PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler question

41 mag fan
01-17-2017, 02:53 AM
Curious on the rotary tumbler what amount of pins and water or cleaner everyone uses vs the amount of brass. Thanks for any input. I'll be cleaning a variety of brass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bayou52
01-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Pin to brass ratio for me is one pound of pins to each pound of brass. A typical recipe is one ounce of auto wash and wax with 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine. Cover the brass with water and over about an inch. Tumble time varies depending on the level of shine you wish to receive and the degree of tarnish on the brass.

I am using a Thumlers model B high speed tumbler.

Bayou52

Pee Wee
01-17-2017, 07:51 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^what Bayou52 said, I use the ArmorAll Ultra Shine Wash&Wax

XDROB
01-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Pin to brass ratio for me is one pound of pins to each pound of brass. A typical recipe is one ounce of auto was and wax with 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine. Cover the brass with water and over about an inch. Tumble time varies depending on the level of shine you wish to receive and the degree of tarnish on the brass.

I am using a Thumlers model B high speed tumbler.

Bayou52
I agree, I just started to wet tumble. I bought a Franklin Arsenal. Have already changed up my cleaning mixture except the Lemi-shine. Recleaned a batch of 45s that I had cleaned with #5 corn, to see if it would clean primer holes better. WOW, was I surprised how dirty the water was. Considering I had already (cleaned) this batch.
I do think wet tumbling is a litte more work, setting it up, measuring cleaners, adding water, separating water,pins,brass at end of cycle. Then making sure that your pins are dried completely. I did find that I was very glad I also purchased the Frankland Arsenal media handler. Basically a magnet with a release setup.
Probly still going to dry tumble also.
BUT, if you want NEW looking brass, wet tumbling with SS pins is the way to go!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bayou52
01-17-2017, 08:44 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^what Bayou52 said, I use the ArmorAll Ultra Shine Wash&Wax

Great looking results, Pee Wee!

Bayou52

41 mag fan
01-18-2017, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I've got the dual drum harbor freight tumbler but it's not big enough, it was more frustration more than anything. So i set out to build my own til my motor i was going to use bit the dust, so me being me got po'd and bought the Frankford tumbler. I was wondering what ratios to use as I've got a big 20 gal tub full of brass and a huge box full. Range pickup from this fall and it's tarnished and some are mud packed. Now for the fun of separating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Pee Wee
01-18-2017, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=Bayou52;3914241]Great looking results, Pee Wee!

Bayou52[/QUOTE
Thanks Bayou 52

tstowater
01-18-2017, 09:50 AM
The Frankfort tumbler claims to hold up to a 1000 223 brass pieces. I think that is a little high for my applications. I have been running around 750 pieces in a batch with the 5 lbs of pins that came with the tumbler with an estimated 1/2 tsp of citric acid and an ounce or so of the armour all wash and wax. Depending on how nasty the brass is will dictate how long to tumble. There have been some recent threads about soaking the brass in water and lemi shine or citric acid ahead of time for better results. I'm going to try that method soon. Trial and error will help you refine your system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bayou52
01-18-2017, 10:03 AM
The Frankfort tumbler claims to hold up to a 1000 223 brass pieces. I think that is a little high for my applications. I have been running around 750 pieces in a batch with the 5 lbs of pins that came with the tumbler with an estimated 1/2 tsp of citric acid and an ounce or so of the armour all wash and wax. Depending on how nasty the brass is will dictate how long to tumble. There have been some recent threads about soaking the brass in water and lemi shine or citric acid ahead of time for better results. I'm going to try that method soon. Trial and error will help you refine your system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi, tstowater -

I think I was the poster who posted about pre-soaking the brass. It has cut tumbling time for me. I don't decap and tumble on the same day, so I decap on one day and just let the brass soak overnight. No lost time for me.

I'd be interested in hearing about your results if you decide to pre-soak. Also, I have not yet experimented with pre-soaking for shorter periods than overnight.

Thanks!

Bayou52

rodsvet
01-18-2017, 11:02 PM
I tried all the car wash and wax stuff and went back to Dawn and Lemi Shine. It seems to clean better and faster for me. I then load soon thereafter and the put them in my vibratory cleaner with a squirt of Nu Finish for about 20 minutes. They look like jewelry so much, you hate to shoot them! They do not get dull and my AR's love em! Your mileage may differ. I use the hottest water, 140 degrees I can get and it really helps. Enjoy!!

SlowBurn
01-21-2017, 02:49 AM
2 gallon drum
10 lbs pins
6.5 lbs brass
1 tbs dawn
1/2 tsp lemishine (I think I can cutback)
very hot water to 1" below top of drum
2-3 hours with the speed set so that you can hear the brass tumble; too slow and it slides in the bottom of the drum; too fast and it spins with the drum

g'luck!

monmouth
01-23-2017, 11:23 PM
I started out with this setup out of my garage:
https://www.amazon.com/Thumlers-Model-R2-Rock-Tumbler/dp/B003KSSHD6

Bought it used for $50 via a craigslist ad. Just used 1/3 full of stainless pins, filled it with brass, cold water, little squirt of dish soap, and a sprinkling of lemishine. It does a great job on a small budget. My wife would yell "spending more money on gun stuff, when is it enough?"

That little tumbler and this very community is the beginning of Monmouth (I used it to clean my first brass sold here). I still have that tumbler and it sits on my shelf. Will never sell it and very thankful for all your support!