PDA

View Full Version : Which brand of Shell holders do you like?

Bazoo
01-17-2017, 04:13 PM
I've been using lee shell holders, but am looking to get better quality/fitting holders for the calibers I do most. Which shell holders do yall like, and why?

Harter66
01-17-2017, 05:11 PM
I think I have at least 1 each RCBS,Lee, Lyman .
Lee is .......Well Lee , they fit and work but the tolerance is full figured .

RCBS is overall tighter and better finished I think ... ,they are also on every shelf and I've found several that could/should share that don't/can't /won't . 06'/ACP/Mauser/308 come to mind but I can't remember now I think it is an ACP specific that doesn't play nice with the others .
The Lyman's I have are old old old and hard chromed which are nice and seem to be have been cut in such a way as to work with as an example the whole Savage,308,06',Mauser ,Sweed ,Jap,ACP and Swift clan .

At the end of the day unless you need bench rest or a particular bump for multiple rifles Lee is probably as good as the others , RCBS seems more shelf available and Lyman is prettier . RCBS is probably the most uniform of the 3 but with some cartridges you need to buy the alternate holder also .

Tom W.
01-17-2017, 08:04 PM
I generally get the shell holder that corresponds with the brand of dies. I am also anal enough to get a shell holder with ​each set of dies.

Skunk1
01-17-2017, 08:29 PM
RCBS. I use most of their products aside from Dillon which uses shell plates. Have a set of Lee shell holders but they don't fit calibers as well. You have to buy more of them but the fit is better. Have a mess of odd manufacturers but easier to use one brand as they correspond with the die boxes I have.

VHoward
01-17-2017, 08:52 PM
I started with all Lee shell holders. Then last year I replaced them all with RCBS. Way better fit especially for 9mm.

salpal48
01-17-2017, 08:59 PM
I have a wide variety of shell holder over the years. i always Liked Lyman. why i have Lyman equipment. i also have older equipment. i seek out older holder because the primer hole is 5/16 diameter. the new one's are about 1/4 . the smaller primer hole one's do not work in older press arms. like Texan, bair, herters Or CH

g17
01-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Lee works about the same as others for me.

DanishM1Garand
01-17-2017, 09:37 PM
I buy RCBS for everything if it is available. The fit always better than Lee.

The customer service fromRCBS is by far the best I've ever experienced. Twice I've called to replace bits and pieces I've broken and they refused to let me pay for them.

nicholst55
01-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Hornady works well for me because they're half the price of RCBS and work just as well. Redding because they look cool with the knurling. Lee works okay, except when they try to fit two vastly different cartridges into the same shell holder so they can save $2; .44 Mag/Spl is NOT the same size as .45 Colt - which can vary widely in dimension (and design), depending on manufacturer and vintage.

jmort
01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
CH4D and Redding favorites
But any old holder that is handy will work

Ole Joe Clarke
01-17-2017, 11:02 PM
I received a RCBS #16 today that fits a 9 mm rim like a glove. Have a Lee that is supposed to fit both 9 mm and .40 S&W. We used to call that kind of fit a "slop" fit. I have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee dies and shellholders. From now on it's RCBS, it's the KISS rule.

To be fair, I have used what I have on hand with no problems since about 1975 or so. The Lee is just to sloppy on the 9 mm.

Have a blessed evening,

Leon

ascast
01-17-2017, 11:18 PM
I have broken SEVERAL Lee holders. Always on odd stuff, like 11mm Mauser, 41 Swiss, 43 Spanish, 38-56, etc. Please note these all came with the set of dies purchased. I don't use Lee dies other than these limite run dies or on my Pro1000 progressive. The other 50 odd sets are not Lee, and I have never ( NEVER ) broken a shell holder. you do the math

Pavogrande
01-18-2017, 01:06 AM
I use a lot of herters -- nothing else fits without an adapter - well lachmiller's will work

retread
01-18-2017, 01:42 AM
RCBS and Pacific(if you can find them). I have a set of Lee but I use them if I don't have the proper shellholder made by the previous two. Eventually I will have replaced all the Lee.

ioon44
01-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Redding, RCBS, Hornady for quality and customer service.

TenTea
01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Most all of them work and I have a variety of manufacturers.

I have learned not to *change horses in midstream.*
The thickness dimension varies between manufacturers and causes men to scratch heads as to why their dies are suddenly out of adjustment. haha!

gwpercle
01-18-2017, 04:50 PM
CH4D , well made , close tolerances , they fit the case properly and I just like them best.

Randy Bohannon
01-18-2017, 05:48 PM
RCBS and Redding. one for ea. set of dies.

Ole Joe Clarke
01-18-2017, 08:03 PM
You are dating yourself if you use Pacific. :-) I forgot about them when I responded to this thread. I have several, they work well, at least as well as Hornady.

Have a blessed evening,

Leon

Bazoo
01-19-2017, 06:50 PM
I have an RCBS shell holder for 357, and I dont see much of a difference with it than the lee equivalent, but the Lee 44 magnum shell holder is sloppy at best, and I dont care for it. I appreciate everyones replies.

laveritt
01-26-2017, 02:41 PM
RCBS are fine. I also like Redding.

lightman
01-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Over the years I have used several brands but I have had fewer issues with fit with RCBS.

Shawlerbrook
01-26-2017, 06:00 PM
When push comes to shove I'll choose RCBS, but use Lee also without any problems.

Pavogrande
01-27-2017, 03:52 AM
when ole joe said the feller was dating himself for using pacific shellholder it reminded me i still use a pacific press and a peck of pacific and ch ram type shellholders --

NavyVet1959
01-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Well, for my Dillon press, I use a Dillon shellplate, of course. :)

My dies are just about all Lee, so my shell holders are also Lee. I have had a couple of cartridges over the years where I was able to rip the rim through the shell holder trying to get it unstuck. I don't know if a more well fitting shell holder would have prevented that. On the other hand, I have encountered brass that was enough of a tight fit in the Lee shell holder that I just threw it away. Maybe they have to make the sloppy due to some variances in cartridge dimensions from what is supposedly the SAAMI standard?

USMC87
01-28-2017, 12:00 AM
I have all RCBS and Lyman shell holders, The only thing different is the Dillon shell plates.

r1kk1
01-28-2017, 10:40 AM
I like Hornady because the deprimming hole appears to be a tad larger than other brands. I have all the other current production brands.

take care

r1kk1

gwpercle
01-29-2017, 04:27 PM
You are dating yourself if you use Pacific. :-) I forgot about them when I responded to this thread. I have several, they work well, at least as well as Hornady.

Have a blessed evening,

Leon

Yes you're right about dating , it's just I got the Pacific shell holder with the Pacific Durachrome Dies When I bought the Pacific Super Deluxe Press, this was 1970 ? Oh My, that is dated, funny thing is I'm still using all of that blue Pacific stuff.......Pacific was the original "Blue Press " !
Gary

MT Chambers
01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
I mostly use my Co-ax which does not use shell holders, when I have to use my RC I use the Redding set of 5 shellholders for each cal., which allows you to adjust your case shoulder regardless of the dies you are using.