PDA

View Full Version : thumbler tumbler question

porthos
01-16-2017, 06:02 PM
i have a thumbler's tumbler mod. B. haven't used it for over 20 years. i bought it used for $25.00. anyway, the problem is that the motor gets very hot. (can't hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds) a new motor cost $89.00. while reading the web page about the motors; i see that they advertise 2 new tumblers. one with 1550 rpm and the other at 3000 rpm. the 3000 rpm is advertised to be used for brass tumbling. I'm sure that mine is the 1550 because, its pretty slow. anybody have the faster one? and if i buy a new tumbler, is there a better one than the thumbler brand? thoughts? suggestions?

porthos

Bayou52
01-16-2017, 06:49 PM
I have a Thumlers model B with the high-speed motor. It's a bit over 4years old. It runs cool, but should it over-heat, it has an auto-shut off feature. My Thumlers has been a workhorse, and I've got a lot of tumbling time on it. I switched from factory belts to o-rings as the factory belts weren't lasting too long. My first o-ring is now over 3 years old and still going. I would recommend the Thumlers Model B.

Since I bought my Thumlers, however, several newer wet tumblers arrived on the scene:

1. Rebel 17 which is a similar design to the Thumlers B but its carriage uses bearings rather than bushings on the axles, and

2. Frankfort Arsenal Rotary Tumbler which is a different design using internal drive motor rather than a drive belt.

There are tons of reviews for each of these. Just google them. They are all very good tumblers.

Bayou52

Jeff Michel
01-16-2017, 07:01 PM
I have used a slow RPM for years, the motor will get hot after 6-7 hours but not not too hot to touch. Sounds like you have poor air flow into the motor. You might want to consider spraying the insides with electrical contact cleaner and lubricate it per the manufactures recommendations (couple drops of 3in1 in the motor oil hole) and I haven't had a speck of trouble with it forever and I polish alot of brass. Other brands, you name them and I have burned them up, RCBS, two different models, a Lyman and Frankfort and four of the brand that Midway use to guarantee for life. Midway finally told me that "This is the last one they were going to replace" When it died I went to Thumbler's and haven't needed anything else since.

salpal48
01-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Many Of the Older Thumler My is over 20 years old . The motors were made to be Commercial, Continuos Running. Always running Hot.. Your Motor my be working too Hard. meaning It dirty. . Disconnect and Clean it.
To clean it , remove the pulley. soak the entire motor in mineral sprits overnight. Next day. Remove , shake out . and let Dry or used a Hair dryer to Dry. It will smell for a while. but will remove Dried, Grease, Oil and Dust Then Light oil
Do not plug in while in The mineral sprits . That my help.

Bent Ramrod
01-16-2017, 07:36 PM
My Thumler's Tumbler motor runs pretty hot too. And runs and runs and runs. A drop of oil each in the holes over the motor bearings, a few drops on the bushings on the rolling rods, and it's ready for another half-dozen sessions of four hours apiece.

I won't begin to worry about mine until or unless it starts making noises, smokes, or stops running. If a new motor costs $89, the old one won't owe me anything by the time it conks out.

KohlerK91
01-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Mine would run hot too. I checked the amp draw and it was in line with the nameplate. Figured it was normal.

porthos
01-16-2017, 08:57 PM
well i solved the motor issue. found a new one on e-bay for $48.00 +$11.00 shipping. after arrival i will thoroughly clean the inside and re lube. will post results here. probably end of next week

Doggonekid
01-19-2017, 12:13 AM
My motor on my RCBS only got hot once. I forgot I had it running. I found it in my garage and I figure it had been running 24/7 for a couple of weeks. When I shut it off it never came back on. RCBS replace my motor for free. What a great company!