PDA

View Full Version : Schuetzen range box designs solicited

Finnmike
01-17-2017, 04:40 PM
A master millwright friend offered to build a range box for my Aydt Schuetzen; he's going to use a plank of 15-year seasoned black walnut with gorgeous figure. I want the box to be a complete station for my bullets, brass, Pope style re-decapper, powder measure, essential tools and other loading and cleaning accessories, in addition to having removable front and rear rests for loading and cleaning. I've seen the designs of CalGraf and a few on the woodworkers web sites but I'm looking for other ideas before committing my friend's gorgeous plank to the planer and table saw. I'd sure like to hear about others who've done this, particularly do's and don'ts because this will be a one-time/one shot project. The end result will be posted here, with progress pics. Thanks to anyone with design ideas.

wch
01-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Check on ASSRA.com forum: these shooters are all single shot rifle and schuetzen fans.

Finnmike
01-17-2017, 04:59 PM
I should have mentioned that I am a CBA/ASSRA member. I have, to no avail other than the usual mechanics tool boxes. Biggi in Germany had photos of cartridge bxes/carriers, but they do not use this type of kit.

country gent
01-17-2017, 05:05 PM
One thing to try doing first and it will show alot is get a card board box and start with it and some tape and cardboard. Make the Prototype from this adding and changing as you go until you have just what you want then commit it to wood. Mistakes and off ideas arnt near as expensive here and when the cardboard model is done its alot easier to make the wood or metal version. Ive seen boxes made from converted tool boxes, The "apprentice" sized machinist boxes are popular are some of the older gerstner apprentice sized. Keep in mind weight when loaded as it does need to be carried or handled by hand. Weigh all the gear you want to go in it. Then the wood to be used and see if its in the range you want.

Finnmike
01-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Good suggestions. The Aydt Schuetzen has such a severe drop to the buttstock that I need a fitted set of fore and aft holders to hold it at the proper angle for resting and cleaning. The completed box should not be too heavy, and I will have a shoulder strap with a wide pad for moving from the vehicle to the bench. I'll build a cardboard box for a rough model, then 3/8" ply for a rough rifle holding model. Thanks.