sized to .309" for this Winchester. My load for my Marlins is exactly the same but with a .311" bullet.

Ranch Dog
06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Dang wind is making me crazy! It was 20 mph when I got up and when I went to bed yesterday. Up at daybreak to leave for work and damned if it wasn't calm. This is making me crazy!

POST YOUR LOAD RESULTS!

Ranch Dog
06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm out flying a trip but my dad checked in and told me he had killed a hog this morning with the bullet and his M94 at the start of his morning walk to our front gate. He said that he saw deer fleeing in all directions and knew hogs were moving them out. Soon he saw a pack of about 20 hogs and he chose a small one that he could handle. The 80-yard heart/lung shot killed it on the spot! At the cleaning area, the hog scaled in at 70# and his examination revealed that the little 30 caliber water quenched bullet had destroyed the heart/lung package before exiting. I'm waiting for him to email me a picture, and then I will post it.

Ranch Dog
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Dad's hog from his morning's walk...

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/images/Hunting/2008/Dads Hog 062908.jpg

The bullet hit this side of the hog at the narrowest part of the bloodstain. It fell immediately on this side. Good job Dad!

Steelbanger
06-29-2008, 03:54 PM
This is just great to see. We're so happy that your dad can enjoy using his old 94 Win. We hope he gets many more with your new bullet.

VTDW
06-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Michael,

I see it is no more of that tree limb and patio table stuff!!:mrgreen::mrgreen: Tell your dad nice shot!!!:drinks:

I went to my range today and wrung out that .444T and 200 gr hardcast with VV N-120. What a rocket but not too accurate past 2,800 fps. There are several sweet spots in the 60 rounds I worked up.

I also tried BL-C (2) again but this time with your 165 gr. boolit sized at .309 rather than .311. I MIGHT have found a sweet spot...maybe, but need to work up a few more loads to check it out. I'll come back to this post later today and post some velocities.

EDIT: Got back from the range and analyzed the data.

Marlin .308MX - All boolits seated just off the lands...barely
RD TLC311-165-RF - 170 gr sized .309 with 50/50 WW/Lino lubed and gas checked - 28Bnh
BL-C(2)
Good results all thru the 39 gr spectrum with best being at 39.5 gr - 3 shot group 1/2" @ 50 yd. 2,300fps avg.

6-21-08 - Boolits sized .311 no chrony data - the only good group was 3 shots 5/8" @ 50 yd - 28Bnh
Re-15 - 40 gr

The .444T and 200 gr hardcast showed great accuracy with VV N-120 56.6 thru 56.9 with best being 56.8 gr - 2,880 fps. Higher charges resulted in less accuracy up to and thru Max of 57.7 gr.

Dave

Ranch Dog
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I see it is no more of that tree limb and patio table stuff!!:mrgreen::mrgreen: Tell your dad nice shot!!!:drinks:

Notice that hog is suspended by an electric winch (yellow control box hanging in the background). Too many hogs on the pole since you've been here. That cleaning area is really well lighted, on a hill so there is always a pleasant breeze, water, etc. I even put low voltage lights on it so that it is lit up every night for 6 hours after sunset. That way when you drive up you don't have to search for the work light switches!

I will pass along Steelbanger and your comments to my dad, he will be glad to hear from you. Thanks for the load notes!