PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Overpowder Wads for 45-70.

tangsight
01-18-2017, 12:03 AM
I will try to keep this short. Dick Trenk, in an article titled "The BP Cartridge Rifle Reloading Guide", wrote the following: "The wad must be a snug fit in the case neck where it will be finally located.......Make or buy wads which will be .002"-.004" larger than the place they are going to occupy in the case."

Also, from an primer titled "Buffalo Rifles", in the section about creating a live cartridge, there's this: "Wad making tools are typically either a Cornell press mounted wad punch, or a hand held punch that's hammered into the wad material.......The press punch will cost 2 to 3 times that of a wad punch, but will be faster, far quieter and will last lots longer. Wads for 45 caliber are typically .460" diameter."

Initially, I bought an Osborne #14 punch at Track of the Wolf (15/32", or 0.46875"), which cuts a wad about .003" larger than the neck of my fire-formed 45-70 brass. Works great. Labor intensive. So I bought the Cornell punch. Works great. Cuts .460" wads as predicted. TOO SMALL.

I guess my questions would be: 1) Can you buy bags of precut wads that are .46875" anywhere, and/or 2) Does anyone know of a press mounted wad punch available that will cut .46875" wads?

Chill Wills
01-18-2017, 12:23 AM
I think - You can get a Cornell in the size you want by ordering. Maybe extra$
Are you sure the wads are that small.
As you know - Measure with out squeezing.

For a 45 rifle 0.463" is good and what my Cornell produces.

54bore
01-18-2017, 12:31 AM
I think - You can get a Cornell in the size you want by ordering. Maybe extra$
Are you sure the wads are that small.
As you know - Measure with out squeezing.

For a 45 rifle 0.463" is good and what my Cornell produces.

All i can ad is the Cornell Press mount wad punches are REALLY nice! I just bought 2 of them for my muzzleloaders, a .45 and a .50, they are a bit spendy but should last a lifetime, they punch wads fast, accurate, and near effortlessly.

tangsight
01-18-2017, 12:46 AM
I measured the diameter of the plunger. When I measure the diameter of the wads, they are the same, but now that I read your response, I wonder if that measure is what I get because I expect to get it?
The Cornell punch is top notch. If the wads are too small, it isn't a problem with the tool, it is because of my chamber. A friend and I shoot together, he has a new Shiloh Sharps. I can chamber his ammo, but he can't chamber mine.