PDA

View Full Version : MEC 650 questions

wyofool
01-16-2017, 11:20 PM
I got a MEC 650 from a friend and it is missing a few parts, the primer cover, primer seating assy, and the charge bar.
I haven't done any shotshell reloading in 55? years or so, and am not real up on it. The primer stuff I found on ebay and a few other places so no problem there. The charge bar however is a real question mark. Should I get a universal charge bar? or several MEC charge bars? If MEC then which ones? Also what hulls? wads? primers? I have 25lbs of #9 shot but would more than likely reload #4 to say #6 since target loads are so cheap at the big box stores.
Any suggestions or information would be helpful. These will for an 870 12ga. As a side note my wife says I'm frugal(ie: I'm cheap).

fecmech
01-17-2017, 12:20 PM
If you are somewhat "value conscious" as am I the universal charge bar is the answer. I have one on my Mec Grabber 12 ga and it works just fine. That will save you buying multiple bushings and charge bars. If you were just going to load 1 load all the time than the desired charge bar and bushing would be ok. The 650 is a great little progressive press the only downside is that it does not resize. I have one in 20 ga. that I use weekly. As long as you are just reloading for your 870 that should not be a problem. The Remington Gun Club and other Remington promotional loads hold up well for many reloadings. Claybuster wads are about the most economical and the powder will be determined by the shot weight and velocity you want to shoot. Good luck to you.

dverna
01-17-2017, 12:36 PM
You need to match the wad to your load and your hull. Best thing to do is get the Lyman Shotshell manual.

I have had better performance using wads from Downrange than Claybuster. Wads are so cheap that saving money there is not worth it....at least for me.

Gunclub hulls are good cheap hulls. The STS are the best. If you reload Federal hulls you need a different wad. The Topgun and Estates can be reloaded but only once. Be wary of these as range pickups as they have a paper basewad and be sure they are dry.

Don Verna

Hardcast416taylor
01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Missing parts can be gotten from MEC by contacting them. If you only intend to load 1 weight of charge then I`d just by a bar for that weight and get bushings for different powders and weights.Robert

tstowater
01-17-2017, 04:46 PM
If you know what you are looking for, you may be able to buy some of the missing pieces at a gun show. Sometimes, the price is pretty reasonable and no shipping.

wyofool
01-17-2017, 10:20 PM
I guess I'll have to decide on how much shot then powder. Any suggestions for starting out? I have plenty of 700X and Unique so one will be the powder.

bdicki
01-17-2017, 11:58 PM
Much reading here.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=635cc01832741a4efe98e2417a687c7e

dverna
01-18-2017, 12:15 AM
I guess I'll have to decide on how much shot then powder. Any suggestions for starting out? I have plenty of 700X and Unique so one will be the powder.

Powder will depend on what you are loading for. You seem reluctant to buy a manual, so go to the manufacturer sites and determine what suits your needs. 700x is a decent powder for target loads and field loads.

Good luck

Don Verna

wyofool
01-18-2017, 02:18 PM
I have the Lyman manual on order and will give it a read before deciding on charge bars.

Powder will depend on what you are loading for. You seem reluctant to buy a manual, so go to the manufacturer sites and determine what suits your needs. 700x is a decent powder for target loads and field loads.

Good luck

Don Verna

mtgrs737
01-19-2017, 12:22 PM
I have 8 MEC shotgun reloaders and all but one has a universal charge bar in it. I like to be able to fine tune my drops of either powder or shot. I recommend them but not all people have the best luck with them as you must follow the directions that come with them for them to work properly. You can get them from Recob's target shop, Midway, and several other online sellers. Cabela's also has them but make sure you get the one that is for progressive loaders for your 650Mec.

1bluehorse
01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
MEC will have any parts for the 650 that you need. As stated in another reply about the 650 not resizing a hull is partly true. It WILL resize but only as a seperate step. To do this you need the resize die (screws into the press over the primer punch) and an "anvil" that fits into the shell carrier at the priming station. It's not a very good system, but it does work. I have that set up for 12 and 20 gauge units and have used them but not unless I have to.
If you think you're going to load a few different loads (powder & shot) then I also think the universal charge bar is probably the best way to go, but the 45 bucks or so for one will buy you 10 or so Mec powder bushings along with a couple different shot bushings too, so dealers choice.
Agree on the hull choices from others. Two types of hulls, straight and tapered. The only two brands that are tapered (off the top of my head) are the Remingtons and Winchesters. Every thing else will be straight wall. Makes a difference, the straight wall generally have more capacity. Try to use wads that match the hull type (straight wall or tapered). It will all be in the Lyman manual.
700X powder is my personal favorite for 12 gauge 1oz loads. I don't use much Unique except in handgun but it is a good powder for shotshells.

Walter Laich
01-20-2017, 05:45 PM
I got a super sizer to make up for the lack of sizing offered.

I have gotten in the habit of resizing every hull before reloading. good insurance so the shells go into and out of the chambers without hanging up.

universal charge bar is well worth it for me. I could see going broke buying all the bushings