PDA

View Full Version : Forming nose punch

Bama
01-17-2017, 03:23 AM
Anyone have any slick way of forming the cavity of nose punches for softer lead bullets. to date all I can come up with is small center drill to depth and curved D bit. D bit is curved but not ground to fit nose profile, Any ideas would help

reed1911
01-17-2017, 05:42 AM
Hot glue in the cavity of a slightly larger nose punch generally works quite well. 2 part epoxy for a more permanent solution in some cut from alum. If you plan to make a bunch of them or make them for sale, short of tooling them by hand, a shaped cutter will be the best way.

KCSO
01-17-2017, 10:50 AM
If you have a lathe cut D reamers to whatever nose you need and keep them for doing your friends moulds. You can also use router bits if your steel for the punches is around 75% machinability or more. I use 12L14 for the punches.

oldred
01-17-2017, 11:39 AM
A slightly bigger cavity filled with steel reinforced epoxy such as JB weld's "Steel Stick" (WallMart) works quite well, it will fit the nose profile perfectly and it's way harder and tougher than soft lead, or even straight wheel weights for that matter.

country gent
01-17-2017, 02:03 PM
I drill them out slightly larger than needed then a dab of JB weld and into the die. Wax die body and bullet so they release easily. Let cure and you have a form fitted punch to that bullet. I have also on factory nose seater lapped to match the bullets nose. with a couple bullets and lapping compound. A D reamer close to profile and then lapped to the bullet would be do able.