PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Gen 4 Improving trigger suggestions?

aap2
01-17-2017, 08:25 PM
I wanted to ask for advice on any drop-in mods that might improve the trigger pull on my new Glock 19 Gen 4? I use it for informal target/plinking and it loves boolits..once I followed the advice in the "cast boolits for Glocks" thread and used the correct sizing diameter this pistol has fired many thousands of the Mihec 125gr 9mm boolits without leading or a single jam. Accuracy from a rest is great for such a light pistol of this type but I'm having trouble getting used to the heavy and fairly rough trigger. I have been spoiled by shooting older double-action revolvers and 1911 types and don't expect a similar trigger pull on the Glock, just an improvement if possible (maybe a little crisper break would be fine). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

lefty o
01-17-2017, 08:28 PM
i like the zev v4 connectors myself, as a start to a trigger job on a glock. lots of options and directions to go, sort of just have to pick something and go for it.

garym1a2
01-17-2017, 08:42 PM
3.5lb ghost connector. Leave stock trigger springs, 2 my 3 failures withe glocks used in Uspsa events where aftermarket trigger return springs.

dverna
01-17-2017, 09:45 PM
3.5lb ghost connector. Leave stock trigger springs, 2 my 3 failures withe glocks used in Uspsa events where aftermarket trigger return springs.

That is what I did too. It will never be a 1911.

Don Verna

Plate plinker
01-17-2017, 10:41 PM
ditto ^^^^^

Electric88
01-17-2017, 10:52 PM
I replaced my trigger with a drop in from SSVi. It's much better now

Boolit_Head
01-17-2017, 10:55 PM
While not quite drop in I did a Ghost Rocket and some judicial polishing to some components and got a real nice trigger in a couple of my Glocks.

garym1a2
01-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Yea, but you can put a plus two base plate of a glock17 mag and have a 19 round mag. I have done all 10 of mine. 1911 is 8 round mag, my g21SF holds 13 in the mag. Plus a 3.5 connector works here also.

That is what I did too. It will never be a 1911.

Don Verna

Bigslug
01-17-2017, 11:18 PM
Keep the stock connector well oiled and shoot it a lot.

dverna
01-17-2017, 11:30 PM
I did not intend to diss the Glock. It is the gun I carry. I have high end 1911's but their triggers are toooooo good for a carry gun for me. I have no combat experience and know I will be pumped up. The Glock is a safer trigger for me.

For target work, the 1911 is tough to beat.

Don Verna

roundgun
01-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Check out glock 25 cent trigger job on you tube. You can smooth out trigger pull with spot polishing.

Petrol & Powder
01-18-2017, 12:28 AM
OK, I'll be the bad guy.

A Glock 19 is capable of decent accuracy. It's not a bullseye pistol nor is it meant to be a target pistol but it is a combat pistol. In fact, it's a pretty darn good combat pistol. It may not make little bitty tiny groups but with practice it will make groups that are small enough that it will not matter.
In addition to a lot of practice, there are some techniques to improve one's performance with a stock Glock pistol. One of those techniques is to master the trigger reset. Once you learn how to do that, you will see a huge increase in speed and accuracy. The Glock trigger will never be a finely tuned 1911 trigger or even a good CZ-75 trigger but it will be fast.

Having played with Glocks for years I must say that a Glock is a tool. It may not be the best tool to shoot a target match with but it's a pretty good tool to save your life. Accuracy and speed must be balanced. A fast miss is worthless but a slow perfect shot may be just as fatal. I know that some other platforms can be very fast AND accurate but even a bone stock Glock is no slouch in the speed/accuracy department.

My advice is before you start dumping money into triggers, connectors, springs, etc. .......SHOOT your Glock and shoot it a LOT. Take the money you would put into parts and apply that money to ammo, lead, powder and primers. You will find that after enough rounds that stock Glock doesn't need a thing beyond ammunition.
I carried and trained with the 1911 for years. It is a great pistol and I was proficient with the 1911. One of the best ones I ever had was a completely factory unaltered Colt and I wish I still had it. Don't underestimate an unmodified Glock pistol, it may be far better than you are.

aap2
01-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the great replies. I did some careful polishing and the trigger is no longer gritty and I'm happy with the results. I just did some shooting with an instructor familiar with Glocks and I have to say that most of the "trigger problems" were my poor technique. I'm amazed at just how accurate this stock Glock19 really is. Thanks!

dkf
01-18-2017, 10:45 PM
The Ghost Ranger connector (along with a light polish on critical parts) is really nice for carry. Reduces the pull about a pound maybe and took out some of the mush in one of my Glocks. Likely going to put the Ranger connector in all my Glocks.

Lloyd Smale
01-19-2017, 07:00 AM
In guns I'm going to plink with I go with the ghost trigger disconnect and springs but leave the factory trigger return spring. Guns that are used for carry get either nothing or if there exceptionally bad I just do a ghost disconector.

6bg6ga
01-19-2017, 07:49 AM
I'm really amazed that you haven't gotten 25 replies telling you not to touch the Glock trigger. I also use a Glock as my carry gun. I could not stand the trigger after owning a 1/2 dozen 1911's with 3 lb triggers. I cannot however subject one of my 1911's to holster bluing ware. Mine now has aftermarket parts and a 3lb trigger. Still not up to 1911 standards but I can live with it. A Glock is a Glock and you can't do too much to it.

Petrol & Powder
01-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the great replies. I did some careful polishing and the trigger is no longer gritty and I'm happy with the results. I just did some shooting with an instructor familiar with Glocks and I have to say that most of the "trigger problems" were my poor technique. I'm amazed at just how accurate this stock Glock19 really is. Thanks!

Good to hear. After one wades through all of the internet lore and urban legend, it turns out the Glock is a pretty good gun right out of the box.

FergusonTO35
01-19-2017, 12:17 PM
My advice is before you start dumping money into triggers, connectors, springs, etc. .......SHOOT your Glock and shoot it a LOT. Take the money you would put into parts and apply that money to ammo, lead, powder and primers. You will find that after enough rounds that stock Glock doesn't need a thing beyond ammunition.
I carried and trained with the 1911 for years. It is a great pistol and I was proficient with the 1911. One of the best ones I ever had was a completely factory unaltered Colt and I wish I still had it. Don't underestimate an unmodified Glock pistol, it may be far better than you are.

This, 100%. Your pistol is probably more accurate than you are, I know mine certainly is. If you really need/want a different trigger then you should probably buy a different gun. There are bunches of them out there to choose from. My Glocks are all in stock form other than sights. I treat them as defensive arms and they are great for that purpose. I am saving up for a new Browning Hi-Power to use for my pinpoint accuracy range queen.

jason
01-19-2017, 07:49 PM
This, 100%. Your pistol is probably more accurate than you are, I know mine certainly is. If you really need/want a different trigger then you should probably buy a different gun. There are bunches of them out there to choose from. My Glocks are all in stock form other than sights. I treat them as defensive arms and they are great for that purpose. I am saving up for a new Browning Hi-Power to use for my pinpoint accuracy range queen.

Good advice. As an aftermarket part, I have found KKM barrels to be well worth the money. They really like cast boolits. I noticed an immediate increase in accuracy.

Greg S
01-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Ya want a good trigger, go 1911with fitted tool steel parts (a real trigger job) and not a parts swap. I can put an awesome rolling or crisp break on a 1911 and not have a following hammer but can't get that on a glock. I can smooth it up and get it kinda crispy/predictable but consistant and light, no.

Glocks have mushy triggers because it is striker fired as designed for combat.

A couple of things to point you down the road of experimentation. Get a different (lighter connector), some lighter striker/firing pin springs, a NY#1 spring and start experimenting to see what you like. Note that I had reliability problems with a ghost connector in my 19 which I like to carry. Friends have to and was pointed to a factory minus connector for better reliability. The Ghost minus works reliably in my 20 so far but I would have a hard time trusting it till a get 1k trouble free. Both the Ghost and Glock - connector were too light even with a factory striker and the reset was mooshy. Added a NY #1 to boost the reset and it was alittle heavy. I'm back to a factory connector and I think a lighter striker spring and just dealing with it as I want at least 4 lbs and reliable. In its current configuration I think it is between 4.25 and 5.5 lbs by hanging weight, my RAM got full and the data was purged some time ago.

I'm not bashing Glocks, heck I love my 19 and 20. They are a reliable and combat accurrate. If I want a great trigger, I pick up one of the 6 1911s I've worked over. If I was going into harms way daily, a1911would be going with but as I don't have to and the weight gets to me now alittle more than it used to a light and reliable G19 can make an occassional trip to the local stop and rob, I'll take a reliable G19.

6bg6ga
01-20-2017, 07:41 AM
I went the connector route along with all the springs,bells,and whistles. The result is a Glock that I can shoot nice tight groups with. I will admit that the 19 is easier to shoot than the 23. I also have a lone wolf 9mm stainless barrel for the 23 along with model 19 mags.

dragon813gt
01-20-2017, 08:15 AM
I'd perform the 25 cent trigger job and shoot it a lot. The 25 cent job just smooths areas that will smooth over repeated use. So you're essentially just breaking it in through non trigger time.

6bg6ga
01-20-2017, 08:25 AM
I did the 25 cent trigger job with the dremmel polishing it to the T. It was a waste of my time. I did more good simply changing out the connector and springs.

dragon813gt
01-20-2017, 08:50 AM
You're right. It was a waste of time to do it w/ a Dremel. Polishing it by hand in a few minutes is all that's needed. Everyone is going to have a different experience. It made enough of a difference on mine to make it worth it.

6bg6ga
01-20-2017, 08:56 AM
You're right. It was a waste of time to do it w/ a Dremel. Polishing it by hand in a few minutes is all that's needed. Everyone is going to have a different experience. It made enough of a difference on mine to make it worth it.I'm kinda curious as to how hand polishing would be superior to using a buffing wheel and compound. I had a mirror finish on mine and certainly better than a hand polish. It made a very slight difference in mine and certainly not enough to write home about.

pmer
01-20-2017, 09:21 AM

The one I have left is a Gen 4 G19 and I tried the different grip extensions and I do best with the biggest one installed, my hands aren't huge but it helps keep me from dragging plastic on the side of my trigger finger.

FergusonTO35
01-20-2017, 09:38 AM
My gen. 4 19 and 26 have the dot connector factory. I'm actually thinking of going to the standard no dot connector to get some of the creep out. I don't mind the harder trigger pull as long as it is consistent.

Boolit_Head
01-20-2017, 04:54 PM
If you didn't polish the end of the trigger bar or adjust the pressure of the connector you are not reaping all the benefits.