PDA

View Full Version : Cast and boolit count vs load mild/hot

starnbar
01-18-2017, 12:59 PM
We got into a discussion the other night about round count vs loading and as usual everybody has a different take on it. I have a ruger black hawk that has had well over 10,000 rounds through it and it has all ways been loaded mild with cast there is a 1/8 inch deep cut on the top strap from the gas and it has an action that is smooth as glass the barrel has a shine like only polished steel can have and it can still clover leaf at 15 yards with me shooting. I shoot a 200 gr cast 44 no gas check with 2400 which is the same load I have used from day one it chronos about as fast as my 45 long colt right at 900 fps. A friend of mine says he shot his revolver out a few years back but he loads so hot I wouldn't use the loads in my Blackhawk which I know is built to take some hot loads. I am of the opinion that a milder load is better suited for longevity over hot loads for a barrel regardless of round count.

runfiverun
01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
heat and pressure ruins steel.
friction will wear it out.

44MAG#1
01-18-2017, 01:26 PM
What you like or dislike or shoot or don't shoot has very little to do with anyone else.
If you like mild loads that is good.
If someone else like heavy loads that is good also.
One pays their money for their toys then they can do what they want.
I understand what your saying though but if one never fires their gun it will last even longer.
If one shoots light loads only and shoots very little than their gun will last longer than someone else shooting the same gun and load but shoots many thousands of rounds a year.
Same thing with heavy loads, shoot little lasts longer, than someone shooting the same heavy load and same gun that shoots thousands of rounds a year.
Kinda an understood thing.

reddog81
01-18-2017, 01:59 PM
How did your friend shoot his revolver out? I'd guess more Blackhawk barrels are ruined due to firing a second shot behind a squib rather than ruined from "wearing" them out. I'd bet more cylinders are ruined from double charges than from shooting 10,000's of SAAMI spec loads.

Rifle barrels can be ruined in fairly short order when shooting extremely high pressure loads, but the pressure and hot gases are much more abusive than any revolver load.

mdi
01-18-2017, 02:25 PM
To answer your question from a mechanical point of view (I'm a lifelong machinist/mechanic), yes higher pressures will stress the machine (gun) which will accelerate any wear and tear. When I started shooting my first .44 Magnum I had a full blown case of "Magnumitis", and a few thousand hot reloads did "shoot it loose". I sent my 629 back to the factory for repair and now that I'm over my "Magnumitis" I don't shoot those hot loads anymore. I have another .44 Magnum that has had several hundred more rounds through it than the 629, but the rounds are milder and the gun still is as tight as when new (Dan Wesson 44H).