PDA

View Full Version : Alox 350 on Eb*y

trooperdan
11-04-2005, 10:09 AM
There is a guy selling Alox 350 on evilBay for about $6 a pound. Supposedly this is the same as or close to the Alox 2138F used in the 50-50 beeswax-Alox lubes as well as the Lee liquid lube. I'm thinking about getting 5-6 pounds; does anyone know of a cheaper source or is this price "about right"?

Harry O
11-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't know about the cost, but you might want to know what Col. E.H.Harrison said about it when he was experimenting with lubes (which culminated in the standard NRA lube). From the Cast Bullet Handbook:

"The successful development began with Alox 350, a wax of dark red-brown color and a pungent, but not unpleasant odor. Its softness and low melting point of 100 to 110 degrees F make it unsuitable for direct use as a bullet lubricant. After a trial of 12 variations supplied by the manufacturer, the one chosen as the lubricant base was Alox 2138F, in which the melting point is 160 degrees F."

"The final lubricant.......was composed of equal parts Alox 2138F and pure yellow beeswax."

9.3X62AL
11-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Not a lube maker here, but that's "good to know" info. I still use Javelina for just about everything smokeless.

Harry O
11-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Greetings Deputy Al. I was finally able to get this site to let me on after I got a new computer and new e-mail address.

How is your 32-20 rifle doing? Mine is doing great. Have you retired yet? I will be working until I drop. Since back when Shooters was around, I have added a old-style .32 Mag Ruger Single Six and rechambered a S&W NewModel 16 to 32-20. See this for its picture:
http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10063&***=10

I also now have 11 different bullet moulds for the 41 Long Colt. Only about 4 are worth a damn. The range I belong to tore down their pistol range a couple of years ago and have not rebuilt it so I have been spending more time with old and odd rifles. A 9.5x57 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, a 1905 Ross Rifle, a 30-40 Krag I restocked and added a peep-sight to, various flintlocks (including a two-shot, swivel-barrel), a couple of Ruger No. 3's and a .375 Winchester Big-Bore that I am using for cast. My wife likes the .375 Win when I reload it with black powder for her -- sort of a faux 38-55.

9.3X62AL
11-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Harry--

Yeah, I retired in June. I haven't done a lot with the 32-20 rifle yet, but its early indications with factory loads and a few reloads using #311316 show promise. I spent much of the past summer in masochistic exercises with the Marlin 1894CL x 25-20, and finally found some decent loads with #257312. #257420 is pretty much a waste of time in the little rifle, it seems. Maybe it will behave in the M-99 x 250.

I remember the conversion for the Model 16-4 to 32-20, but had not seen a pic of the gun. What a beauty! I've left my 16-4 x 6" in 32 Mag, since I have a S&W M&P x 5" and a Colt Bisley x 4.75" in 32-20. I remarked elsewhere here about how the 32 Mag does better work with boolits at or under 100 grains, and the 32-20 does better with the 115-120s. That's been my experience, at least.

A M/S 9.5 x 57.......that's a Model 1910, isn't it? Mannlichers are so cool, pure hunting rifles for sure.

Again, good to hear from you.

Harry O
11-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Yes, the 9.5x57 MS is a 1910. A nice takedown model. Got it in a complicated trade. Best thing about it was a complete set of Mannlicher Assn. newsletters along with it. A lot of information there. Haven't been able to find a full power cast load (I have several .375 moulds) for it, but it does well with 1,500 to 1,800fps loads. Beyond that, accuracy goes bad, but it doesn't lead until over 2,100fps. It also does very well with a 270gr jacketed Hornady RN at 2,160fps. With a 6-1/2 pound gun, that is painful on both ends of the gun.

As far as the .32's, I have several bullet moulds for them, but the plain-base RCBS 98gr RN-FP works the best in both the 32-20 and .32 Magnum handguns with moderate loads (900-1,000fps). The .32 Magnum works best between my old (hotter than stock) .32 Long loads and the current .32 Mag factory loads. If I try to go faster than that (like a lot of .32 Mag guys have done), accuracy goes bad pretty fast. I have tried the gascheck Lyman and have only gotten so-so results from it. Going from softer (Bhn 12) to harder (Bhn 18) lead above the gascheck helps a little, but it is still not anywhere near the accuracy possible with jacketed. The best jacketed in my .32 Magnums is the 85gr Hornady XTP. The 32-20 handgun is the 100gr XTP. The best for my Marlin 32-20 rifle is the Remington 100gr soft-nose. I only use full power loads (and some may be considered more than "full power") with jacketed.

I have been having a lot of fun with cast loads in the 30-40 Krag, but again, much over 1,500fps or so it doesn't work nearly as well. Fortunately, that is a nice easy load (low recoil) that is accurate enough that I can plink a lot at the range with without having problems with cumulative effect of recoil.

Wayne Smith
11-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Harry O

Good to see you here. I read your article on LeverGuns when I got a .41 Colt. I didn't know that there were that many mold for the beast! I'm happy with the one I got.

I got the NEI .41 Colt heeled bullet mold, I forget the number. It had a "heel" 2/3's of the bullet length! Obvious problem, and reasonably obvious solution. I sent it to Richard (Buckshot) and he cut it out so the heel is only 1/4 of the length. Made it a touch big, so he made me a sizer, too! I've shot a couple, enough to know that they don't tumble @ 25 yds. Still need to get back to Lee and have them make a Factory Crimp die for it. First time I tried they sent it back denying that they could do it, complaining that the case was too short! My trim to length is just under 1" with that bullet. Lee makes a Factory Crimp die for the .25ACP, for crying out loud.

Harry O
11-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Wayne. You probably have an NEI #213 or #214 (current numbers). Both had short heads and long tails. They were made so people could load heel-base bullets into long cases (the hollow-base bullet case at 1.13") and still fit inside Thunderer or 41-frame DA's. All my other heel-base bullets require a shorter case (about 1.0") in order to fit in the DA's.

The first ones I bought (since I did not have a mould) were hard cast -- VERY hard cast. One had a hard-black coating on it that was supposed to be magical. There was no leading, but there was also no accuracy. I speculated that they would do somewhat better in soft lead, but I finally decided to quit speculating and get a mould to try myself. I got a two cavity mould with one of each in it. I cast them in 40:1 lead/tin that did better than the hard cast ones, but not good enough. The bullet tips in the bore.

The best three I have are the two hollow-base ones and an "Old West" heel-base bullet. There are a couple of others that are pretty good, a Lyman 385177 and the Ballisticast version of the same. Nothing else I have is worth shooting.

Bodydoc447
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a Rapine hollow based, inside seated bullet that works pretty good with standard length cases. It is a lot like the 386186(?) Lyman. I really enjoyed your article, too, Harry O. I only have a couple of the old Colt DA to work with, and only one works. The other was carried as a police officer by my mother's uncle many years ago. Got passed down to me as a fixer-upper.

Doc

Wayne Smith
11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I only cast these in pure, soft lead. Well, as soft and pure as the sheet lead is, anyway. I don't suppose it's much different than 40-1, but it fills and falls from the mold fine as pure lead, so I don't add no tin. I shortened the case in order to fit in the cylinder, I figure I've got enough case to double charge Bullseye anyway, no? I havent shot it with the Holy Black yet, gotta do that once I'm back on my feet and functioning normally, and get some other work done at the range!

Leftoverdj
11-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Back to the Alox.

2138 has been discontinued. 350 is the most suitable Alox still made. $6 a pound is pretty steep compared to the manufacturers price, but it beats having to buy a five gallon bucket full.

We've looked into a group buy, but with repackaging and shipping costs, it would not come out much cheaper.

I'm happy with homebrew Felix and would not bother with Alox for solid lube. That price might be attractive to someone who intends to cut it with mineral spirits for a tumble lube.

trooperdan
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Hey Letoverdj, did you find a source for Alox type products? I haven't had much luck find any of the various type for sale other than one guys on EBay.

I have a couple of "projects" I'd like to try and a 5 gal pail would be OK, if the price wasnb't too exorbitant.

Leftoverdj
11-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Dan, a year or two ago, I found the site of the company that bought ALOX out. They have half a dozen or so distribution points across the country, but only a couple carried ALOX 350 in quantities as small as 5 gallons and even those only off and on. The closest was in Ohio and may have been dock pickup only.

A few of the fellows managed to con pint free samples but the company had gotten wise before I got to them.

If I can find the site again, I'll post it.

NuJudge
11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
http://www.lubrizol.com/Metalworking/AmericasProducts/contactinfo.asp

CDD

bascom32423
11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.lubrizol.com/Metalworking/AmericasProducts/contactinfo.asp

CDD

Can't find any Alox 350 at that site. Does it have another name?

Henry

rugerman1
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Can't find any Alox 350 at that site. Does it have another name?

Henry
Here 'ya go! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ALOX-350-For-NRA-formula-Cast-Bullet-lube-1-5-LBS_W0QQitemZ7195123554QQcategoryZ7308QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) [smilie=s:

lar45
11-09-2005, 12:44 AM
I have a 55 gal drum of Alox 350. I'm supposed to have some boxed up to send out, but have been abit busy latley. cutting up Elk in the Garage:) Cows, no antlers to take pics of. They sure do taste good though.

I think that if I double bagged it and sent in a USPS flat rate box that it would ship alright. Home Depot has some new 1 qt and 1 gal cans that it could be packed in, don't know the price though.

I'll have to check on my shipping cost, but I think I could sell it for about $3.50 a lb + shipping if anyone is interested.

I don't want to put any in a flat rate envelope and have it get squished out everywhere. Depending on weight and zip code, it might be cheaper to send it parcel post?? I'm at 83201.

Scrounger
11-09-2005, 01:37 AM
I have a 55 gal drum of Alox 350. I'm supposed to have some boxed up to send out, but have been a bit busy lately. cutting up Elk in the Garage:) Cows, no antlers to take pics of. They sure do taste good though.

I think that if I double bagged it and sent in a USPS flat rate box that it would ship alright. Home Depot has some new 1 qt and 1 gal cans that it could be packed in, don't know the price though.

I'll have to check on my shipping cost, but I think I could sell it for about $3.50 a lb + shipping if anyone is interested.

I don't want to put any in a flat rate envelope and have it get squished out everywhere. Depending on weight and zip code, it might be cheaper to send it parcel post?? I'm at 83201.

A heavy duty plastic bag in one of the Priority Mail boxes might work. Also look at some kind of mailing tube. In any event, you want it sealed well so no oder gets out. They are super paranoid after 9/11; I shipped a lube sizer and they returned it to me because of the smell of the lube. They either have dogs or sniffing machines to smell all packages.

StarMetal
11-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Art

some explosives have parafin in them.

Joe

trooperdan
11-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Lars, I'd like maybe 10 pounds of that Alox, if you can figure a way to get it shipped. A flat rate box sounds pretty good. I didn't know the post office objected to nice sweet smells such as honest bullet lube!

G50-70
11-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Lar45, I would be interesed in about 5 pounds of the Alox. Thanks.

Gary

BABore
11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Lar45

I bet with all of that elk your cutting up that you got a vacumn sealer. Those vacumn bags are heavy duty and would have no Zip Loc to pop open. You could even double bag them.

jfl1950
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
What is the latest on the Alox 2138F?

geargnasher
05-17-2012, 12:11 AM
I dunno, a lot can happen in 6-1/2 years! :kidding:

I think Lar45 still sells the Alox 350 in cans from his website at whitelabelubes dot com, check it out. Wiljen indicated once that adding 7-8% petroleum microcrystalline wax (high melt point version) to the 350 makes 2138F.

Gear

runfiverun
05-17-2012, 03:22 AM
it does make the old 2138 formula.
just find whitelabel lubes and send him a p.m. or call them.
i think glen still has a thing somewhere in the vendor section.